ALT + M in-game and/or working plr entry.

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by MarcG, Mar 11, 2014.

1. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I though ALT-M had only influence on track, not object like car... I can't see any difference on any object on my configuration, ALT-M change only the track ground...

2. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Alt-M works on any material with a negative LOD bias, it doesn't care if it's a track, car, train, plane... :)

In the shots in the previous post I think the car looks better with Alt-M, without it the textures are aliased as they're too sharp.

3. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Your shots on the 770 have the camera closer to the car, could be the difference?

4. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Don't think so. The two linked shots at the bottom of this post show similar results. Textures close to the camera simply don't seem to blur as much as on the AMD.

5. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Could that be the bias tweaks of 16xS or 32xS? [No!]

Edit:

Sorry, I should engage brain before posting and actually look at the settings used for those shots.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
  6. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Can this be changed on Silverstone, for the white lines only? If I use alt-M it makes the white lines look much better but I lose a bit of detail in trees and grandstands. It would be great if the mipmap lod bias could be altered only for those white lines on the track.

7. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

That would require a new release; not going to happen soon but I'll add a complete MIP bias check to our internal Silverstone task list for when we do revisit the track.

8. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Awesome! Thanks for the response.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Take a F1 car out and try T-cam instead of cockpit, you'll see the super blurred lines.

10. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Took the F1 car out and tried T-Cam, didn't see any super-blurred lines.

Are you running 16xAF?

11. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

The thread is pushed back to the bottom of page 5 already, just a little bump:

12. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Look what I found at the USPits:

"Hey all, brand new 3DSimEd owner here with a quick question on material editing for rF1 tracks.

I recently re-installed rFactor and all of my old favorite tracks, and MAN, I do not remember it looking so bad on my old rig years back. The textures were hopelessly aliased and jaggy as anything.

After doing some research online I discovered what you all probably know already and that is the newer generations of nVidia hardware don't seem to be able to clamp negative MIP map LOD bias anymore, resulting in HORRIBLE aliasing everywhere (especially road lines and power lines, etc...)

I went ahead and purchased a 3DSimEd license (which is AWESOME, by the way. Learned more about rFactors 'architecture' in the last few days than I have in like 8 years of manually editing .scn files and the like), and after a few days of poking around and exploring I realized that the overwhelming majority of textures in rF1 tracks are set with negative LOD bias (I've seen anywhere from -0.5 all the way to -4.0).

I slowly went ahead and, one-by-one, set every material in the track (in this case Virtua_LM's incredible Sebring 12 Hour course) to 0 for mip bias, and exported all of the objects. When I loaded up the track in rFactor I was BLOWN AWAY. Not a jaggie in sight! rFactor 1 actually looks better now than I even remember it looking back on my old 7900. Absolutely gorgeous.

Well, now I'm spoiled, and I want to "fix" all of my favorite tracks but I don't think my poor wrists can take many more all night sessions of this minute back and forth clicking, editing the bias of each material one at a time. I was wondering if there was possibly a more streamlined way to accomplish this task that maybe I'm overlooking?

Basically I would like to just sort of batch "zero" out the lod bias for every texture in a track all in one go. Is that even a thing?

Looking forward to hearing some options!

- Justin "

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, a lot of tracks have negative bias, it's one of those things where one person does it, other people use that work as an example to follow, and then everyone does it. Plus I would guess at one point it helped sharpen textures where the limited (at the time) filtering wasn't doing a great job.

It should be quite easy to automate mass editing of GMTs to alter the mat bias by the way.