All cars, all tracks, full championships?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Johannes Rojola, Dec 17, 2012.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Close enough, but it doesn't and couldn't, I think, in regards of how to control mandatory pit-in in rF, cover the various pit-in yet. :) Thanks for the link btw

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Just like Mercedes in race 07.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not the BTCC, those connected to them (manufacturers, track owners). You can, if you try hard, break down some walls, but it's still tough. Few series except F1 or IndyCar these days tends to own the rights as a package. I do have a BTCC car licensed, and the reason for that is only because I directly contacted the driver, and went from there. When you try to go through manufacturers or agencies representing them, it's quite a horrible thing to try to do.

I agree in some ways, it does feel like they should be paying us. We advertise their products, sponsors, etc. They just don't see the value in our product, when some of them have the likes of Sony and Microsoft throwing money at them for anything. :)

I know people personally from multiple devs, and I did get one to help me with one contact, but we ended up not licensing it anyway, as they wanted too much money... lol I have contact with Ferrari, but again, I just don't think it's going to happen there. :)

4. 88mphTim

SI Games are backed by SEGA and have licenses. Not understanding the comparison there, can you explain?

5. 88mphTim

Again, not saying never. I want it too, but there's not a hint of it there now, and with most other things, there is (at least in the dev build).

6. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I heard that Microsoft made exclusive with Ferrari and EA had the same deal with Porsche, and that you need to get their blessing for any rival to use either of the licences. Theres alot of content that supports this in both of their titles that they have published.
    I've always been interested about the licencing issue, how it works and what does it actually costs, I guess it depends on so many things that even if explained I would be none the wiser.

Back to the topic... SLuishamilton, to have the third party program to do the trick is what we have to rely on if there is no ingame option for it, but it would be a damn nice to have it available ingame, plus I think that ISI doing the ground work, would give a good base for modders to fine tune it if necessary.

I do not think that these things are must have, but I do like the option alot and I usually have a racing game/sim at hand that can do that even if its not the "most" realistic one available.
    There is no GT or Forza equalent for pc when it comes to all the content, and even if thats not really what I might be looking for, they do have alot of good things to be learned from.
    You never can have too many cars for example, and that is one of the strenghts of the rF series that over time the garage is going grow up to be huge. Only minus concerning that is that not everything is at the quality lvl of the original content tho.

7. Andreh68

Andreh68 Registered

Tim, there are the odd player,team, or league that does no give the license, example German National Team.
    So the game itself has the ability to create a real German squad, but SI created a file that overides it and the fantasy Deutsch team appears ingame.
    The end user just deletes this file and get the real team. No mod team needed, very easy fix.

8. 88mphTim

Yeah, sometimes people don't share their rights, but that was the same with Jacques Villeneuve in some racing games. I remember John Newhouse. :) The point is, you still can't market what you don't have as effectively as what you do.

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

What about licensing V8 Supercars? Be an awesome series to have for RF2. I assume you've already tried licensing this in some form ;)

10. 88mphTim

They have some sort of affiliation with iRacing, I have contacted them, got no reply. I have also contacted the manufacturers, nothing concrete enough to be excited about so far.

11. sg333

sg333 Registered

Ah, darn iracing.

You know, we can make do with Hold'em and Furd :D

12. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Timmy you need to get tough, think Jack Bauer, what would Jack Bauer do?

13. 88mphTim

He'd call someone sat at a desk to fix the problem, then he'd run in and look like a hero? :)

14. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Stare motionless something in distance while clock is showing on screen and dramatic sound being played for unnaturally long periods of time?

edit: If Tim would be Walker, he would need only to look at phone book and think some race series, soon phone would ring and race series management would offer him exclusive rights at no cost at all.

Sadly only Walker, can be the Walker, which is why we all envy him ;)

15. Golanv

Golanv Registered

He would kidnap someone from iRacing make then give up the affiliation, shoot and beat up some guards, call satellite and surveillance info where is the V8 supercars licence holder seller person, torture them for information just incase and then make the deal, call to that person sitting at the desk to tell em they can make V8 supercars licence content now.

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

That sounds old Russia to me, when truckers had guards with AK with them and all that.

Is there currently possibility to set pre and after race screens?

How it is now, you go to race, then make formation lap or not depending setting, win a race and drive to pits, where nothing happens when you park your car and pitcrew is ready to swap tires and refuel which they don't do, when you press esc you end up to menu where you see results.

Simple xml file or even text file that would be possible to be read and config like UI so text would be presented in desired places might do good so people could make some you won page with results or maybe even victory video to be played.

Don't know really what might be reasonably possible at the moment or what might be done in future.

Bit unexplored area for me, but certainly after the race it would be nice to have something more or possibility to add something more if there is not such already.

Championship with external app would be already good, I think, if there is such that work with rF2, don't know if earlier linked app works with rF2.

Hmm, maybe someone could make a pluging that shows on screen some congrats you won, or maybe that is bit silly?

I do quite little actual racing though, for me it has always been car building platform and for that works really well :)

17. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Tim would call Chuck Norris instead to fix the problems :D

18. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I KNOW, I KNOW ! Ariel Atom and Caterham, I love Caterhams... can we have those, either or, maybe both, or just one?
    TIMMY... call to Caterham!

19. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

ABSOFREAKINLUTELY call Ariel and Caterham.

Also, in regards to V8 Supercars, just ring and tell them you would like to do a Peter Brock tribute (THE V8 Supercar Australian icon - now deceased after race accident). Then it would be "un Austrayan" not to GIVE the content to you. They will.

Peter Brock tribute. Win/win. I dont believe such a thing has ever been done....?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Brock

"He won the Bathurst 1000 endurance race nine times, the Sandown 500touring car race nine times, the Australian Touring Car Championship three times, the Bathurst 24 Hour once and was inducted into the V8 Supercar Hall of Fame in 2001."

"In 1969 he raced in the Bathurst 500, as it was then known, Australia's most prestigious endurance road race and won it for the first time in 1972 (the last year the race was run over 500 miles). Brock would win the event a total of nine times between 1972 and 1987, a feat that has not been equalled. His 1979 win was remarkable in that he claimed the flag by six laps, a record that (due to changes in race regulations introduced in the 1990s) may never be broken, and broke the circuit lap record for touring cars on the 163rd and final lap of the race."

SHOWOFF!

Final edit:

On 8 September 2006, while driving in the
    Targa West '06 rally, Brock was 3 kilometres from the finish of the second stage of the race at Gidgegannup, about 40 km from Perth, Western Australia [SUP][26][/SUP] when he skidded off a downhill left-hand bend on Clenton Road for over 50 metres in his 2001 Daytona Sportscar[SUP][27][/SUP] and hit a tree. The 61-year-old Brock was killed instantly

R.I.P. V8 Supercars hero.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
  20. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

this baffle's me that they think this way. For me sim racing was the spring board for me to watch real racing, they are totally missing the ball here.... I had no idea who senna, the flying scott, vettel, where before sim racing now i do because of sim racing they better wake up!