AIW (AI Path) Creation Tutorial PDF

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mario Morais, Nov 2, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Brilliant thanks Tosch, I think I must've kept clicking "Find" again which caused the problem.

In the meantime I just started again from scratch anyway, had a problem with the AI braking at a corner so Normalized Curves but they still kept doing it. I checked Speed Text (or whatever it is) and noticed massive differences in the Speed between two waypoints, so I just kept Normalizing Curves with a few waypoints selected until the Speed Text averaged out nicely and the AI dont brake mid corner. But now they run too wide and seeing what you say about Curbs above means I can go back and move those blue lines off to get the AI right up against them, as this was probably causing their braking.
    I'll have to redo the Fast Path again of course but that's no problem, only downside is I'm no Fast Driver as such so it takes me ages to get a "Perfect Fast Lap" so to speak :eek:

I'm having immense fun though, tweaking/fiddling and learning all about this whole process, thanks again (to all) for the help :)

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Messed about with Corridors, noticed (after I moved them) that the blue lines on the Track were from the Pit Lane waypoints so that was what was confusing me.
    Also on the Start straight I've moved the Corridors onto the grass a bit to see how the AI react to a stranded car at the start, see if they use that extra bit of room or not.

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

You can hide the pit lane and grid waypoints (show/hide menu). Makes it easier to figure out what's going on on the main path.

4. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I didn't understand how the Normalized Curve is supposed to be working (and couldn't use it properly :)) so had to figure out another way. Now if there is a kink or something (for example if fastest path starts from different point than it ends) what I do is move the next (or previous) waypoint as long as the driving line is straigthened between those two points and at the same time calculate how many single/short keyboard presses I had to do. Let's say it required 30 keyboard presses. Then I'll select a number which is evenly dividable with that count for example 15 waypoints in this case because if you divide 30 with 15 waypoints then you get exactly 2 keyboard presses per waypoint. Now unselect the original waypoint and select 15 waypoints before or after the problem point. Move selected waypoints 2 "ticks" towards correct direction. Unselect first waypoint (farthest from the problem point). Move rest of the waypoints 2 "ticks". Again unselect waypoint farthest to the problem point and move rest of the waypoints 2 ticks. Repeat this and when there is only one waypoint left you have ended up with a nice smooth line. If the kink was big then you could have selected 30 waypoints and moved only 1 tick per waypoint.

This same method can be used to move some single point, for example fastest path on apex, but this time do the same for both sides of the point which you want to move. Also whenever I change the driving line even a little I use auto line smoothing from player.plr which is great to do the final smoothing so that AI's don't do "jerky" moves:

Auto Line Smoothing="0" // bit field where 1 = fastest line, 2 = left, 4 = right, and so on; add up each path's value you want to smooth for this parameter; note this causes multiplayer join lag!

So if you altered fastest line and right line then set value to 5 (because 1 + 4 = 5). Then load track once and save waypoints. After that it's very important to set value back to 0 because otherwise after few track reloads it will start to make your path(s) worse and worse as you keep reloading track so use it rarely. It could also affect your pit paths connecting to fastest/left/right/block paths so remember to check and alter those after using Auto Line Smoothing.

Currently I have this strange problem with Safety Car situations. When it goes back to pit and at the point it reaches xpitin all AI cars start to crawl forward and they will never recover from that. If anyone have had the same problem and know what the heck is going on then I would appreciate your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
  5. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Oh and by the way some cars have bug in the windscreen which prevents from seeing paths so always use bumper cam or external view! Caused bit of a frustration before figured out why I couldn't see those lines mentioned in the AIW guide. :)

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Are my Left & Right paths supposed to be in the middle of the track? (following the waypoints)

7. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I don't believe left and right paths should be in the middle - doesn't make any sense IMHO. But then again don't know for sure. I also had the same situation; left and right paths in the middle (automatically generated). Later on recorded both so now I have those separated (left at left lane and vice versa). Maybe the only purpose of those lanes is at flying starts? Hmm, sometimes at safety car situations it seems like AI is only following right lane which seems kind of stupid/strange...

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm only wondering as with mine in the middle the AI still perform well enough, therefore are they even needed?

also does the reverb on the waypoints not work? I fiddled with it but nothing happened.

Started to play around with other settings now, the best one of note is creating a path specific to an AI driver...lot of work but would be cool too implement with a specific mod and track!

9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Left and right paths are for formation laps and laps behind the safety car.
    The reverb is created by the collision corridors.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

aahh I've yet to set up Safety car stuff, as a rule of thumb I have Full Course Yellows Off when I race AI anyway (even long races) as I find the SC has in the past screwed things up somewhat...obviously on the list to learn next so that wont happen!

I was interested in the Reverb to add extra Volume levels around a track without nearby walls, my rear speakers need to be used!

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Sorry to kick this old topic and especially for a lame question.....but I have to ;)

I read a lot about the AIW editing here on the forum, the tutorial and internet itself. Pretty confident with some trial and error, I can do something with it......
    However; even in the tutorial, I can't see where to download the editor itself!
    It's not on the download page, not in the dev corner..........links in posts here on the forum don't work........

What am I missing here? Or is there no editor anymore?

I mean: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/12500-AIW-Editor

12. Emery

Emery Registered

Install the dev package and the AIW editor is part of that. You enable/disable it from inside the game while in the dev package.

13. Emery

Emery Registered

14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Owwww........was looking for the editor itself :)

Thanks mate; I go and have a look at it!