Alpine 110 Cup Setup Session.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David O'Reilly, Jan 22, 2021.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Hi, I had a quick go at this car earlier in the week and got nowhere.
    I watched Michi Hoyers Portugal stream and decided I needed to try harder.
    I went back and did it properly. The outcome was much better so I decided to share the journey. The final setup which works for Spa and as a base setup for this car is linked in the comments section.
    and here https://www.dropbox.com/s/cppdjuiq2q5c5dg/Alpine 110 Cup Spa and BASE 2.svm?dl=0

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. atomed

atomed Member

Thanks a lot David.

David O'Reilly likes this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

You have been able to get quite a lot of that enormous amount of aerodynamics induced understeer, nice. So what worked to make car to drive good was messing the rear grip as much as possible to get the car balanced if I understood well. So lowered rear rideheight might have reduced rear diffuser downforce, maybe ? And of course having 0 front antiroll bar, and super stiff rear antiroll bar helped to shift the balance forward mechanically by a lot. No wonder it was possible to get it from super understeer to some pronounced oersteer, especially at slower turns, where there is less influence by aerodynamic forces.

Also these cars are designed to have springs 14kg/mm+, plus default anti roll bars 20kg/mm+ ? Plus stiffness added by initial damping... A stiff car.

Thats why I think road cars are more interesting than race cars these days.
    [​IMG]

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Well only to an extent.
    Rear ride height on minimums gave us more total grip but didn't help with understeer. But it seemed possible to then have better turn in and be on throttle earlier anyway. So raising the rear which might have worked from a mechanical grip perspective (to move grip fwds) cost too much overall grip. That was one mistake I made on day one.
    The understeer was solved more with damper settings and ARB settings.
    At Spa we had to dial some back out again.

If I still needed to reduce rear grip my next option was to lower rear camber to where it lost me some grip mid corner (but better braking and acceleration).

mantasisg likes this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

That does sound reasonable if lowering rear RH didn't hurt aero. The rear rideheight effect could be good to test with DamPlugin. Otherwise it is just a guess I had, that aero could be lossing efficiency on lower rear RH.

Yes sounds good that less rear camber could work. However, perhaps having even larger rear camber (much too large) could also work as a way to reducing contact patch before turning (in straight line), getting more neutral turn-in, not sure. Rear toe-ins to induce more slip angle to have rear more "on its toes", not sure as well. Also as some weird option - I wonder how increasing just rear tire pressures would work out in shifting this cars grip balance. Although I guess if it works and balance improvement pays off against loss of total grip, then it could be looked at like an exploit of rF2 physics and supposed aerodynamics balance flaw of this particular car mod.