Am I being ignored T.W.? Regarding F2 v1.41 performance issue.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coanda, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Coanda

Coanda Registered

G'Day,

I am not sure why I am being ignored by TW. Maybe I am not however it sure feels like I am. After tactfully posting feedback, a pm, and raising my issue several times for the past week on the F2 v1.41 sticky I am yet to have any response. A reply to another users post indicated that it maybe due to the new F2 model density as the F2 is now up there with the Marussia and Brabham. As mentioned in my reply below, running the same Sebring test I can run the Marussia with no performance issue or mass frame drop outs. Sadly the new versions of the Vet C6 & F2 are now un-drivable for me and I am left in the dark as to what to do as my hardware levels & temps are all well within the limits of my test. I have completed a fresh install of build 240 and the previous version of these two vehicles ran silky smooth.

As a returning and paid up lifetime member I do not believe a simple response is asking to much. Maybe it is...

Cheers

mm

2. coops

coops Banned

Hey Tim is very busy sometimes not even around so he does not get to see every post. so now you have gone to this extreme he might just post or think your spamming.

3. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Ok Coops I get that he is busy and that is fair enough. He did originally reply to another member that directly replied under my original post however it did not tackle the root problem I am experiencing. Not that I am stalking but I have seen a fair few posts from Tim over the past week. To be honest this is really the first site I have ever fully engaged in and although I am in my 30s I sometimes do not know what is correct forum protocol etc... I don't understand how this would be considered spamming? Maybe I just don't know the true definition of Spamming. To me a subject was raised by an SME, I provided instant feedback sharing my problematic experience and am further seeking advice to understand the root cause and possibly what can be done to rectify my problem.

I don't know what to do. If I raise a problem and it is not acknowledged should I just put it behind me and forget about it? I try and be nice about it and provide as much info as possible for the good of the sim community as I am sure I am not the only one experiencing such a problem. I really don't know.

cheers anyway

mm

4. tjc

tjc Registered

First off I`m not trying to speak for (or defend) Tim... he`s well capable of doing that for himself but as coops has said, it`s generally only Tim that comes here to post/reply to posts and he gets asked lots of questions and is also kept pretty busy...

There`s also a good chance he has seen your post(s) and has asked one of the team for info or advice re your problem.

He may also have seen your posts and meant to get back to you but just forgotten, we are all human after all.

Really don`t think he`d ignore you though...

:)

5. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Fair point tjc. We have had good correspondence in the past and I see he puts a lot in around here. I guess I am acting on a feeling but I am sure I am way off as per usual... I am not looking to pick fights, who needs the added stress and I want to be active in our little sim community. Hopefully when my skills get better I can also give back somewhat with some 3D modelling.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

I am a bit guessing here but at some point I believe quite a few ISI cars got updated shaders which might make them more FPS hungry. I'm not sure whether Marussia got them yet. I did notice when I compared the old and new F2 that the new car gave me roughly 10 FPS less on Silverstone, down from 80 to 70. I didn't notice any increase of stuttering, but I have quite a new GPU with 2 GB memory. Stuttering would suggest to me that GPU or PC RAM is a limiting factor, as I get stutters as well when I max out everything on Silverstone, and I know it's GPU memory related for me.

7. Coanda

Coanda Registered

@ Stonec - Cheers for the info. I think I also read this. I could understand this 10-20FPS drop-out & stuttering behaviour happening on Silverstone especially as I have a donkey GPU however not on my trusty Sebring (test day) as my tests show only aprox 650mb of VRAM being used and GPU loads of under 70%. Even on Sebring if I put all setting to low, no AA, turn off all reflections and still cap frames at 40FPS it still chops 5-10 frames and stutters. I just installed and tested RadeonPro however it seems to be the same. If I uncap the frames on this Sebring test it sits between 65-80 so it is very strange it is behaving this way especially when capped.

I will be getting a 7990 soon however my current GPU still sits within rF2 system requirement spec.

I am baffled.

Oh I have also done all the PLR options.

PC Specs:
    i7 3930k @ 4.5Gz - HT Disabled
    Memory: 16GB
    Disk: SSD
    Video: HD4890 - 1GB OC
    M/B: Rampage IV Formula
    Monitor: 27" @ 1080p @ 120hz @2ms
    Wheel = CSR Elite

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I use to get much less fps with the bt20 before upgrading my gpu

Ming -I think your gpu must be bottlenecking somewhere

The physics / tires updates could be causing your CPU more work which is having a knock on effect

I know this may not make sense as your thinking CPU-gpu ustilisatiin figuars etc, but with very little CPU utilisation on my i7
    I had a +20% boost in fps with an overclock (from stock to 5ghz) (still low CPU utilisation lol)

Everything has to work together

Sometimes with rf2 & it's individual componants -once their updated all pc settings have to be reset also I.e start with min settings & gradually add detail/effects to find a happy medium

Running the resolution lower & not using AA helps me alot
    (In a racing sim I like Beth high fps)

Your system looks good but maybe your next upgrade will be a gpu ?

Hope Ive been of help

P.s re.tim I think he must have had an overdose by the users that have mentioned fps/ performance on silverstone etc I guess he only has so much time

9. Coanda

Coanda Registered

I just figured out what is causing the problem. It is the shadow setting. If I move this option from Low to Off I do not get any mass frame drop outs or stutters. From the previous Sebring test I can now put all setting back to High & Player detail to Full with 16x AF filtering and it runs baby smooth again at 40FPS. GPU load is only at 60% and VRAM is at 590mb.

Do you think I am right in raising this as a bug?

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Try different combinations of settings as it may not be the shadows, try lower res / no fxaa / lower AA (or none)

Wait until you get the new gpu & report it if its a problem then
    (I think your present gpu is the bottleneck in your system)

Consider a nvidia single gpu card

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Ps I don't want to spend your monies for you but you have a good 120hz monitor - why not try nvidia 3 d vision -you'll be in heaven with rf2 !

12. Coanda

Coanda Registered

@ - Adrianstealth - Tried all setting combos but Shadows off seems to solve my problem. I recognise my GPU is the weak link. Can bottlenecks occur when the GPU load and VRAM are not under heavy load? That is what I don't understand.

Thats the problem, no coin at the moment pal to upgrade the GPU and damn they are so expensive. I was waiting out for the 8 series to come out so hopefully the 7990 would come down a little. Are you saying to go Nvidia Titan over 7990? All the reviews I have read say the 7990 outperforms the Titan and it is also cheaper. But then again Nvidia owners seem a lot more happier than ATi users on this forum...

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

In your case

Your gpu should be 100% utilised unless you've capped your fps in the .ini
    (Your CPU less utilised )
    If not maybe check mobo drivers etc if still not dont worry because tr changing your gpu soon anyway so why sweat about to much

The 780 (if your budget can stand it) offer good value compared to the titan
    Re.performance comparison it's down to your own judgement but my judgement would be nvidia any day! I've used both in past & in the cases of AMD having higher fps the performance of nvidia was better :

-smoothness of graphics
    -better driver updates
    -visual quality & colours
    -over clocking better
    -3d vision (big one for me)

The 7 series are great cards
    I'd say that's the top all rounder at the moment (I will only use single gpu now)

Good luck

14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Well, you called him "pal", so I think you'll have to be religiously patient.

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

When advice to reduce settings is being ignored (until now), there's was nothing else to say.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I think the issue, which has been raised by others, is to clarify whether Silverstone has more shadows than other tracks because it has more of everything else/latest level of sophistication, etc., and therefore some cards will not be able to handle it, or,

Silverstone has more shadows, etc., but at v.1.01 hasn't yet been optimized to the extent of the v.1.4x tracks, so at some point in the future we shouldn't expect the shadows at Silverstone to cause such a performance hit.

I know it's annoying when people keep asking these similar questions, but just about everyone is perpetually trying to figure out if their current hardware will be sufficient or not. Just when some got the 1.4x tracks working acceptably, likely after much tweaking and fiddling, Silverstone comes along and raises the bar. No debate that the bar needs to continuously get raised--only that the proper information about optimized or not needs to accompany each release of a track (or car or new overall build). Otherwise, it's like comparing random items because there is no baseline.

17. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Hasn't the Silverstone question already been answered by another developer IIRC? He said there would be some optimisations to the track, but not to expect drastic improvements to performance (to paraphrase) as the track had a lot of detail in it. So in short there will be some optimisations, but not a magic wand to deliver the kind of performance expected by some. Again, quite a few people are getting very good performance on not massively high-end systems by running everything at 80-90% -- and it still looks fantastic. It seems AMD need to sort out their drivers to start spreading the graphics load across more threads / cores. Maybe this is the secret of nVidia performances.

18. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

This must be a candidate to "The most absurd topic" of ISI forum

19. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Edit: Well sort of right thread.

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Silverstone uses different shaders, yes, which is why it required the new build. And people need to turn down settings to run it if their card cannot run it.