AMD GFX card performance issues, report directly to AMD here (link in thread)! Let's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Domi

Domi Registered

True. I checked this in AC some weeks ago, and it's just a 7% of performance.... again there is something odd with this engine, I remember it was also a fps killer in rF1.

2. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Tim just an idea. Why not do a report of that to all rF2 comunity? For me this is the best explanation that we can have and if said before I'm pretty sure that we have less complainers all over the internet about performance issues.

By the way thank you very much for the info but don't give up of AMD or try to contact them again and again because its too bad that we cannot play that on they're cards. :)

3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Thanks, mrlsflerslsmf :)

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So you're getting much better minimum and average fps with the current drivers, not the 12.11 that most people seem to prefer for RF2?

5. Domi

Domi Registered

And better maximum too.

6. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Today I read through this topic and decided to try the 12.11...

I was on 12.8 - I went to Silverstone with one Clio, myself... Put on the ctrl+F to get the framerate... The lowest recorded over 5 laps of driving myself was 17 fps, into turn 1... The loop-section is bringing it down to its knees as well - 18 FPS... The hangar straight gave me 60 FPS - my max.

Got the 12.11 - framework 4 edition and the cap2 - in turn one I got 19 FPS, hangarstraight 64. loop section 20-21.

It is really no improvement at my end...

My system specs: 3.10 GHz Q6600 Quad - 8GB 1066MHz DDR2 RAM - 6950 (Cayman unit me thinkz) at 850 MHz and 1285MHz on the 2GB DRAM

Will try the latest drivers now...

7. Andregee

Andregee Registered

it is nessessary to use cap2 with the 12.11 and the reportet Performance increase is valid for the 7xxx GCN Generation.

8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I did use cap2... No difference (tried with and without)

I did however just try the 13.11 drivers (Latest non-beta ones as of now). It did improve it overall, but not by much... It kept it out of the teens, barely... Lowest this time was 20 (T1). Highest (Hangar straight) was 61... Overall thought it felt a bit less crampy... Still had brought-to-the-knees problems in loop section and old pits (massively in the new ones and T1)... But maybe 5-ish FPS improvement in average around the track...

Not a cure for the ISI-AMD decease though, not at all.

I just wanna overclock the **** out of my card but it won't help any bit at all. Meh!

My settings are 1920x1080 32bit 60Hz FXAA On, AA on level 4

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
  9. MJP

MJP Registered

Are those settings just for testing or are you expecting to run with them all the time?

You have old CPU (decent in its day) on an old platform, a decent vid card but hardly cutting edge today, yet you're trying to run with almost maxxed out settings!

Reflections are heavy hitters start off turning them down/off, shadows too. Also shadows hit the CPU quite a bit too something to bear in mind with your CPU. Obviously you'll need to be careful about taking too much load off your GPU that it exposes any CPU weakness.

FWIW I get 24-45 FPS with your settings, your vid card's better than mine and my CPU is better than yours but at these settings I'm so GPU limited I could probably clock the CPU down without it making any difference.

10. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Of course I run with them since I got rFactor 2...

It's an okay card, it does pCARS and AC nicely...

I watched the CPU bar as well, there was plenty of resources.

I bet you, if I had the nVidia counterpart card of my 6950 2GB and clocked it up 50mhz it would handle it quite a lot nicer than my card - it is the bottleneck.

Of course I expect to run those settings - rFactor2 looks poor, trying to patch it up in the best way with the highest settings possible. I can't believe people have such low expectations when you see what the card can perform and make of other games and competitors.

How can you expect so bad performance from something that looks so dated? Naturally I expect to run those settings pretty much flawlessly - and I would, with a GTX 570.

11. Miro

Miro Registered

I would at least set the circuit details to low. It's just no difference at all to me. I don't even know how some tracks look with full settings. And it's a big difference in FPS. A few more trees don't really change stuff that much. And as I talk about that I have to say that could also be improved big times.
    When I set the track detail to low I really don't need grandstands and stuff all around the track. Heck in iRacing they even removed those bridges over the track at Silveerstone just to deliver good performance and that is what low settings are for. In rF2 there is still tons of useless stuff around on low settings.

As for the dated look I actually disagree with you. Yesterday as I was testing with the AM from URD with all those full settings I have to say rF2 looked quite good on the tracks I was (LD, Sebring, Mid Ohio, Poznan etc.). Sometimes even very very nice. And this not at late afternoon or in the morning. In it's "peak" times rF2 looks awesome actually IMO.

12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Retried pCARS yesterday... It blew me away graphically. Nothing beats it, and it slams rF2 graphically and that is pretty much the only area where it slams it.

Had Group A E30 on Silverstone with 10 AI's, they turned over in every corner, looked fun, showed an amazing damage model... but really it feels dull and scripted, not dynamic. But the looks, good god, they're good.

I can't turn down rF2 graphics, that's like amputing and amputees last few limbs... It's not right.

13. Miro

Miro Registered

Can't comment on that game, I don't have it.
    Seen some screens and yes they look good but TBH I may be one of the lucky ones cuz GFX were never the most important aspect to me in a sim and neither did I jump on that fashion train lately where GFX are all in a sim. What I need is solid performance on every track and slight GFX improvements are always a bonus for me. Just solid stuff man, not broken. Rain, night shadows n'stuff.

As for the eye candy I think we will have to upgrade at the end if we want to have it all. There is just no way around it, it seems. Endurance grid and and all maxed out on Silverstone or what ever new track with detailed cars just wont work with our hardware.

14. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

It's funny how people can talk around the issue...

I'm not talking about an endurance grid on Silverstone, I said one lousy Clio. It's not asking much in my optics. It is appalling.

That said, an endurance grid in rF2 probably won't be possible because it's a 32bit program... People already report about crashes with 20 cars where the 4GB's of RAM obtainable are used and wham...

15. Led566

Led566 Registered

Just did a race on race2play with 16 people.
    Howston at Brianza.
    With the settings I said before (several times as a matter of fact).
    12.11 beta 11 drivers.
    Vsync software.
    RadeonPro running Dynamic Vsync.
    55 fps at the start then 40 minute race with 60 fps constant.
    Not a single glitch.
    Buttersmooth.

Truth is out there for people that wants to know.

16. Led566

Led566 Registered

LOL you don't know what you're talking about.
    Tried the BES mod with 29 AI: 52 fps at the starting grid then 58-60.

17. Miro

Miro Registered

I get your point but I don't think the same way about GFX as you do, that's all.
    Honestly I don't talk around any issue, it's just the way it is for me. It's not that important, FPS performance on the other hand is.

I mentioned once that the performance is online worse for me than offline.
    League race with clios, 20 cars, I have every setting on low, every setting and get barely 60 FPS on an well optimized tracks like Symmons Plains. Now that's bad IMO.

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

That's just....sad

19. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

It's all bad lol :p

I see your point... I'm a bit of a sucker for eye candy, because I've been without it for well over 5 years... in 2005 rF1 looked splendid. It's not 2005 anymore... I had a mate who were playing WOW, he first saw BF2 (a 2005 game) in 2009 and was blown away like wooow, look at those graphics, which were dated in 2009, but he was 'starved' for graphics... That's a bit how I feel now with rFactor... Looking at pCARS or AC for that matter and I just realize how neglected it is and how 'starved' I've become. It works in other racers.

It's the principle in it... Something that looks so dated should f*cking run smoothly! Not something you'd have to turn right down to low... Then you could just as well stick with rF1... Of course that's not the case because rF2 has moved on in every other aspect... I'm just calling desperately for improvements on the visual side. It's about time.

A fix of the AMD issue would cut a lot of my frustrations right down. I could also just buy a nVidia card but then again... it's not right, it's the principle in it!

20. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered