AI motor choices

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Emery, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

I'm trying to think of ways to give one of the AI a default engine that's different than the player's default engine.

The thought stems from emulating the difference between factory teams and privateer teams. They start with the same car, but the factory team often has a better motor (and sometimes better everything).

Now if my only concern were to be single-player, then I'd set a different HDV in the VEH. But then you get to multiplayer and everybody will naturally select the factory teams and skip using the privateers.

One way to do this is to have a tuning option for "AI motor" and "league edition motor", with AI motor being the default. I've heard rumours, however, that server admins can't reliably force tuning options without causing some pain for the user (e.g. the option still exists but user gets an error if they choose the wrong one).

Second way to do this is to have two editions of the mod, the "standard edition" and the "league edition". I dislike duplicating but can see this is probably the simplest solution.

Are there other ways? Am I missing some method where the VEH can say "use this for AI, but not the player"?

2. Emery

Emery Registered

Brainstorming: in the car selection tree, one could choose "standard edition" or "league edition", probably enforced by racing class (example: standard edition = "GT3" and league edition = "GT3 LE"). Does this present the same complication that tuning options do for server admins?

3. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

You could use a different upgrade.ini for each team. The AI always take the first option of the upgrades, so you could put the engine you desire to be used first on the list.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Cant imagine any other way then via upgrade...