Alternative way to share skins from server?

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Ralffan, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Ralffan

Ralffan Registered

Hi,

I would like to be able to share custom skins from server, but without making an update: https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/custom-liveries-how-to-make-an-update-rfcmp-for-league-use

The problem of making an update is that people can't join other servers except if they uninstall it (and it's something not easy for begginers. For example, for Formula Pro: Someone random can join our server and then they find out they can't join other servers and they don't know why...).

Is there an alternative to put the skins/cars on server and that anyone can join with those skins/cars?

Thanks!

2. guenther

guenther Registered

Until quite some time ago (I think since PBR was introduced), you could use skins with the *.rcd files (which basically allowed a "paste file here, you are done"-mode). But that stopped working (at least for my information) and/ or had some issues not being supported anymore by the game.

So basically, the method you've linked is the way to go.

3. redapg

redapg Registered

@Ralffan Did you try it with integrating the Skins into the Server rfmod?
    The Disadvantage of course is, that the downloaded File, when someone joins the Server, can be very big, depending on the Count of Skins.
    And to be honest, i'm not sure if the original Mod will stay as it is with that Method, that People can join Servers that use the original Mod, without Problems.
    You'll have to try it out.

4. Ralffan

Ralffan Registered

How would you do it? I think the skins must be a package update to work, so you need to installate it as an updata of the mod, which causes the problems when you try to join another server that doesn't have the update.

5. redapg

redapg Registered

You create the Update rfcmp with the Skins on your Machine and install it.
    Then you create the Server rfmod and in the last Screen, where you select the Cars, you also check the Checkbox of the Skin Update on the left Site.
    In that Way, the Update gets included into the Server Mod.
    Then you install that Server Mod on the Dedicated Server Installation.
    Now, when the Clients join the Server, the Skin Update gets downloaded with the download of the Server rfmod.
    But as said, you have to check how it gets installed then.
    If it gets installed in the same Way as an Update rfcmp gets installed, it is useless for what you want to achieve.

6. Ralffan

Ralffan Registered

I think it will be the same, but I will try tomorrow.

7. Ralffan

Ralffan Registered

Yes, I confirm that's the same.

Thank you anyway for your help.

redapg likes this.
  8. redapg

redapg Registered

What a shame, i hoped it would work.

9. Brent

Brent Registered

When you created the skin add-on rfcmp component, did you click the checkbox "Update from" and enter the original mod version number in the box next to it? Then follow the steps redapg listed.

I'm looking into this because the base mod with all the liveries and hundreds of UI icons is pushing 1GB and updating the ENTIRE mod for 25mb for a livery is getting old. I've been considering including an add-on skin pack like this for some time and I like the idea of including it within a RFMOD vs another workshop.

One thing that came up with PBR is they state that the vehicle upgrades.ini needs to be included in the teams mas. This allows for the PBR shaders to be applied to optional upgrades, like wings etc. set in the upgrades.ini I'm curious if this needs to be copied from the original mod to the add-on component team mas as well? I'm going to be doing some tests.