AI Overtaking "broken" in Build 228?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Jun 12, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Before posting in the Support/Bugs forum thought I'd see if anyone else has noticed a change to AI behaviour, done some testing this evening after I thought something was up with the Meganes, Corvettes & 370z (only ones I tried)

Basically now at LRP, Palm Beach, Portugal & Hidden Valley (granted a community track but point remains valid) the AI fail to try any overtaking at the end of long straights whether its vs Human or AI, I have tried various PLR settings and default but they no longer "dive bomb" like they definatley did before. It may of been a bit excessive in previous builds depending on the AIW but it was there, now when racing against them and even just watching they simply dont do it.

One thing new in this Build (maybe in the last not 100% sure, not in 198) is the following line in the PLR:

AI Logic Override="0" // use bitfields to disable certain AI behaviors. 1= blocking line

Wondering whether this new bit of code has messed up something, any thoughts?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

In most cases with these kind of changes, it can be changes made for previous builds not now matching default settings with new changes. My first suggestion would be to use a 228 default player file, etc.

Sorry, I see you did say you tried default (that's what you meant, right?)

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

already have tried default as mentioned above, same results.

4. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Yes, I've noticed this too. It was present in b218 and I think b198 too.

I've sat onboard AI cars and watched them race one another. If a car has a slipstream on another, rather than move inside for an overtake, it will ease off and keep tucked in behind the car ahead. It's as if the chasing car doesn't wan't to deviate from the racing line to make a pass.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Pretty sure 198 was ok but now you mention it the last build may of had the same issues.

anyone got a link for install builds 198 and 218? feel like thoroughly checking this out if no one from ISI confirms its a bug.

6. tjc

tjc Registered

I have the builds if they`re needed.

I did a 14 lap race at LRP with the Meganes last night. I started from the back and worked my way through but the AI just drove round like a train, one behind the other, nose to tail never even attempting any over takes...

I experimented with the AI Limiter and Auto Line Smooth values in previous builds though and doing that definitely seemed to make a difference.

Not done that with this build though...

7. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Noticable at LRP at the SF straight they used to fight each other and human racers and were all over the track before the first corner - now the train is back......

8. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Anyone can confirm if is there talent files and if they were replaced / inserted in the last build?

From Scott Juliano:

"The AI are now MUCH better at holding their lines through turns, and how they act when behind you. Mind you if you slam on the brake with an AI right behind you outside of a braking zone, then yeah, you're going to get hit--same thing happens in real life to everyday drivers. But if you race properly so do they...

AI characteristics are centrally located based on series--it's easy to tweak them now..."

If AI chars are based on series, has someone already addressed where is there parameters?

9. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

I last raced AI in 218 ... the AI would overtake me but not each other. They seem to race in a very close pack as if they are all the same skill level or something.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok had 198 & 218 lite builds on my PC so did some testing, change in behaviour with 218 & 228 especially noticeable in the Meganes. They simply dont block and overtake as much as they did in 198 (testing at LRP & Palm Beach) and they tend to "sit" behind the human driver a lot more and dont dive bomb like they did in 198. Build 218 changelog notea a lot of AI additions/changes and one specifically relating to RCD:
    - Minor adjustment to some driver RCD editor to keep some parameters within meaningful bounds.
    no idea what that means but if its a change to RCD files maybe it's gone too far?

also this line again added in 218:
    - Added a new playerfile parameter “AI Logic Override” that can disable specific AI behaviors using a bit field. Currently only one behavior is toggle-able: use of the “blocking” line….which is disabled when this parameter is set to 1.
    I dont notice any difference between a setting of 0 and 1, wonder if this is "broken" currently? if so maybe its broken something else with regard to overtaking/slipstreaming/dive bombs I dunno...something has changed since 198 that's all I know.

Trouble with so many PLR options and then AIW editing and then RCD/VEH files....you start messing a bit and you get lost quick as to whats happening where and with what, would be great that when ISI get around to some sort of Manual they also explain the main functions of the AI and the relative PLR lines and RCD values.

I'm done with fiddling now I just wanna race the AI but knowing they rarely overtake it takes away a lot of the fun and the point of racing them :(

11. tjc

tjc Registered

Have you tried editing the AI Limiter and Auto Line Smooth values with b228?

I know youv`e said your done with editing but just wondering... I haven`t with b228 as of yet.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yep did all that with steady changes from Default, it's one of those things like I said you change so much you forget whats what after a while and it all becomes a mess!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
  13. tjc

tjc Registered

Mmm... :(

Not so good then. I hope the AI "train" is sorted up soon.

14. Max

Max Registered

yeah I noticed this too straight away, didn't know what to make of it.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I hope ISI replies to this--something is dramatically altered (for the worse), but I am still using .PLR from 218...

16. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Yep...have to agree the AI has gone down hill in the last few builds.

17. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

It's more like a Gran Turismo style AI train now.

18. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I do a random grid at the start of my 30 minute timed races with no flags and the same guys end up at the front by the end of the race with the 370Z cars and the Meganes so the best guys overtake other AI but lots of them don't bother attempting to overtake each other. I'd guess they don't try because they don't think they can make it.

I can't really comment about the builds before the last couple as I had too many problems running the game with my old system and got busy doing other stuff like exercising.

19. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

You dream, I'm waiting for this "manual" to rFactor 1. And I'll do forever.

20. MikeZ

MikeZ Registered

I've been looking into this for the past few hours but I'm unable to recreate the problem to the level that you guys are seeing it. I haven't modified any of the car-to-car logic since before build 198, but I have made a number of tweaks to the feedback loops that define how the AI handle loss of grip & disappearing drive-able road surface ahead of their current line (cases where the driving line sweeps from one side of the road to the other along with a car experiencing understeer).

I have found a bug in build 228 that causes an AI to over-react to a tire momentarily off the ground (which can happen when diving into a corner and over a rumble strip), which if triggered would forced them to hang at even throttle for about an extra half second. As of right now, that is my best guess about what you are seeing. Does that explanation seem consistent with your observations? If not, and if you don't mind, you can send me your playerfile, so I can test the "exact" racing conditions you are seeing. Thanks.