AI Mistakes should be in Talent file & AI AIW settings

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by SRosswick, Apr 15, 2015.

1. SRosswick

SRosswick Registered

In the PLAYER file you will notice the line:

AIMistakes= x.xx

This forces the AI to make mistakes n% of the time, or not at all if set to 0.0. I have spent much, much time fiddling with this value from rF1 and now rF2 and it seems to be quite limited.

Having this set to ANY VALUE leads to rather unrealistic AI behavior because if you're racing with someone who rarely makes mistakes, they are still forced to make mistakes some of the time. On the other hand, if you're racing a newb who is constantly making mistakes, he's forced to drive considerably better than usual because all drivers are forced to make the same amount of mistakes.

I certainly feel like Forced AI Mistakes should be a parameter in the Talent files, so each driver can have varying mistakes in the same field of drivers.

Example: AIMistakes=0.15

Klaus Ludwig, who rarely makes mistakes; now makes mistakes every 4-5 laps. It should be more like once per race. Crashes rarely.
    Pete Halsmer, who is fast but makes occasional mistakes, does so every 4-5 laps. It should be a mistake every 10 or 15 laps. Crashes sometimes.
    John Wes Townley, who makes more mistakes than not, does so every 4-5 laps. Numerous mistakes, perhaps multiple offs or shunts per race.

Those are quite polarizing examples, but I think it's enough to demonstrate what I'm trying to explain.

If I am somehow incorrect in my understanding of this value, please feel free to enlighten me.

-------

ALSO

In the AIW file you see parameters such as these:

Default Values:
    SlowWhenPushed=1.00
    AISpec=(0.0000,0.0000,1.0000,0.0000) // 4 ways to express AI speed on track, limit the acceration, max speed, their cornering speed, or their deceleration. 0.0 - 1.0
    AIDraftStickiness=(4.000)

I don't mean to be forward, but WHY ARE THESE HERE!? Are they simply left over and looked over? IIRC These values have been in the AIW files since before rF1 and they seem to only diminish AI racing. I have had to go into MULTIPLE tracks to change these values so that the AI not only races more competitively but also just so they'll turn normal laps without locking brakes or doing that stupid sort of AI behavior. This of course is much more difficult now that rF2 uses package files...

My Values:
    SlowWhenPushed=0.00
    AISpec=(0.0000,0.0000,0.0000,0.0000) // 4 ways to express AI speed on track, limit the acceration, max speed, their cornering speed, or their deceleration. 0.0 - 1.0
    AIDraftStickiness=(0.5500)

I'm sure plenty of you guys have noticed the AI slowdown in T3 at ISI's Mountain Peak... after changing the pointless default values the AI behaved MUCH better and slowdown in T3 was reduced, but not eliminated. The same goes for nearly every track where the AI 'slows down too much'.

This last part is a bit vague for 'Wishlist' so here goes: Better implementation (or removal) of these archaic or irrelevant values. -OR- A better explanation to exactly what the purpose of these parameters are and why the 'fudge factors' are so extreme.

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

There is already a value in talent-file that affects AI mistakes:

Courtesy = 76.88
    Composure = 69.84 <------------ that´s the one
    Speed = 94.5

This value sets the "mistake-rate" per driver.

There is also:
    Crash = 6.91

Don´t know exactly how this works but with this you can have mistakes, but should be able to stop crashing.

I find the AISpec line in AIW kind of reasonable! With this you have influence on what kind of slowdown AI does.
    But this values should only affect AI when you select AI strenght <100%.
    So when the AI slows down in corners and you want to avoid that, simply make them stronger! :D