All cars disappear at race start

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by 64r, Jan 1, 2014.

1. 64r

64r Registered

Just tried a race on the busy (24/30) Mores server with the Civic. On the grid all was ok, about 2 seconds before the race started all the other cars in front of me disappeared, so I went and the got a penalty for jumping the start. By the time I got to the first corner all the cars started to reappear and then started jumping around the corner in different locations.

I understand lag, but disappearing cars must be another problem?

My pc specs are fine (I normally get 80+ fps) and my ping time is excellent and I have a dedicated high speed internet link so I assume this is some sort of server loading bug.

2. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

its network stuff, i also got connection lost and kicked out of this very session, but in 5th lap, and the race went on. Its strange

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

That's the issue I think. packet loss on a busy server.

4. wobbly

wobbly Registered

I'm getting that too. Spoiled today's racing tbh.

I have a 20MB connection and 1mb upload but this is happening all the time on 20+ servers.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I suspect its the servers connection that's the problem. not so much your personal one.

My uneducated guess would be that problems occur on 20+ grids with rf2. I don't think many server can handle all the advanced data going back and forth.
    And running multiple servers on one box would probably only increase the issue.

6. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

It's not likely to be the server's connection. My server is on a 100/100 connection at a major east coast datacentre. In our league, we've seen the symptoms described in the OP when the server's CPU is under 20% and network usage is around 5 Mbps (so... 1/20th of available speed). The old recommendation was 256 kbps per car so you can do the math of what a 20 car field needs (it's not a lot). That said, I've seen a post here suggesting that the actual usage is lower than 256 kbps per car.

FWIW, I've seen this since the very early builds but back then I thought I had problems with the server and even had my host look into it and report the server's connection was fine.

7. wobbly

wobbly Registered

Thanks for the feedback all.

8. canastos

canastos Registered

I think the problem is at current build, never had this kind of issues before (had other :p), but this one, with the stepping cars and all the mess is really annoying, no way to have a serious race

byyyyyyyyye

9. FatCity

FatCity Registered

I just tried 3 times to join Loch Drummond civic server, matchmaker said 18/20 cars , when I got in game says race start stuff but shows only same 2 drivers in the list but no one on the grid and I have to alt ctrl and delete to get out.