AI run out of fuel

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by sherpa25, Nov 2, 2018.

1. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Hi, newb question as I'm not really too familiar with many of rF2's peculiarities, and just recently tried racing with AI in AC_Mugello with Apex GT3s. Unfortunately, I wondered why after lap 1, many of them (not all) started to stop in the middle of the track. I stopped, then one car suddenly overtook, so I tried catching and raced 1 lap before I exited. Then when I looked at Standings, there it stated 'Fuel' for many AI. How is this set up? Didn't see any fuel setup in Race settings, only AI car type, weather, and laps.

While at it, I also tried to increase AI strength to 110% (as these AI seemed too slow at 100%, or perhaps because there's some learning setup needed?), or because these are mods (car and track)?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. Pales

Pales Registered

Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost certain this is due to the incorrect fuel calculations on the track. I am not sure if you can configure a practice and qualify, let them run, and see if this overrides the value set within the track file?

3. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Oh, so there’s a predefined amount in the track file? How does it know for the various amounts of car variations? I had a Practice selected before the Race, but chose Next Session as I forgot to uncheck Practice before clicking Race. I'll try that again tomorrow. Thanks.

By the way, where do I change start procedure (from formation to just standing Start). Though I’m aware pressing spacebar skips formation, better to just start off straight as Standing start, if its possible.

4. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

If I remember correcty, the modder didn't add fuel usage into the AIW file (That's where the predefined value is). You'd know it because once you're in the garage if you go to the setups tab you'll see fuel = N/A laps. Regardless of that, before fixing it myself I raced that track with S397 GT3's and Simtek GT3's and didn't get the issue you described. Not sure if Apex mod relies on that value.
    There's a thread about how to fix the fuelusage value in the AIW file but since you're relatively new to the game, you may find it complicated and overwhelming at first as you'd need to learn first how to pack/unpack tracks and create rfcmp's.

The AI was also not very well done on that track (at least for GT cars). There's also a way to fix this yourself and create a new AI fast path if you have the patience to learn how to do it, otherwise, it is what it is.

The Race setup screen in the main menu is where you change the start procedure. The very first line (Race start type).

sherpa25 likes this.
  5. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Thanks much for the detail info. Might be a good idea to mention it in the Apex thread? Would it help if I just max out AI Level in to race in that track? OTOH, what cars do you think run fairly well in this track? I'll check the Simtek GT3's too. Thanks again.

EDIT: I checked Setup->fuel in Garage, and it showed lots of fuel (in my car). Tried briefly with AI @ max 120%, and at least they're somewhat in better pace. Will try a longer one later.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  6. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Apex won't be able to help because the issue is with the track.

I'm almost positive that a F1 car or similar was used to create the fast path so that line doesn't always work on cars with less grip and downforce, and still that doesn't ensure that the fast path was well executed. So you could try a F1 but again, I didn't try it, i actually created my own fast path.
    Sure, you can increase the AI difficulty to match your pace over the course of a lap but their pace won't be consistent throughout the whole lap....they'll be fast in some sections and slow in others due to the quality of the fast path.

7. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Oh, thought fuel would be based on the car, as each consumes differently :D. Perhaps is it feasible for you to share your fast path?

8. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I'm not the creator of the track so I did it for personal use. But I'd encourage you to search the forum and learn how to do it if you plan on spending some time racing offline in rF2, it's well worth it, as rF2 has one of the best AI's when it's properly done.

ekki and sherpa25 like this.