Amount of space on ssd/hdd

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by IvysaurRF2, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gupster

Gupster Registered

I'm wondering why the workshop content isn't stored in the packages folder with the rest of the content. That way we wouldn't need 2 copies of every dang subbed item. Seems silly to archive it twice.... my opinion. And yes my ssd is getting crowded from this as it exists right now.

IvysaurRF2, Ernie and jerrymcc like this.
  2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Workshop has it's own storage. You'd never be able to control or stop workshop, even select what you want from workshop or not without it this way.

3. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Hi, all.

I didn't know about this thread before, so I'll re-post what I wrote in another thread.

Yesterday I had issues with my rF2 installation and it turned out, that the folders (junction points) of my "cache" and "packages" had dissappeared ...

I always had those two linked with a junction point (mklink /j) to one of my HDD RAIDs, for saving precious SSD space and it always worked just fine.

Consequently, when I checked the local files for errors, it wanted to download some +10GB from Steam.
    I interrupted that download, exited Steam, manually copied back the cache and packages folders from my RAID and restarted Steam.
    After that, everything was back at a normal state, file verification completed without errors and rF2 was running as expected.

To verify my findings, I deleted the two folders and linked them back again.
    When I started another verification of my local rF2 files, the links vanished again and the +10GB download started all over.

So it seems, there's a fundamental difference whether those folders are physically present or "just" linked via a junction point.

However, IMHO the update process must not delete those entire folders, but only the affected packages.
    Simply because it'll delete all non-steam packages and cache files as well.
    Without my backup, it would have been a pain in the arm, to get back all those non-steam files.

Cheers,
    Max

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Max Dralle bear in mind this happened to Alex in this thread, without using mklink. Deleting the link will break the junction and force the game to redownload, but if the game updating did that then everyone using junctions would have this issue for every update. The issues mentioned and linked to in this thread were related to the steam client, so it's possible something similar happened to you, and using junctions or not would have made no difference.

5. Lgel

Lgel Registered

It happened to me with the last update to 1109, no steam problem here.
    If the script removes the directory \cache before rewriting it, it erases the redirection.

Cheers.

6. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

I don't know why, but in my case it made a difference.

However, for the reasons I posted above, deleting the entire folders should be a no-go.

7. Alexis Clapano

Alexis Clapano Registered

Hi, not sure if this issue is somewhat related to this thread but ill post it anyway. I am getting an error everytime I exit from the game. Please see attached for the error.

Things done so far but nothing has solved it:
    1. verified integrity a few times
    2. reinstalled gpu drivers
    3. re-installed visual c++ program

I also do not have anything inside rfactor2/_commonredist/vcredist folder but i do not know what to put or what should be there.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net