Announcing "The Garage"

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by The-Garage, Mar 16, 2017.

1. The-Garage

The-Garage Registered

The Garage

The garage is a community project intended to bring anyone interested in physics modding together, to learn and to exchange knowledge and experiences. While many people seem interested in physics modding, it is quite a challenge. The goal of this project is get several people together working on a single car, on their own and as a team. While doing this, we hope to answer as many questions as possible from the participants during the whole process while we can also learn from each other.

The plan is to work together on the McLaren M4B 1967 F1 car, creating physics from scratch. We will cover several aspects such as collecting data, working with the already available tools and all areas of physics modding.

Different aspects of physics modding will be covered one by one with regular sessions on our discord channel. This car is made available by @CrossPly and @klaasvh who just announced their 1967 F2 mod here https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/1967-formula-2-mod.54810/#post-882790

Everyone is welcome to join. Visit our discord channel here for more information.

https://discordapp.com/channels/288599433170649088/288599433170649088

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

haunetal1990, Rastas, cosimo and 30 others like this.
  2. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Great idea

3. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

What a cool idea.

I'd be interested in a basic version of this for some one starting at the beginning if ever anyone wants to do such a thing ;)

Gracie Dylan and patchedupdemon like this.
  4. LeStrat

LeStrat Registered

Count me in!
    But... I can not find the discord channel.

Edit: Found.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    klaasvh likes this.
  5. MrSlowly

MrSlowly Registered

Could you create an invite for the channel, can't seem to find it

Goanna likes this.
  6. The-Garage

The-Garage Registered

7. The-Garage

The-Garage Registered

Hey guys, yes we still are working on the car in case you were wondering ;) It is actually comming along nicely.
    @klaasvh and @CrossPly did an amazing job on the model and the gfx so far, thx so much guys!
    We've got a little preview video to share with you of the Mclaren M4B. However there are still a few bits to finalise and polish up for release. :)

davehenrie, pascom, Rastas and 15 others like this.
  8. jimagn

jimagn Registered

My mouth is literally watering. Great work.

9. scalino

scalino Registered

hey guys, very much interested by this project. As modding tools, I already got 3DSimEd but haven't started getting my hands on it, so it could be some incentive to get into it. However, i guess this group will be more oriented towards the physics calculation themselves, although among other things i'm particularly curious about how we link together the model side of a car to its physics files, etc...

Beyond the projected work on the F1, if some ppl in the project would be interested by modeling from scratch some modern road cars (I'm thinking at cars like: Peugeot RCZ, Peugeot 206 CC, or more recent -hybrid- models, like Honda CRZ & the new NSX, ...) or even some rally cars of the 80s : Samba Rally, Autobianchi A112 Abarth, Renault 5 Turbo 16, Peugeot 205 GTI, Volskwagen Golf GTI, etc...), let's get in touch on the discord channel.​

10. The-Garage

The-Garage Registered

AND HERE IS THE MCLAREN M4B!!

The M4B was the 1967 Formula 1 car raced by Bruce McLaren. The McLaren M4B's F1 Grand Prix debut came at Monaco 1967. Its short wheelbase made it surprisingly competitive. McLaren ran as high as third before a pit stop to replace a flat battery dropped him back to fourth at the finish At the next event, the Dutch Grand Prix Bruce, McLaren finished 14th in qualifying. On the second lap of the race, McLaren crashed out, running the only M4B. The car was later repaired, but caught fire during a test at Goodwood and was written off.

Technical specifications

Bathtub monocoque formed from aluminium panelling bonded and riveted to four mild steel bulkheads
    Single top link with radius arms and lower wishbones, outboard coil spring/shock units and anti-roll bar in front. Twin radius arms, reversed lower wishbones and single top links with outboard coil spring/shock units at rear.
    Girling or Lockheed 10½ inch discs all around with AR calipers
    Formed by monocoque sides plus fibreglass nose cone and cockpit surround
    2.1-litre BRM V8 with Hewland DG300
    Wheelbase 93 inches, front track 54 inches, rear track 54 inches, overall length 121 inches , height 30 inches, weight (with ballast) about 1120 pounds to comply with F1 limit.

The M4B is the first group project from the Garage.
    Its physics are made in collaboration with smbrm, Miro, Devin and Jokeri. The sounds were made by wolferl and deep-strike. The stunning car model is made by Klaash and Crossply as part of their ongoing F2 project.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/1967-formula-2-mod.54810/

These amazing looking F2 models will also each receive their own physics, which will be created as part of the second project of The Garage. Everyone is invited to join (read first post please)!

Download: http://bit.ly/2CY8Plf
    Steam workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1320455423

Special thanks to Michael Borda for the rF2 Physics Calculator which was used for the development of this car, ISI/Studio 397 for the rF2 plattform and everybody else involved in The Garage.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  11. MrMaverick

MrMaverick Registered

MOD OF THE YEAR!!!

12. Tucker Fleming

Tucker Fleming Registered

13. CrossPly

CrossPly Registered

Great work by the guys putting the physics together.

Here's some screenshots of the recently implemented rain and damage effects.

Fibreglass damage for the nose and engine cover:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aluminium damage for the monocoque:
    [​IMG]

Rain:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lbird, pkelly, pascom and 23 others like this.
  14. Emery

Emery Registered

"I LIKE IT!"

Has a really nice "alive" feeling. Sometimes tries to kill me with the default setup, yet not lethal (unlike BT20 in that regard). Great to watch the suspension moving around, can feel the FFB reacting to my inputs. Managed to T-bone an AI, thus confirmed that the visual damage works like a charm. Sound level for trackside cameras seems a bit muted.

15. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

the quality of work!!!

[​IMG]

bwana likes this.
  16. bwana

bwana Registered

The essence of Rf2 rolled out of a garage In front of proud tradesmen and technicians ,, take a bow gentlemen !!!

17. sdancourt

sdancourt Registered

Great work! Cheers!!

18. Louis

Louis Registered

The best engine sound in cockpit view. impressive

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I totally agree with Louis...brings back memories of the old Brabham Blaattt from GPL. I'd like to apologize to the Garage crew, especially the transmission team, they'll be needing to clean out the box after my many pathetic missed shifts! I tried the car first time on a track I've never simmed on so it was a comedy for the first few laps. But let me say...after about 10 minutes it was fun. REALLY fun. And, a-lot of my driving enjoyment comes from little things I didn't expect, like this 'little' moment.
    I was following a car through a series of tight corners and sun caught the chrome rear wheel jussst right and a perfectly sized bit of glare reflected off the rim. I don't know if this is credit to S397 and their DX11 efforts, or the Garage team, but it set a smile on my face just for that instant. Great work guys.

20. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

Truly Stunning... speechless...