AI....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrbblack, May 10, 2012.

1. mrbblack

mrbblack Banned

i love adding AI in races to make it full out grid of 30 + cars .. on a online server me and a friend can bein in there and race a proper race

But im finding that the AI is just so perfect - doesnt really make mistake and they all just drive in perfect line ..driving a perfect race all getting just off what is the best lap taime possible.. and they are really hard to compete against hard to catch up ... ever

at least just make 2 or 3 guys good.. and some medium and some guys slower .. it seems all ai is the same....

no slow guys? no push away leaders? no crashes... ever

just wondering if this is being worked on ?

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have only played 60's formula 1, and these AI's really do mistakes! And some drivers are faster than others. They crash, locks up and sliding into corners... Sometimes I have to restart race 10 times because around the first corner there's a huge crash that I can't avoid. Maybe they are different in other series? But the 60's AI are really maniacs even at 120% strengh.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Of all the included mods I've found the GT cars to be a similar pace, there is a setting in the PLR file to change that (see below). They do crash occasionally and I've made no PLR changes in that area, the 60s cars as Hedlund says have lots of crashes and there sure is a gap with them at Spa from what I've seen!

try having a fiddle with these settings:
    AI Limiter="0.50000" // 1.0 Range: 0.0 (no limiting) - 1.0 (limiting used to make racing closer but also make more driver differences on flat-out tracks)
    AI Mistakes="0.00000" // 0.0 a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes). Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency

beware that too high "Mistakes" means they just shoot off at corners instead of making genuine spins as such. As above I've not had a chance to properly fiddle with the AI, will have a real go at them after the next update though.

4. mrbblack

mrbblack Banned

it might just be the way its set up on the servers im using in the lobby i dont think i can chang ethe agresiveness etc even if im the only one in thse server

which is frustrating because its the only way me and mate can race

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
  5. ROON

ROON Registered

In the 60's Formula's the AI definitely do make mistakes, it's not uncommon to see them locking up and going wide into corners. I've only ever done one AI race with the GT cars and I found that they are way too consistent and end up being nose to tail with each other for the entire race in one big pack. With that said I was racing on Mid-Ohio. I don't know how AI works or if it's the modders responsibility to make sure they can find various paths on the circuit, but if so maybe that explains why every car on the grid formed a long train for a 30 minute race.

6. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

i've done a few AI races with the meganes at mills recently...and somehow the AI always split up into one guy leading quite a bit, two or three guys following relatively close and then the rest of the field in one big lump trailing behind. but i have to agree, that the AI is very, very consistent. after the first lap very little overtaking takes place because the laptimes are so consistent.
    it would be cool, if the AI would use different setups, so one is better at the start of the race, but gets slower when his tires wear out etc.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Remember guys that you're racing against simulated racing driver, they're going to be consistent and they're not really going to make that many mistakes. (In the 60's a mistake could mean death). You can alter things, of course. :)

8. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

All I race is the 60's F1. Agree with all that yes they do make mistakes, and often take me out early.

I'm curious about one thing though... After about 50 race starts and about 15 completed races I finally won a race at Portugual. From that time on I can't keep up with the slowest of the pack! Does the AI adjust it's skill level once you've beaten it? I know that GPL does this.

9. mrbblack

mrbblack Banned

i think that basicically even tho the AI have different names .. they all have exzactly the same skill level ... it shouldnt be

The ai need some individual personality !

10. jv27

jv27 Registered

you mean like stop in practice in a turn?

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

the AI do need some individualismness (eh!?) but until Beta is over I dont think theres much hope of this area being takled, over the months since this forum was here I've seen Dev posts saying the AI will get more time aftre initial release. For now though they are certainly good enough, far better than rF1, I think its a case of making do with what we've got and fiddling with the PLR settings to make them ever so slightly better.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The AI model is capable of creating different personalities. So a Schumacher or Rosberg is possible. :)

13. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

I think I've met Schumacher already. :)

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

its getting too and altering those personalities thats the problem (*cough* new MODiD system *cough*), dont think theres much we can do with just PLR alterations as that would effect every AI driver.

15. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Hi
    I find it funny to read that many are playing against the AI​​.
    I never play and never play the solo race simulation but online.
    Although on-line we often silly chauffares.
    Besides have found the true unfortunately our roads.
    But the competition is much better against human pilots.

this is not a repproche, just notice that I wanted to share.

16. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

At this point in Beta, AI is way better than what I experienced with them in rFactor 1. But no mistakes?, I see it all the time. Especially the 60's on Monaco, they consistently hit hay bales and fly off into the lake (or river, whichever) - I think they get extra season points for how high they can leap over the rail.

I can always beat AI around corners. However, take courage, it is beta!

17. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Tim, you came and went without answering my question. Like to get an answer from the one who would truely know.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

cant say I've noticed this at all and I've raced 99% against the AI since Beta began!

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

lol me several!

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I tried a race against AI in changing rain conditions. What a nightmare. The AI is good in the rain but they'd stop on the first lap for tires and then they get worse from there pitting all the time. I got to the point where I just pitted when they did so I wouldn't get an advantage that way.

I'd like to see more variation in AI. Some are fast, some are not. Every RL race grid is like this. There are McLarens and there are HRTs. The AI in rF2 is all McLarens.