AI Issue

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by green serpent, Jul 13, 2016.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Sorry, missed your reply.

Yeah, absolutely you can fine tune the AIW paths on a per corner basis.
    What you describe, driving a great lap but having one corner be bad, happens to me too all the time.
    There's no need to redo the entire lap though.

If the corner is only slightly off, you can fine tune it by hand.
    Select the relevant waypoints and SHIFT + left/right arrow keys to adjust the path (add ALT to make even finer adjustments).
    Turn on "speed text" to get a better idea about how your path manipulations will affect the AI.
    This type of adjustment is a quick fix to most path issues you'll run into.

If the corner is way off, I usually just drive/record that one corner on a new lap.
    I create and name a separate path (a "patch path"), press record, and only focus on getting that one corner right.
    After you get it right, you can then copy the new corner onto the main path you're working on.
    For more detail on how to do this, please ask and I'll try to explain step by step.

Anyway, when making AIWs I find that I'm spending less and less time driving and more and more time editing.
    Also, I've realized that great driving skills is in no way needed in order to make a great AIW.
    Smooth driving and accurate apexing is key, not outright speed.

If you record the fastest lap you can possibly do, you'll often find that the AI doesn't react very well to it.
    So, slower and more accurate is better. The AI will compensate for your lack of speed, and with accurate lines it'll most likely end up being very fast.

You can basically achieve the same view from above in the rF2 AIW editor.
    Map the swingman controls to your numpad, zoom way out and rotate it any way you please.
    The movement and zoom rates can be adjusted in the controller file iirc, if the movement is too slow and becomes annoying.

2. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I've found the Skip Barber and the Cobra are useful for this. They force you to be smooth with the trajectory of the the car.
    That makes it hard to make short, sharp kinks in the driving lines, which is what can cause the AI to slow down more than they really should.
    You want the line to be as straight and smooth as possible for the AI to take advantage of it.

Also, for reference and from my experience (Longford & Matsusaka, and working with Hex on Matsusaka), it's worth testing the AI fast path with these cars:
    - Cobra and Howston G4/G6 to test if they'll run wide in fast or medium speed corners (i think 'Fast_H' is the alternate path name for the Cobra if needed)
    - FISI & Nissan GTR-1 to test if the cars will cut the apex too much.
    - DW-12 and Corvette to check that the cars will fit in a narrow or short garage.
    - FISI to check that the AI can make a sharp corner out of a garage onto a pitlane or pit extension path (they have an awful turning circle).
    - Clio to might do some odd things on kerbs or bumps because it's front wheel drive.
    - maybe the Ice Cream trucks to check the garage height :D