AI running out of fuel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by J7166, Nov 10, 2019.

1. J7166

J7166 Registered

I've been trying to run my own WEC series offline with AI. My question is are AI able to make pitstops for fuel? They keep retiring because the run out of fuel. Is it not possible in rf2? Really frustrating after doing a 45 minute stint and the all 20 AI retire. Is there anything I can do about that? I'd rather not turn fuel usage off. Kind of ruins the immersion when you do that. Is it a track problem. Anyone have tips?

2. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Registered

For what it worth, I experience that only with their last stint when they try to make the distance with the remaining fuel (they have a two laps margin when they pit to refuel). Other than that i found no issues in race and they all refuel.

It might be a track issue or a car issue. Are you sure to use a make allowed to refuel in race ?

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

yeah, something is wrong. AI naturally pit for fuel or worn tires or damage for that matter. One of the long standing issues with rF2 is that they pit too often, if, for example, the race has rain either at the end of qualifying or the start of a race.
    so first things to check. Use an official S397 track and cars. Silverstone, Sebring, Nurb gp, Nola, Atlanta MP(NOT Road Atlanta) Zandvoort.
    This will eliminate any issues with modded tracks.
    Then use normal fuel use, when you choose 2x or 3x etc the computer makes a calculation of how much fuel the cars will need. The more you advance the fuel use, the larger the possible deviation.
    Similar to this, don't use the long long tracks until you have correctly found the problem. The longer the lap, the more likely they won't get all they way around.
    Now I'm not arguing against 3rd party tracks, most (including Road Atlanta) are very good. I just want to make sure as many variables as possible are eliminated first.
    Finally, well, a couple of finally's. Always include as much information as possible. List the car pack/mod so we don't have to assume.
    These could be S397 DLC cars you are using, or it could be a 3rd party mod like Enduroracers. The track 'could' be Sebring or it could be a Shanghai from an unknown author. Now the 2nd finally. S397 has a long list of offline solo issues that have been identified. But they won't begin to start working on solo offline issues until they have completed the new UI(user interface) and competition system. Since they have been working on the new UI for close to 3 years, I don't think we'll see any meaningful progress for a long time. Recommendations for offline racing is to disable all flags except possibly the Black Flag and no full course yellows.
    Good luck

4. J7166

J7166 Registered

Thanks I was racing at Shanghai so maybe there weren't enough pit boxes, Ill have to check when I get home. Very well could be a track issue. I've noticed AI pitting real early for fuel before but not the entire field retiring like this. Thanks for the help.

5. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

They need to run some laps on practice session. Did you let them run in practice?

6. J7166

J7166 Registered

Yes I ran a 30 minute practice and 20 minute qualifying session before the race.

7. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Do they run out of fuel at every track or only one?

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

This.

And also this:
    When do they run out of fuel?
    It can have different reasons, track vs car related, if they run out of fuel at the first lap or later.
    If it happens later, can you post a link of the track where it happens?

buzz hornet likes this.
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If I load too many cars for a track, I start removing cars until I reach the proper grid size. If you are trying to race a full season with all the cars in your carset, then you need to find tracks that can accommodate the number of your grid size. Good luck.

10. J7166

J7166 Registered

From what I remember this has only happened on mod tracks. Believe I saved replays of most of these incidents. I'll review the car/track combos etc when I get home today. Most recent example was at Shanghai which was a mod track, but I only used official S397 vehicles (Senna, Oreca, GTEs)

11. J7166

J7166 Registered

So on Sunday, I was running short 5 lap races at Reiza Imola with S397 GT3 cars. 20 car grids, including me and 18 of the AI cars retired from running out of fuel. This happened 3 races in a row. I didn't run practice session but I did do 20 minute qualifying sessions before each race. I'm having this issue of AI running out of fuel at every race I do lately, official content, not official content, its extremely frustrating and I don't know how to solve this problem. Anyone have other tips? I looked into the "fixed setup" stuff but that seems like it would only work for single make races. Its to the point where I wont even bother running a race with AI.

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

did you have the fuel multiplier setting set to 1?

Just ran a test, you didn't say which Rieza track of Imola, so I chose the 2018.(man there are Imolas all over my track menu.) All 20 GTE cars(which includes mine) finished without running out of fuel. I only found the TIME SCALE setting, which I moved from 4x to Normal. I could not find(in the new UI) the option to accelerate fuel and/or tire wear.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  13. J7166

J7166 Registered

sorry I forgot to add that, I was using the 2001 imola layout (the best layout :D) with the s397 GT3 cars. I use 1X fuel usage and 1x time scale.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Just ran another 5 lap test with the 2001 layout of Imola. I let the AI do about 6 or 7 minutes of practice then finished the session, Qualifying I had it set for one hot lap, with 3 total. I allowed all the cars to complete Q. I did use CTRL-X to speed up the session once I returned to the garage. DO NOT Skip to next session. Finish it.(this will be vital if you have rain in either Q or the start of the race) Once all the cars had returned to the pits, I then used the finish session option.
    All the cars in the race completed 5 laps, all had enough fuel to return to the pits.
    You could try to check the player.json for these lines:
    "AI Fuel Mult":0.99,
    "AI Fuel Mult#":"Additional fuel multiplier for AIs because of their driving style",
    The 0.99 acts as a percentage. Any number below 1.0 reduces the amount of fuel the AI use. Any number greater than 1.0 increases the amount of fuel the AI use. 0.99 I'm assuming is the default value. (and being ever so slightly below 1.0, this gives the AI a small improvement in MPG/LPG and thus they should be able to drive a little bit further.
    One other item to check. Make sure you are using the S397 cars as oppenents. There are at least two other GT3 mods that could easily be mixed up as opponents. The easiest way to check is visually inspecting each car in practice. Look for the number LED on the wind-screen. AFAIK, the Apex cars and the Simtek mod do not have that feature.

atomed likes this.
  15. J7166

J7166 Registered

Thanks for the help Dave, I'll check out the player.json tonight. Seems like that could be the issue because of how often this is happening to me. Don't remember changing anything there before, but we'll see.

16. J7166

J7166 Registered

Thru quite some trial and error, it seems the issue was from me using "Fast-Rolling Start" and not the standard rolling start. I didnt even realize there were 2 different types of rolling starts... I guess maybe the game is taking out too much fuel from the AI during that start type, Once I changed to standard rolling start all was fine. This also solved my issue at Daytona with most of the field not leaving the starting line. Maybe its just a fluke, or maybe its a game issue idk, but after everything working with standard rolling starts if I changed it back to Fast rolling starts, the AI will run out of fuel again...

Emery and davehenrie like this.
  17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Due to the issues rF2 has will field fragmentation under yellow, I rarely use the rolling start. THAT would have taken us ages to figure out. Good Catch. (now, where IS that fast start line...)

18. J7166

J7166 Registered

I appreciate the help. Not sure why it took me so long to realize I had it set up fast rolling starts, which are absolutely terrible btw. Still not sure why that is effecting AI fuel levels... But just one of those quirky rFactor2 things I guess.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

AI Fuel Usage is Track Dependant, I use Fast Rolling starts in all my GT Racing and have not seen All or Many AI pitting with one lap to go.

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

When we built the SCC mod for GTR2, we had to create specific engine files for the Le Mans cars. Since I couldn't edit the fuel mileage of the track itself which somebody else built, we had to lower the fuel usage of the engines to keep the fuel windows approximately what they should be. The rF1(GTR2) calculations combined track fuel-use values with throttle position. Since Le Mans was wide open so much of the time, the regular cars would suck fuel at tremendous rates.