Amount of different AI opponents

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Johannes Rojola, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Is there any way of selecting how many of which AI opponents there is in the race?

Example, if I have a mod which has Fords and Buicks. Now I want to have a race where there is 29 Fords and one Buick for AI cars. Is this possible to set up and how? If not, then I guess this should go to "Wishlist" :eek:

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Setup the race to only be Ford's and Buick's and then kick all the Buick's till you have 1 left. Start adding AI and every time that the AI puts in another Buick, kick him and continue till grid is full. Such a PITA, but it is doable.

3. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks for your contribution Gearjammer, as usual.
    However, in my experience this does not always work. Yesterday I set up a race at Nords featuring Meganes, Maseratis, Nissan Gt4s and Gt1s. 29 AI. When it loaded, I was the only one in a Nissan. I booted and added, over and over again but still no Nissans were added.
    Its the sort of issue, like AI not pitting sensibly due to weather or having to set seat and mirror positions all the time, that we've always been expected to just 'put up' with.
    Its half arsed and simply not good enough. Lets hope that ISI doesn't assume we don't mind if parts of the game are essentially broken.

4. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Yes this is what I have used, but it is very inconvient when there are many dozens of cars...

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I never said it was ideal, hehe, and yes it would be great to say that you want 4 Ferrari's, 4 Porsche's, 4 Megane's etc. Would make for a lot more interesting racing when going against the AI, though I never race against the AI.

6. osella

osella Registered

In rf1 I solved this by actually disabling the .veh files I didn't want in my races.
    Using total commander I searched the mod directory for all .veh files, and then simply renamed those I do not want to different extension (like .off for ex.).

This is not going to be as simple in rf2 as you will have to generate the whole mod again I guess. And another reason why I'm not too happy that rf2 is not 100% open as rf1.

In both rf1 and rf2 this would of course cause mismatches but I tend to spend most time offline anyway.

In a gigantic mod like Enduracers this was almost necessary because the mod came with too many skins (=vehicle files). There were over 500 vehicles IIRC so if you wanted to race 30AIs and selected all the cars, you could end up with 20x 911s, 10x 430s and no protos whatsover. So I simply disabled as many cars as needed depending on what track I raced.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

These changes have been wished for before, the trouble I see and I agree partly with Argo is that ISI seem to be doing the hard stuff and forgetting about the simple things. Different AI selections, mirror adjustments per mod, very basic ui, hundreds of options hidden in ini files, these are the little things that need attention and have needed attention since rf1. My main worry is that we're gonna have to deal with what we're given whilst ISI takes the plaudits for releasing new mods and tracks, please guys...sort the basics out!

8. osella

osella Registered

I totally agree, I wouldn't care if no new content comes until gold, we need things like that much more than new content now. Currently I cant enjoy rf2 at all because there are so many issues, almost none of which were solved since January.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Good suggestion, and something I have ran into myself.

Content creation has no effect on development speed. Someone who knows how to use 3DS Max, isn't working on code. That should be fairly common sense. :) Content coming, or not coming, isn't slowing anything else down. The only connection they have is that features are (rarely) added for content, like the Turbo code was added for the release of the F2.

10. osella

osella Registered

Yes I know its common sense :p
    I'd just be happier if I saw more features like this actually coming in those beta builds.. maybe hire 1 more guy for coding.. eeh

11. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I would do it for free!!!!! but then again, I now so little about it, that I would probably only make it worse :p

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The thing that worries me Tim is the lack progress in these areas since rf1 let alone the beta period, you load up the UI from both games and theres barely any difference, simple features that were wished for post rf1 and long before RF2 was announced are not even in there. Its all well and good saying the usual "its coming" or "we'll get around to it in the future" but I have my doubts, its the basic stuff that goes a long way to making the game feel more user friendly that as we all know is just the same as its ever been.
    Having to edit ini files all the time is something that should've been addressed post rf1, its blatantly obvious that most of the player.ini options (for example) should be in the games UI and should've been there from the start.
    I can just see newcomers to rFactor2 being a bit bewildered if the basic things are not addressed when the game goes Gold, just a thought but you can see what I'm rabbiting on about!

1 person likes this.
  13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I can, yes. :)

14. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Will this somewhat simple option ever be worked on? Funny this thread was created almost two years ago. Some mods have 20+ cars and some have 2 or 3 and they are always left out. If I boot AI on a race day the option to add AI is disabled. Is this correct? I can only add AI on test days.