All cars, all tracks, full championships?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Johannes Rojola, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Golanv

Golanv Registered

+89000

If someone wants to advertise their cars, I dont get it why wouldnt they take the opportunity to place them in as many tittles as possible. That kind of coverage would cost millions in advertisement.
    I have heard excuses from "dont like our products being destroyed in unrealistic fashion" to "protecting our brand from bad publicity" but if they just check it out where they give their name and then say yes or no, they get free advertisement, best kind to be added.
    Driving/racing sims are hardly bad publicity for a car manufacturer even if it would be that their product is good for only being a traffic cone in a corner.
    Aston Martin without James Bond and Goldfinger? Im not saying that sims are or even can be as big of a franchise, but the point being that its not unheard of that entertainment industry can make brands over night.

2. pitkin

pitkin Registered

Are there any such tools available at the moment?

I think the game needs some sort of customisable championship mode, but as you say, it wouldn't be thet end of the world if there is an external points program.

3. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Maybe I've been out in left field but this is really surprising, troubling and disappointing to me. Do I understand this correctly?... We have to wait for the sim to go gold... then wait for and pray for some modders to complete whatever series we are itching to race? And then hope their finished product is of the same high quality that ISI put into their "sampler" cars and tracks? Is ISI not going to produce a single complete championship series?

As for marketing, how can it be easier to market what you say is primarily just a modding platform, with a small incomplete set of very well done cars and tracks (some with real names, some with dummy names) -- a platform that is going to rely on a disparate group of independant modders to fill in the gaps? You think it easier to market this hodge-podge product over marketing the same platform with at least a few complete series of cars and tracks that simply need to have some naming and skinning tricks done by the modders to make them look right and have real names?

I think the sim community will (via internet "word of mouth" and product reviews) understand the "wink and nod" of any psuedo names and get way more excited about a complete series product than an incomplete one.

As I see it, neither path will have all the famous names you would like to include that would make your marketing job easier. That's a fact of life and can't be fixed. But one choice offers a complete popular series or two, albiet initially with some psuedo names, and the other choice offers no complete series. The easier sell seems obvious.

Could it also be that not being licenced creates other time consuming and difficult hurdles that makes creating psuedo cars and tracks a financially unattractive option? Things like gathering the data to make the cars and tracks accurate?

It appears I need to do a serious head adjustment regarding my hopes and expectations of the rF2 gold product.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

On the point of licensing, what evidence is there that racing sims lead to increased sales of cars? Is the average rF2 / pCars / iRacing user a substantial part of the demographic who's likely to buy the expensive models and, more importantly, only likely to learn about the models through these games?

5. kmw

kmw Registered

I agree it needs some customisable championship options. For me it is a very disappointing prospect that it may not be included, this sim will be incomplete without such an option.

6. Arbuzzz

Arbuzzz Registered

The best is to launch perfect game with open modding. I'm sure, that rf2 will get the same amount of mods, like rf1 has it, if rf2 will be open for modding. It's why all simracers looking forward of rfactor 2. Its perfect, that we will see Marussia F1 car in rFactor 2, it's mean, that somebody will make the full F1 mod based on Marussia F1 car.

7. kmw

kmw Registered

Yes, perfect game with open modding, no argument there, but surely it should 'perfect game' includes the possibility to construct your own custom season from within the game - choosing cars, track calendar, number of laps, refuelling/tyres and other rules, and the ability to keep track of performance and scores (season standings). To me it would always seem unfinished without this.

8. Arbuzzz

Arbuzzz Registered

kmw, I dont see why rfactor2 will not be like that :) I' administrator at biggest russian autostim portal osrw.com And we have around 200 racers every year... we use rfactor for gaming and I hope, In 2013 we will be using rFactor2. And What I see in the game right now, it's should be almost perfect game for leagues.

9. Golanv

Golanv Registered

[​IMG]
    Anything new on this front of development by ISI or mod makers alike?

10. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Bummer, I didn't realize this was an old topic until I read your post, Golanv :D
    No change in politics apparently, though I know of one certain rival to rF2 where it works, having licensed content and mocked up tracks and cars (just google "Eifelwald Asano" and you'll know, too). I can't see right now why this wouldn't work for rF2, especially since it's meant to be a much more open platform than said rival.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If that's all you want, I don't understand why you're not just painting skins and making a carset from the cars already out...?

12. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Hmmm... not sure if I understand that correctly. What I was about is the line of argumentation
    It's not about painting skins for the clios, meganes, nissans or the 'vette - it's about having new cars (models, physics and so on) that might be closely modeled to a real life car but, lacking the license, named differently. Same goes for a track - no official license, but modeled close enough to the original. The modding community might or might not do the rest. I totally understand though how hard it is to model a car and making it come to life in the game (I'm still stuck at learning how to model properly...).

You are doing something like this already in rF2 as far as the mocked up sponsors (e.g. "Mottor", "Parabolic") are concerned. Plus, in rF1 I absolutely loved driving the totally custom cars (the "ZR" made by "Kodi") on the totally custom tracks ("24h of Toban"). There was even a rudimentary career mode in rF1.
    It worked out then, didn't it?

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Sure, I understand the concept. It's just difficult to do those kind of things without access. The fictionals ISI have made were usually based on the data of a real car, with some, especially the 1960's, it's not like I can hop across a rope barrier in a museum with a measuring instrument and not expect to get thrown out. :) It would be easy to make just a random group of physics parameters, but they won't have the soul of character that would truly draw people into using them IMHO.

14. Golanv

Golanv Registered

STOP arguing about the licensed crap already, we have gone through this topic too many times in this thread alone.

This thread wasnt originally about ready made championships with fully licensed content anyways, but about a feature that would give an option to build your own championship versus AI/Player.
    Select cars, tracks, rules and go racing... Any news from this front?

+1 for the karts!

15. MOD43

MOD43 Registered

+1 Game definately needs a championship creator imho

16. peterchen

peterchen Registered

17. williang83

williang83 Registered

For me a full official season of any category is not a must, but a real championship is a must if you want a racing simulator.
    As i said in other post this game offer just a driving simulation nothing else. Everything related to racing simulation just does not exist :
    - Championship
    - Relationship between sessions, every session must be related to each other (weather, tires, engine, transmission, etc), today in 2013 is not acceptable just to have sessions independent from each other
    - Relationship between races, it is not just a matter of adding a race to a championship but also see the effect of a race on another. Car status, efficiency, pilot skill (a pilot might be stronger in this specific season against the last one or viceversa)
    - Properly damage/failure system and not random stuff

Again as i said racing simulator is not about just brake, turn the wheel and push the throttle (that's driving simulator), racing simulator is about manage the pressure, preserve the car (for other sessions and races), be smart and have a bit of lucky ....all things that rFactor 1 and 2 does not provide!!!!! GOOD DRIVING SIMULATOR, UGLY AS HELL RACING SIMULATOR!

Unfortunately from a long time ago we don't have products that try to simulate racing but just driving and for me that sucks. Seriously i guess that consoles offer enough driving simulators (not very realistic but you get the point).
    To be honest i guess that ISI is taking too much time to update drastically their game, i feel like i'm playing rF1 with a better physics and an updated tire engine (updated because another game already offered improved tire engine, maybe worse or better but surely something not really new in the market).
    I really hope that something change or i'll start to be very disappointed and regret the money i spent.

18. Tukkeuma

Tukkeuma Registered

A lot of you guys seem to share same thoughts with me. I have to agree 100%. It's easy to see how a group of engineers at ISI are tweaking the physics and other technical stuff, but forget to build a game around it. No matter how good simulation is, if there is not enough interesting content in it, people will get bored quickly and move on. I dont think rFactor 2 is supposed to be just a technical "training simulator" but more like an entertainment product, that keeps us players happily racing night after night. Im new to rFactor and i was suprised that there is no players online. Since there was no players i thought i might as well start driving a singleplayer championship, but no. Now my only option is to drive single races without possibility to set random weather, so i can't even surprise myself with changing weather conditions.

But don't get me wrong, what rFactor does good, it does it REALLY good and i appreciate the work ISI has done :). Driving is challenging and feels good. Thats why rFactor is my first choice at the moment, since i'm not interested in paying the ridicilous prices of iRacing...

I hope you hear me ISI, since i'm clearly not alone with all these thoughts in my head :)

Someone here mentioned that CTDP championship manager could be used to build somekind of championship with the existing content. Has anyone gotten it to work with rFactor 2? I just got an error when i tried it, maybe i did something wrong... dunno...:confused: Maybe someone could even post instructions for that program for us that want to use it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013