AIW - Creating a fast path

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Stockers, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Stockers

Stockers Registered

Hi all

The below is taken from a PDF titled "Doing the AIW File - a layman's guide to the rFactor AIWCAM".

"DRIVE THE FAST PATH: The fast path is the ideal line the AI will attempt to take whenever they can, so it’s of critical importance in getting a good AI. What you want is not speed, it doesn’t matter how fast or slow you drive it, but a line that is perhaps not even the ideal racing line for a human, but the one that presents the least amount of change of direction. The AI adjust their speed relative to the ‘corner’ they ‘see’ coming up in the waypoints ahead".

This can't be right can it? Appreciate this may have been for rf1 but there are similarities in the guide. Think I tried it once & the AI were just too slow.

Any thoughts on whether fast paths can be created like this?

Thanks

2. Normark

Normark Registered

I don´t think you have to be fast. I drive the "fast path" where I know it should be, but not fast, and when I have done the AIW file I have problems following the AIW drivers :)

3. Stockers

Stockers Registered

Thanks

4. redapg

redapg Registered

And i would recommend to use a Car for the AIW Creation, that has a very good Tire Grip, good Brakes and a good steering Behaviour.
    The more the Car slides, the worse the AIW gets and the Pathes should be driven as smooth as possible.

atomed likes this.
  5. Luis Barata

Luis Barata Registered

All of what was said it's true, but you can still improve it manually, adjusting corners to a faster path whenever you find the AI should be faster at some point, because the AI sees several Waypoints ahead and the acceleration to maximum in a corner only starts when the Waypoints ahead are clear to the cut track, until then it accelerates slowly, that means also that how fast he can accelerate during the corner more speed it will gain in every straight. Other point is that the AI will do an ideal line sometimes (depending of the Fast line) that can be a bit different from the fast path, that can be also corrected manually, you need to observe the AI doing the fast path to understand where you can improve it.