AIW Fast Path Problem

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SimoG, Mar 17, 2016.

1. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Hi

Why when I register the fast lane It is recorded in a zig zag? How can I correct the problem?

Thanks

View attachment 19579

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Hmm that looks very strange, I have not seen anything like that before.

3. Bink

Bink Registered

Not very familiar with devmode anymore, but I'd be curious:

-- If you record the fast line again, are the problems in the (exact) same places?
    -- Same with re-recording the center line and fast line (?).
    -- What's with the track surface?

Jka .... paging Jka...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
  4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Well, only one thing comes to my mind which can cause this.

You have accidentally select waypoints on "zig-zag" positions and adjusted them same time while finetuning lines elsewhere around the track. This can happen easily when "draw-box" - selecting multiple waypoints.

5. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Thi is a second version of my AIW, i have delete it because I was not very accurate in some points to follow the center line and the problem occurs only on the finish line.

Yes, I do This. So it is better to avoid this?
    I will try to do it again. If I copy the grid and Pits from this file to another, It generates some problem?

Thanks

6. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Before selecting any waypoint with any method, its safer to click "unselect waypoints" first. Then you can be sure there is no other (hidden) waypoints selected. Editor will NOT auto-unselect any waypoints.

You can copy/paste grid-, pitspot- and garage positions from previous AIW - file (if they are good, obviously). When you have done this, load the track in DevMode and save waypoints (without editing anything). Exit the track, reload it and save waypoints again and exit the track. This confirms, that all auto-generated lines (like path from pitspot to pitpath etc.) are generated and saved to AIW file.

7. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Thanks

8. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Problem Solved

Another question, there is a way to correct the fastpath in the finish line zone?

I think not to be passed in the same exact Point of where I started and when the AI run into them, they brake suddenly. Is there any trick that can help in these situations (for example, a vertical line drawn where I started to aim) or a command that calculates and smoothes the fastpath?

Thanks

[​IMG]

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Grab a few waypoints on each side of the finish line.
    This opens up the "selected waypoint menu".
    Go to the "manipulations" sub menu.
    Select "normalize curve".

This will straighten out the kink in the path.
    Don't forget to do this also for any other paths you may have recorded, block, left, right and wet paths.

10. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Perfect, Thanks

There are still a few things I do not know

My track is made up of several 90° turns and an hairpin In the latter, in particular, the AI drive jerky as you would with the keyboard. There is a way to round segments of the fast path from one node to the other?

Thanks

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You can adjust every piece of path per waypoint manually.

First select a path in the path sub menu, fast path for example, make sure it's the "visible/actionable" path. That will turn up as a white visible path.
    You can then select one or more waypoints at a time and use SHIFT+arrow keys to smoothen the path. Use SHIFT+ALT+arrow keys for finer adjustments.

Also, try turning on "speed text" in the path sub menu. That will give you an idea about which waypoints that need optimization.
    Look for excessively slow waypoints and try adjusting them so they become faster, less jerky etc.
    This can be a bit intimidating and confusing, but it can make a world of difference to your paths.

Ask away if you run into trouble. :)

12. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Thanks

That system I already use, for example to align the entrance of the pit lane with the fast path but it does not solve the problem.

If you look at the image which I am attaching the fastpath is divided into segments and AI straighten the steering wheel and then just completely steering reaches the vertex.
    I tried to select two nodes and adding one with the function Add between but It did not add anything or crash the dev mode.

If you have a solution, It is welcome but I can leave it because it's just ugly to look. The curve is traveled well and the IA accelerates and brake in the right places. :)

Now the cameras I've tried to create one and I have seen how complicated it is (for Me :eek:). I will open a specific thread for this purpose.

Thanks

View attachment 19604

[video]https://youtu.be/IQUu8zcMQj4[/video]
    excuse for the lack of fluidity. my PC is old and unfortunately it struggles to run rF and Bandicam together.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2016
  13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Hmm, yeah that does look a little choppy.
    I think very tight corners usually do look like that, because there's a fair bit of space between each waypoint by default.

The only thing I can think of is this:
    Unsupported/test options -> decrease waypoint distance.

This would, in theory, make the path less "segmented" and more smooth.

I've never messed around with this option myself, I just know it exists.
    And it would probably mean you'd have to make the MAIN and PIT paths from scratch again... :(

EDIT:
    Ha yes, creating trackside cameras can indeed be a pain in the ass.
    Also not a lot of info is available on this subject, so yeah good idea to open a thread about it. :)

14. SimoG

SimoG Registered

[​IMG]

Thank you
    I'll look at this option and see what turns up :)

15. Emery

Emery Registered

Might be worth a quick look at ISI's Monaco, final hairpin?

16. SimoG

SimoG Registered

yes, I was reminded last night. I load it in dev mode but, for now, I can not find differences. :confused: I have to study it more carefully. I tested the option suggested by hexagramme but does not solve and anyway is not the solution adopted for montecarlo.

Thanks

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Does the Monte Carlo hairpin look visibly smoother than the hairpin in your AIW?

When you drive and record the path, make sure your steering input is as smooth as possible, like obsessively smooth, if you know what I mean.
    Speed is nowhere near as important as smooth steering when you record paths.

As an experiment, you could try this.
    There, you simply focus on improving that one corner until you feel it's absolutely spot on, without the need to record the entire fast path from scratch again.
    Also try recording it driving different cars, that can have an effect too.

18. Emery

Emery Registered

I've also wondered if you could use AI type 1 training and then make AIW from replay?

19. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Thanks

Ok, I'll try to do a slow lap focusing only on the steering wheel movement and I was already thinking about a new car (Suggestions on the most suitable?) because bringing the track in single player the AI is very slow with exception of the skip, especially the faster curve of the track that has a dip in the middle and the AI tends to play with gas and brake slowing noticeably. A little while ago I did a lap with skip in Monaco and the Ai in the hairpin do the same thing with the steering. Then I think it can go well so

Another question, I seen that I can change the length of the white and red corridors but not the blue. it is possible? because there is a point where it do not cover the entire escape zone and if I exceed the blue corridors tells me wrong way (and it is very easy to come disqualified) because there being another section of track over the wall that travels in the opposite direction.

View attachment 19616

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
  20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I wouldn't recommend using the Skip Barber for path recording, I've only had bad results when I've used it.
    It's prone to oversteer, and that's exactly what you don't want when recording.

Personally, I always use the C6.R for the regular fast paths I record.
    I usually get very good results like that, and other cars seem to respond well it paths made with the C6.R.
    I think it's a nice balance of power and downforce.
    If you record with a car that has too much downforce, lower downforce cars will struggle, and if you record with a low downforce car, high downforce cars will drive too slowly.

When you see the AI playing with the throttle on/off in the middle of a corner, you may want to start looking for slow waypoints.
    Turn on "speed text" in the path sub menu, make sure "driver stats" is visible, and look for the blue line coming from the car pointing to the waypoints.
    There will usually be a few waypoints that are significantly slower than the ones surrounding them, try to smooth them out a bit. The blue line will linger on the slowest waypoint.
    Keep an eye on the "grip" percentages in the driver stats though; you don't want to make a waypoint faster if the car is running out of grip.
    On the other hand, if the car is well below the limit, increase the speed of that particular waypoint.

The corridors, hmm...
    Normally, when you click "find corridors", the blue part should extend all the way out to the barriers.
    Have you made any changes to the terrain since you first clicked "find corridors"?
    Back up your current AIW and try "find corridors" again, see if that helps.