All a matter of timing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by davehenrie, Mar 5, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Many of you have followed my hardware issues for the past two years. Several Wheels failed, a video card that collapsed when dx 11 activated. I've had extended periods where I have been unable to participate. Each time I was able to get the wheel or video card repaired. But that took time. Time to negotiate the return, time to ship, time to service the items, and time to ship the items back to me.
    Currently I'm waiting for my wheel to return from warranty service. I don't expect it for at least another week.
    Here is the thing.....for almost each instance of hardware failure, I have had, at some point during the down time, a week or more of vacation or holidays when I could have made great use of the wheel or video card. I am in that situation again. Waiting for the wheel while on winter vacation. If it arrives when I expect, I will jussssssst be going back to work.....
    sigh.....
    <whine mode disabled>

2. ACT Mike

ACT Mike Registered

You're not getting your hardware from the cheap s--t store are you?

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Wheel was from Amazon. (on Sale before Christmas 2017 TS-PC for less than a T-300) The vid card was probably from New Egg. I was really surprised when they agreed to repair that. 2 yrs old at the time but It had a 3 yr warranty I guess. (lucky me...)
    The wheel itself hasn't been the problem, it is the dang power supplies..

4. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

If it is power supplies that are failing, have you checked the power quality in your house. You may be getting surges or something similar that is killing the PSU. Not sim related, but I had an oven element that would constantly overheat and die(2-3 times a year) due to erratic power quality.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

two different locations, both with underground power lines INTO the subdivision, but above ground wires to the neighborhood. One place was brand new, the other about 10 years old. Hydro power which is not supposed to have spikes and the 2nd brick failed even after I placed it alone on a separate power strip. Advice I got here led me to get in the habit of keeping the power strip off til the entire system had booted, and then only shut it off after a) the wheel's cooling fan had stopped. b) turned off the power strip and watching the power light fade on the wheel before shutting down windows. With those precautions I managed to get that power brick to last 11months.
    In between the last two wheel failures when the wheel was fully operational, was when my video card would (I think) over-heat and crash/lockup the computer whenever I ran a game in dx11. So even with a functional wheel, I was dead for over a month there too.
    Totally missed the free open-wheel Mclaren releases and the Shadow competition. This current fail led to missing all of the Sebring 12hr qualifying, although I did get several weeks with the track and the latest DLC. Haven't driven with any of the new graphics but I have loaded rF2 without a controller to see the cars and attempt to get AI cars showing the new skins(what IS THAT all about S397???)
    I always said I burnt out 3 bricks, but then I remembered the first was a very difficult fit and I barely got the power socket inserted. The power socket backed out after about a week, I''m assuming from the vibrations. I could not get it back in. The manufacturer's website had user posts stating it was a very very tight fit and required forcefull insertion. That led to both the receiving and insertion sockets getting bent. Amazon replaced that whole unit with a refurb, then a refund when that failed and I used the refund to repurchase a new unit(at the sweet sale price still)(that took some arm twisting) When the 2nd new unit failed the manufacturer sent a RMA showing how to pack everything up but clearly stating NOT to ship the power supply. So when they could not find any problems with the wheel, they sent it back with a cherry new power supply. That is the one that survived for 11 months.
    And that's where I am. waiting, watching my emails, and not driving...... I am getting a-lot done however, in Lord of the Rings Online.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I would look into a third party power supply and have it wired to the correct plug type. If you're not armed with a multimeter and/or capable of wiring the plug yourself, you can probably get someone to do it fairly inexpensively.

I've never been sure about the anecdotal "don't run your wheel at 100% power, you'll kill it" stories but it's probably worth addressing your settings anyway, to somewhat rule it out.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Whoo Hooo a box just showed up at the front door. Inside was my wheel and a replacement power supply.

Lazza and jayarrbee36 like this.