AI issues

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by TheEngiGuy, May 9, 2017.

1. TheEngiGuy

TheEngiGuy Registered

I mainly play singleplayer and I've noticed a couple of AI issues that need to be adressed ASAP (especially oval AI), possibly before the Championship feature comes out.

- AI pit strategy needs to be improved. It's not uncommon seeing AI going to pits during the last few laps. I'm not even sure if they do change tires when rain starts and ends.
    - Playing with formula cars is much more frustrating than with road cars. Formula AI drivers think their wheels don't have collision boxes (= aren't solid) so they end up wrecking each other very frequently during turns. I happen to restart races a lot because of AI purposely crashing into me and other drivers, even with aggression as low as 10%. I'm pretty sure it is not my fault, because road car AI drivers are pretty fun to play with, and I've had many clean races in iRacing online.
    - AI is not affected by mechanical damage. AI drivers still manage to race just fine with broken cars.
    - I've noticed that, in some cars, AI doesn't have skill differences. I've took the new Honda Civic for a spin and the race didn't feel "dynamic" (with AI driving the same way, and on rails), but maybe it's just me.
    - The AI also have a wet weather issue where the they will pit for a fresh set of wet tyres every 2 or 4 or so laps.

Oval specific issues:
    - AI entering pits behaviour needs to be improved (even for modded tracks, if possible). Sometimes they spin for braking too much, other times they ignore the presence of the player and other AI drivers when changing line for pits, so they tend to ruin the race for everyone.
    - AI should slow down when a wreck happens and should try to avoid damaged cars in the middle of the road (at the moment, they don't, so "intentional" crashes happen too frequently).
    - Formation Lap behaviour should be improved, I've noticed AI cars not catching up so there are some huge gaps until green flag (unless I'm missing something and there are certain rules I don't know about?)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    RoboCAT10 likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I've seen many of those problems. At Atlanta MP I did a race with a formation lap and the green flag flew before I started the long left hand turn BEFORE the right hand corner that leads to the s/f line. And the entire AI field pitted on lap 4 of the 5 lap race. When de-bugging behavior such as you listed, the first step is to verify that as many variables as possible are removed. Make sure your fuel use and tire wear are set to normal.

3. TheEngiGuy

TheEngiGuy Registered

Just bumping, hoping that these issues will be looked into. I've also added more info since I started playing again recently.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

There's no Talent file in the S397 Civics (when there was one in the ISI), I did flag this up to Marcel and I'm hoping it'll be added (a long with the Radical Talent Files). That certainly helps with regards to individuality and is better than default, but saying that the standard default Civic AI (without Talent Files) are still good to race against on tracks with a good working AIW.

Edit: For a future Championship Tool from S397 it would be better for all cars to have Talent Files IMO, without it is another story...

peterchen and jayarrbee36 like this.
  5. TheEngiGuy

TheEngiGuy Registered

Thanks for the info, it wasn't just my impression then! Yeah, they're still fun to drive with AI.
    Skill differences help add dinamicity in races, so hopefully all cars will have talent files prior to the release of the Championship mode.

MarcG likes this.
  6. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

The AI also have a wet weather issue where the they will pit for a fresh set of wet tyres every 2 or 4 or so laps. If anyone has the chance can they please use the FISIR2012 cars in a full wet weather race and see if this bug happens to you?

I agree about damage not effecting the AI performance. It looks incredibly stupid.

TheEngiGuy likes this.
  7. TheEngiGuy

TheEngiGuy Registered

Another necro because all of this is still relevant AND I need to ask something before spending money: does the GT3 pack have talent files?

8. TheEngiGuy

TheEngiGuy Registered

I guess no?
    I wonder if the developers are even aware of these. Raindrops, wet cars and all that, cool, but AI contributes to gameplay much more and should be one of the top priorities.

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  9. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

That's highly subjective ☺️

10. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

I would like to see AI as a top priority but I'm probably in a minority rather than majority. Online seems to be where all games (race sims or not) are heading (and have been for a while now).

rF2 still has the one of if not the best AI out there though (assuming the talent files are in place)

To get back OT I presume no for the new GT3 cars as well at the moment. I think I may have read that somewhere else here? I raced a pack of Corvettes at a couple of tracks (Portimao and Road America) and can barely make it round the first corner without getting rammed from multiple directions. Very project Cars 2 ;). Not an issue with the ApexGT3 mod. Pretty sure S397 will address when they get more skins/cars to race with (rather than Test Driver X).

11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

also fix the ai tapping brakes when in draft. shown in jimmies last rf2 vid, and also fixed by reiza in their gmotor sim.

12. Filip

Filip Registered

I wouldn't be so sure. Polls show that great majority plays racing sims offline exclusively.
    Rf2 has biggest percentage of online users but they are still minority is my guess.
    Though S397 probably has focus on online with new competition system, as you said.

13. TheEngiGuy

TheEngiGuy Registered

Of course, If you're mainly into multiplayer you obviously don't need AI to enjoy the game.

I like how the developers are working hard on rF2 improving the engine, the physics etc. (even though I still think moving to rFactor 3 would probably be a better option), but those require much more work. Right now AI only needs more polishing (talent files for updated cars, formula AI awareness, oval AI in general and the bugs the guys above mentioned to fix) to become near-perfect and flawless. If they will be fixed in time for the championship feature, that would be awesome!

Emery likes this.