AMD 14.4 Amazing driver thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrindil, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Miro

Miro Registered

125% performance increase would shoot the AMD cards up there just where they should belong comapred to the nVidia counterparts.

Is anybody able to run this benchmark test again? Really curious what the the outcome is.

I can't find the releated thread again where the detailed benchmark settings are listed??

[​IMG]

2. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Well, no luck for me with new drivers and crossfire.

14.4 WHQL gave me a lot of screen flickering and missing textures, I've decided to try few weeks older 14.4 Beta (RC1) drivers, but the same problem exist. Although other games works fine with new drivers and crossfire, I haven't seen any big improvements with Batman Origins for example or Assassins Creed 4.

Shame, since I can't play RF2 without textures, I downgraded back to 13.12 WHQL and now everything runs fine again.

3. Javik

Javik Registered

im very happy, max performance with 14.4, rfactor2 look petry at max settings.

4. Jul

Jul Registered

Just tried them and I am pretty disappointed with my HD6870:

using ISI F1 at Silverstone GP, I caped 60 fps in the pit, but on the end of the pit lane, I rich a solid 5fps ...
    so I uninstalled 14.4 and go back to 14.1 beta and now my fps are back.

There is an object in front of the car that break the fps: the fps go back 60 if I look back.

5. N0body Of The Goat

N0body Of The Goat Registered

Windows 7 and 8 have the new 14.4 WHQL, no surprises there.

But a ~14 year old operating system (XP) also has 14.4s, yet Vista (~7 years old) does not... How does that work?

6. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I'm one of the 6xxx owners where it actually works.

Silverstone start with 11 cars up from 24FPS to 38 or 36, the rest of it runs at my capped 40 frames (used to drop to 30 on some corners).

Most amazing improvement actually at historic Spa, external TV Cameras... watching the AI race I was getting lower than 20FPS on a lot of scenes, now it's 35 or more.

So yes, this does seem to be a bit of a magic driver (or rather: finally unlocking the potential of our cards), but I can't understand why it breaks stuff for some people like Jul and works for others. Very weird.

Oh, and is this artefact new, or did I just not see it until now: View attachment 12577

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

The Skippy Driver got the artefact in the face:
    View attachment 12578

Just curious if this is the new driver or something I missed before (seems unlikely?)

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

This http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/16951-R9-290-or-GTX-770-4GB ?

The performance of NV will still be better with rf2 and the AMD's just start to work with rf2 for some of us, it's only missed power, and still misses power, approximately ~ 25% imho.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

10. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

These 14.4 drivers are performing well on my 5870, I'd guess it's up about %20 more fps depending on the track.

Regards,

Sean

11. msportdan

msportdan Banned

guys if you want to keep hi FPS, i would advise you not to use the MOD tracks ive traied imola and monza and they 60% slower thatn the ISI tracks on the same Settings.
    Frees ones seems to be well optimised vo..

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Incredible! I'm preparing an online event next week with the Honda @ Croft and I'm getting like 80-100fps with every thing on high(no multi view) and with 17 cars on the start grid I have 65fps:eek: and rf2 looks much better and solid! Damn, this is just wowww:D

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Are any of you getting better performance in other games? Just dx9 games? Just rf2?

It's interesting how much of a difference has been made. Guess Joe was right that he had done what he could.

Sent using Tapatalk

14. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Nope, other DX9 games don't seem to be affected by this massive boost. It's like there was a certain API call or whatever specific to RF2 that really didn't work on the old drivers.

Also very notable for me how much faster it is to jump between cockpits, and it doesn't come with a FPS tank (previous switching to cockpit of another car would drop 20FPS for one or two seconds).

If I had to guess the improvement appears to be memory-management related?

15. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

I have gotten a "little" bit more performance, with Skyrim, but not much, maybe 3-4 fps, but the main thing with Skyrim, it fixed a lot of bugs.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Apparently Mantle won't be anything special when DX12 comes out. So hopefully ISI & rF2 waits for DX12 for an upgrade, rather than any sort of DX11 upgrade. They should be the first sim with DX12, since they are probnably the last on DX9. That would be so cool, if ISI went straight from DX9 to DX12 (while making sure to properly take advantage of DX12).

17. AndyG

AndyG Registered

HD5770 1GB. Definite improvement on FPS at the settings I use to race with. I can't max out for replay screenshots as before, it's simply too slow and stutter is very bad, actually affecting the sound as well. Texture on max kills it, one click down and it's just fine.

I've got a big improvement in Assetto Corsa (DX11) too (more detail and higher FPS possible). In Game Stock Car Extreme (DX9) I'm getting better quality images and FPS is just fine. My previous driver I was using was 1 year old.

Definitely an improvement for me.

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

deleted ! wrong thread :rolleyes:

19. Comante

Comante Registered

With my HD 5750 I've not seen a significant increase in FPS, but now I can consistently use higher visual settings inside RF2, and FPS are consistent. The only problem I have with those last 2 driver versions, is with overclocking, now my card appear to suffer with some application (trackir & DCS world) when overclocking is enabled.

20. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

A guy in Guru3D forum reported similar increase of performance with his DCS Flight Sim using DX9.