AI rain tires

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Alexandre Bauer, Nov 5, 2022.

1. Alexandre Bauer

Alexandre Bauer Registered

Hi, folks!

It appears that AI can't choose the correct tires for rainy conditions. I mean, if it rains lightly AI goes with slick, if it is raining like a storm, it goes maximum with intermediate (when it is available), or even slick tires, and inexplicable doing good times with it.

Point is, AI never chooses the wet tires if intermediate is available when it arguably should. It ruins the experience, and makes AI that starts with slicks pit in the second lap just for pick intermediate instead of what would be logical: starting with rain tires.

It appears slick, intermediate or rain tires don't make much difference for AI, maybe it is the reason.

I tried with Formula 1 22 mod, Nissan Super GT500 2013 (original content), GTE... in Silverstone, Suzuka and Zandvoort.

2. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

That's not how it should work last time I looked at it. The AI picks tyres based on current road conditions and current weather.

If it's raining heavily and slightly damp they should go straight to wets. If it's light rain and slightly damp they should get intermediates.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Also remember, the AI pays attn to weather during previous sessions, if you skip from practice to race they don't get a chance to learn the weather.

4. Alexandre Bauer

The most strange thing is AI being able to go superfast with slicks in rainy conditions, it is just 2 seconds from dry condition time.

I suppose it should be. Can you do some further tests with Nissan GT500?

5. Alexandre Bauer

Doing some extra tests with GTE here is what I got:

Race lap times/tires.
    [​IMG]

Race condition (clearly very wet)
    [​IMG]

In that condition I was with rain tires, and couldn't keep pace of AI with slicks, on the contrary, the feeling was like I had slick and AI had rain, my car had a very slippery and unpredictable behavior.

So I restart the race and changed my tire for soft slicks, and for some reason, AI started with rain tires.

Here is what happened:

[​IMG]

I had a way better feeling with slicks, slow, but predictable (like Barrichello in Germany 2000), but what surprised me one more time was AI going very slow, struggling a lot to keep the cars on track even tho it was using rain tires.

So, definitely, there is something to be looking at here.