"AI LIMITER" with only 1 AI ? & Automaticly "FORCE SETUP" ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pilAUTO, Apr 18, 2021.

1. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I want to know exactly what the impact of the "AI LIMITER" feature is when I race only with 1 AI.

Indeed, both for PC/graphic performance reasons and for the quality of the AI, I now only use 1 AI.

Moreover, how, without having to use the "FORCE SETUP" functionality in the showroom EVERY TIME, ensure that FORCE SETUP is automatic without any action on my part when choosing the car/track combo ?

Thank you.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

AI limiter is a variable that adds some mistakes to the AI driving. (such as missed braking pt, spin) So whether you have 1 AI car or 100, the limiter is in effect. It does not limit the AI vs the other AI, but just induces, depending upon the value you set, some possible human-like errors.(Even Hamilton missed a corner last month at Bahrain...it happens)
    You could also try the ghost car if you just want one car.
    I don't know of any way for the sim to know what setup you want each time you drive. I guess you could save a replay and start from that, but I don't know if the car configuration/setup is part of the saved information

pilAUTO likes this.
  3. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I have enabled the "AI MISTAKES" feature in the player.json.

I noticed that at 92% strength, 25% aggression and 5% limiting, with a GT3 on the Nurburgring GP, the "AI MISTAKE" on 3.0 with 1 AI led to APPROXIMATELY 9 visible errors in 10 laps (20- 21 minutes). Do you think this is the same type of error as for AI Limiter ?

Thank you.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I couldn't say, haven't tested those enough individually to compare.

5. bears

bears Registered

I always thought Ai limiter determined how spread out the field was low number equals bunched field high number equals spread out field or the other way around but I might be wrong. Ai mistake definitely impacts the amount of ai errors. Top secret in his aiw thread shared his json settings and the rationale behind them which is interesting also

the other thing I have discovered recently is the apparent impact a good rcd file can have on ai performance step distance, racing line and settings like fear of walls all impact ai performance. For example my understanding is that fear of walls helps ai stay off curbs which inturn could help them perform better at certain tracks

good luck with it offline racing in rf2 is hit and miss unfortunately when it’s good it’s great but when it’s bad well it’s very bad

DucMan888 likes this.
  6. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Can someone confirm or deny what Dave said about the AI limit, if he's right that's good news for me, I would set the AI limit to 100% max !!!!!

I just discovered racing against 1 AI after 8 years of struggling with the AI from rf2, and the AI with only 1 guy is so much better!

7. bears

bears Registered

pilAUTO likes this.
  8. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

@davehenrie

Are you sure about this, thank's? :

"AI limiter is a variable that adds some mistakes to the AI driving. (such as missed braking pt, spin) So whether you have 1 AI car or 100, the limiter is in effect. It does not limit the AI vs the other AI, but just induces, depending upon the value you set, some possible human-like errors."

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Wouldn't be the first time I crossed up definitions. I was probably equating the AI errors in the json file. Bears, I think, has it right, the ai limiter probably controls how packed or spread out the field becomes.

pilAUTO likes this.
  10. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I understand the role of the "AI LIMITER" feature when there are multiple AIs, but I'm sorry, I still don't understand what the impact of the "AI LIMITER" feature is when I race only with 1 AI.

Thank you.

11. JamesB

JamesB Registered

It won't have an effect if there is only one ai. It only matters when there are more than one.

12. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

This is what I assumed but I was not sure.

Thank you.

13. Audere est facere

Audere est facere Registered

It should be like this :

The AI Limiter is for making the AI slower on some laps. And it is connected to the MinRacingSkill in the RCD file. With AI Limiter on 0.0 the AI is just performing every lap as good as possible. Every singe lap should be nearly the same time. So the field is gonna spread out in a natural way as all AI is performing on their "own" level.

If the AI Mistakes Level in the json file is high and the Composure level in the rcd file is low for a good AI driver you will see some mistakes and therefore slower laptimes for sure.

The higher the AI Limiter the more often there should be sub optimal performance by the AI. And here takes the MinRacingSkill control.

I have often seen RCD files like this :

Speed = 90
    MinRacingSkill = 70

For almost all drivers in the file. All had lower level of MinRacingSkill compared to Speed. It looks like the creators thought that the MinRacingSkill is a figure like Speed. But its NOT ! It is a multiplier ! So a RCD file could lokk like this :

Speed = 50
    MinRacingSkill = 90

and the AI will still be slower when performing as bad lap.

But I see I am drifting away ....its all so highly complex !

14. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Thank you very much for this answer.

So if I understand correctly, contrary to what has been said, a 100% limiter will vary and have an impact on the level of 1 AI, at least in its evenness and consistency ?

In addition, I found graphic settings allowing me to put 9 AI with 9 visible AI.

If I do not want a realistic AI in the sense of "professional drivers", but rather not being very regular and making more or less serious errors, I must therefore increase the coefficient of AI mistakes (the more AI, the more it takes a low coefficient I suppose?), And put a non-zero limiter AI and can be quite high ??

Your answers are valuable.

Also, since I use little AI (at the moment 9), and I do the qualifications in time acceleration, the AI is better.

Also, I find that ultimately 25%, which is the default AI aggressiveness value, is a good compromise between aggressiveness and overtake.

Thank you for your advice and your help.