AI's eats all my fps for breakfast

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Hedlund_90, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

My problem is: Great fps when driving alone, but extremely poor with just a few AI's. Also at some areas at some tracks, my fps can suddenly decrease with more than 50%.

I have everything set to medium graphics, 2x anisotropic filtering, level 1 anti-aliasing, 4932x1080 resolution, multi-view off (completely unplayable when enabled), reflections are off. My GPU's are working at 90-98% while playing, and cpu is using two cores, one at 60-90% load and the other one 40-60%. Nothing strange there, I think.

[HR][/HR]
    Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k 3,3ghz
    GPU: Radeon 7970 3GB crossfire
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 Corsair 1333mzh
    PSU: Corsair HX850 80+ gold
    SSD: SanDisk 120GB
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

rF2 Build 140, installed on primary SSD
    [HR][/HR]

Malaysia
    130 fps in the garage and pit.
    100+ fps all the time when driving alone.
    20 fps in the start with 10 AI's, increasing right after green lights to 30-40.
    Feels quite smooth and playable, but this is with only a few AI's.

Silverstone
    50 fps in the garage, but after 5 seconds it increases to 90 for some reason(?).
    Only 30 fps exactly in the pit exit (something here isn't right).
    45-150 fps when on track, alone.
    15-20 fps in the start and 40-50 rest of the race.

Gameplay feels much smoother when driving alone, even when fps is the very same as when driving with AI's around me.

This values are with crossfire ENABLED. With only one gpu the highest values are much lower, but the very lowest values are slightly better, and definitely much smoother.

I have the latest drivers. I have tried 13.1, 13.4, 13.6 beta. I have tried with or without application profiles, I have tried different settings from Catalyst and it looks like I get much better performance when I let Catalyst handle the anti-aliasing, to 2x MSAA. But something eats up my fps when other cars are visible. It looks like 10 AI's eats ~100 fps at Malaysia, for example.

I can't figure out if this problems are related to rF2 or the drivers. I find it strange that I can achieve very good performance when alone on track (if the track isn't Silverstone), but when adding a few drivers (AI or human), I loose everything :( I'm not asking for much. If game felt smooth enough, I wouldn't care about fps values, stop the benchmarking and just drive. But 20fps never feels smooth. Any suggestions?

Finally I want to ask two questions to ISI:
    1. Will we have better crossfire support in the future? Many games have special crossfire-profiles included in Catalyst.
    2. Will rF2 be able to use 4 cores in the future, or is there no need for that?

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

For some reason, crossfire gives huge fps boost, but becomes a big disadvantage in the more demanding situations. For example: Other cars in the view, a specific building in the view.

3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I don't have crossfire or triple screen but I am experiencing the exact same thing you are with my 5900 series on a single screen using similar settings and trying all the same drivers as you. I never drive alone but just did so after reading this post and other comments about AI being hungry. I, too, am experiencing MUCH smoother performance at even lower fps when alone. With AI I can't even drive in some places even at decent frame rates. I sure hope ISI is listening.

4. MJP

MJP Registered

Oh yes you do, a 5970 is a dual GPU card, essentially CrossFire on a single card, also it only has 1GB of VRAM available.

5. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

1GB VRAM is not optimal, but with one screen and medium settings that should work without any problems. My brother use my old HD4850 and game is running smooth for him, with 500mb VRAM. For me, with triple monitors, rf2 use ~1,8-2,2 GB on the normal tracks, Silverstone uses 2,9GB! But I'm not sure if that's correctly because it sounds insane. I've read that MSI afterburner shows redoubled VRAM-usage when using double GPU's, but then it sounds to small instead, like 1GB on 'normal' tracks and 1,6 with Silverstone :)

Yes, I hope ISI at least read this thread, and if not having any direct solutions, I hope they take a look at it. I don't know exactly how it works, but it seems like something with the AI's are too heavy to draw for the GPU. I thought that all problems would be solved when turning road and environment reflections off, because reflections on 10 AI's are maybe heavy to create if they are badly optimized, but result is the exactly same.

Actually, I have similar problems with Battlefield 3. When adding my second GPU, my lowest fps values are lower than with single GPU, in the 'heavy' situations. But here I think it's a question about drivers/crossfire-profile, because my GPU usage is only 30-50% (!), and still I it's playable with 50fps as lowest, to compare with 90-98% GPU-usage with rF2.

6. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

It also would be really interesting to know how it works for NVIDIA users?
    With a comparable card to 7970 (or that doesn't really matter), what fps do you have alone on track respective with 10 AI's on the grid? Are the AI's too heavy for Nvidia also, or is this problem AMD-related? Any more AMD-users that experience this?

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Some things that I've done to try to solve my performance issues:

- Different graphics settings in game
    - Flashing BIOS to latest version
    - Overclock one gpu to have them running same speed 1000/1375mhz
    - Catalyst drivers 13.1, 13.4 and 13.6 beta2
    - With Applications profiles, and without
    - Different CrossfireX-modes with custom rF2 profile
    - Shift positions of the cards, made some difference
    - Different CrossfireX-bridges, also double bridges
    - Game Booster, shutting down unnecessary processes
    - Disable ULPS

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

AMD here, I'm only running with a single screen. Haven't noticed any significant fps drops with AI (I usually use 10 AIs offline).

9. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Ok thanks. It's true that with single gpu and single screen it's playable for me with high settings. The fps drops are quite big but actually I've forgotten the exact values. But it's absolutely playable.

10. GT_ONE

GT_ONE Registered

Hi everybody,
    I have a GTX 660 2 Go memory, when I play with AI online there is a synchroistation problem, the AI disappears and reappears over and over when I boot them from the server they are still in the lobby, but they aren't on the server I am not alone every other players of the league has the same problem. The real players disappears but the AI are still in the screen. THe only way to solve the problem is to leave the server and join it again. I have this problem since I installed the 240 Build I give you a screenshot to show you what it's like. View attachment 8576

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Sv: AI's eats all my fps for breakfast

Yes this is a build 140 bug, it's probably already reported. But it's not related to the problems I have.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

12. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

If it is a problem with crossfire there may be hope for a solution soon, at least when running a single screen:
    http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-AMD-Improves-CrossFire-Prototype-Driver
    http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31775-amd-promises-to-fix-crossfire-problems

The fps counter may be high in crossfire due to "runt frames" that you never get to see.