AI slow around hairpins

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by JJStrack, Mar 31, 2012.

1. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

i found no one posting about this, so i start a new thread:
    I noticed, that the AI drives very slowly around hairpins (example: palm beach first corner after pit-out and the corner after that) if many of them are close together, like in the beginning of a race. it looks, as if they detect a collision in front of them and thus slow down. however even the first car of a row of cars goes around the corner very slowly. if there are not many of them close together,like in practice, they drive through these corners at normal speed.
    This happend to me with different settings for the AI and with different cars on different tracks.
    Is someone else having this problem?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

This is mostly for the benefit of humans, so if you brake earlier they don't ram you as often.

3. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

So, they slow down by default to avoid crashes instead of to calculate the distante to the next car? It doesnt sound clever nor simulation. It seems a coded behaviour as Codemasters likes to do.:mad:

How could this be for the benefit of humans if there's no human infront of the slow AI?

4. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

i'm affraid you didn't quite understand:
    they are slow ALL THE WAY around the hairpin....and by slow, i mean about half the speed you actually could do.
    is there an easy way to record the replay, so i could show it to you?

5. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

The AI might get me sometimes in the straights, but I know I can pass them in most of the turns. I still like the AI tho.

When I run Mid-Ohio driving the Spark F1's, there is one AI driver I have come to know as "smoke". He always, and I mean always, smokes the tires big-time slowing for turn after the long straight into turn 4.

6. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

i'm not speaking about them beeing a little slow around corners, so i can overtake them.
    i'm speaking about the AI driving something like 30kph when you could go 60kph around that corner...thus i posted in the bug subforum, not in the wishlist wishing for better AI

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

the AI as we know is Beta as well as the game so its gonna have problems, good find on the hairpin issue, not raced there myself yet.
    I do plan on doing a massive indepth look at everything AI and writing up about it....just hav'nt found the time yet!