AMS to RF2 car conversion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Simonk, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Hi guys
    I'm stuck trying to convert a car from AMS to RF2. I'm pretty sure the car was originally an RF1 car. I've got it working in the spinner and looking ok but when I go to track, the progress bar gets all the way to 100% then crashes to desktop. There are no pop up errors (although I did have to work through a few errors with the HDV and Gen file but these are all cleared) There are no errors in the trace file relating to the car and the trace is identical to when loading a car that works. The last line in the failed trace is "Loading Status: Not Loading". This line appears in the successful trace also with the following line "Set veh file filter" . I don't know if this means that the converted car is failing to load because of this step in the loading process or it just happens to be the next step at the time the car causes RF2 to crash. Any ideas?

2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

It can be maaaany things... The trace doesn't say anything about missing tyre brand or anything? It can also just be a missing file - spanding from .sfx to damage files etc. which the .veh file isn't pointing correctly towards...

The fact that you've got it loading in the spinner, hints towards that the error lies when you're going to have to be driving the car.

3. Simonk

Simonk Registered

The trace is identical line by line to the car that loads correctly, other than the obvious different reference to each car. I had some errors come through the trace initially because I forgot to rename the TBC in the HDV but once I fixed that, there are no errors reported in the trace. I've compared the VEH to a working VEH to make sure all the relevant references are included and crosschecked that all the physics files are there and named correctly.

4. redapg

redapg Registered

@Simonk Like @Bjørn has said already, there can be a lot of Reasons, why a Car won't load in DevMode, which are not always appearing in the Trace File.
    You did say that you forgot to rename the tbc File in the hdv.
    Do you also use the correct Names for the Damage and Engine ini Files?
    And are all Files properly linked in the veh File?
    And ensure, that you don't have any Files in the DevMode Vehicles Folder, that have the same Name, but different Content, neither as loose Files nor packaged in mas Files.
    If you can not find out what the Problem is and don't mind to upload your Mod somewhere and send me the Link, feel free to open a private Conversation with me.

5. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

As stated by every one else. It can be many things. and as also stated, the trace file isn't very intuitive to know exactly what is causing the issue.

For me the tire files always seem to be the biggest issue in this case. Try taking the tbc and tgm files from the Skip Barber, and replace the hdv line.

One thing that always got me, is if you have the "main" files in a .mas and have the files also loose in the folder. The main files being the .gen, .hdv, .ini, .tgm, .tbc, .cam, .sfx, etc. If you keep the files loose, you'll need to delete the .mas. I can grab a screen shot of what I mean when I get back home.

6. redapg

redapg Registered

It's hard to judge from what you post here. :)
    If i understood it right, you didn't convert the Meshes from AMS/rF1 to rF2 (with 3DSimEd3 for Example)?
    "rfactordec" is the old Encryption Method for rF1, so it is useless here.
    What do you want to achieve?
    Do you want to learn how you can convert Mods from one Game to another?

7. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Have you tried with v1130 - previous-release?

I've seen a lot of reports of crashing to desktop with the new release.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Also... the tool you used is a decryption tool and a tiny bit illegal.