AI Impossible

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whitmore, Jan 21, 2016.

1. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Not sure if Ai are the same for all mods but the Flat 6 AI are just impossible to race against. Zero aggression and 110% strength they just barge , undercut, dive bomb and any other manoeuvre they can think of to punt you off the track. While running similar lap times even from 3 seconds behind they will come out of no where to catch up down a straight and dive bomb the corner.

I have done the AI learning process it just makes Ai run better times but absolutely no better to race against just wrecks other racers even other AI.

Is there something I can do make them better to race against.

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It's a combination of the track aiw and the ai of that particular car. Some cars tend to cut corners, others tend to understeer. Depends on the specific ai settings of that particular mod.

I can't say I've experienced that kind of behavior with these cars. But which tracks are you seeing it at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bhendrik

bhendrik Registered

ai behavior in rfactor2 is great, but it mainly depends on the track you're racing on (aiw files). Which track?? I ran a race at Fuji (1.04) with different classes including the flat 6, no problem at all with 105% strenght and aggression on 65%.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

No problems with Flat6 here either....
    They react to some extend to your driving. Maybe you are slow in particular corner and they try to pass therefor?

5. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Track is sau paulo

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

How many combos ( all cars all layouts ) would there be including all ISI and 3rd party content ?

1,000's ? 10,000's ? ;)

ISI content alone must be well over 1,000 combos ? .......get back to us when you have tested at very least 10% of these.

If the entire 10% of random ISI combos were bad you would have a leg to stand on.

:)

7. peevee

peevee Registered

I must say I have no problem with rF2 AI. Sure they can be pushy and aggro, also love to block - to me in Flat6 they are almost exactly like Porsche Cup drivers in terms of attitude - love them! Better than humans most of the time!

8. hak

hak Registered

Agree with peevee......I've been venturing online the last couple of weeks only to find the same behaviors that have been going on for years. AI are MUCH better to race against than real people. Try setting AI aggression to 12% and adjust strength to be slower than your best lap time. In a race it will probably be very easy to pass them but......try staying with them to learn how they race. I find it is very easy to go side by side with them even through corners. Once a their behaviors have been learned then start upping the strength.

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

The AI`s pathes of Sao Paulo are not very good, they really need some rework, especially the turns...

//Edit: zero aggression isn`t a good idea, i would advise to test with 20%-25%

10. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

I do agree the flat 6's are a little harder to race against the ai. With usual tintops you can rub paint without issues. However, with the Porsche's unbalanced design any rubbing tends to result in one or other car spinning out and the ai's tendency to change line in the braking zone (which I have always read is a complete no no) nudges are inevitable. Unless you have the ai aggression very low (less than about 60%) when I find they are too easy and give up as soon as you are wheel to wheel with them. All that said, as most other responders have said, The ai are generally very good in rF2 on tracks where a good aiw exists once you learn to take there line through corners or at least expect them to take the lines they take.

11. mmaruda

mmaruda Registered

Doesn't the AI get better over time? I think I have read somewhere a long time ago, that in some cases you need to let them drive on the track for some time with time acceleration to get a good experience? Is that true? I know they used to be impossibly fast in the Sparks at some tracks.

12. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

The problem with most rF2 AI is they have no concept of patience. "I will pass you, RIGHT NOW, or die trying!" Also, they tend to have more braking power when above 100%, which is not right. driver skill has nothing to do with brake power...

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

More on the aggression slider, up it to 20%

14. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Ok thanks for the input will give the tips a try

15. FauxPo

FauxPo Registered

If at 100% aggression, they divebombed, changed lane in the braking zone, swerved in front of you to impede progress, then that would make some sense...."today, I feel like having a race with some cheating, suicidal, psychopaths.". But they still do all this stuff at 5%.

Wish this could be improved.

Btw, Tim, your Avatar cracks me up everytime I see it. LOL

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

That just sounds like a very odd and very car specific issue. I've never noticed it though, even running the flat6 on 25 aggression works superbly for me.

Also the ai generally doesn't have a tendency to dive bomb, unless they're running with crazy high aggression settings. Very often, the perception of them dive bombing is in reality just the player braking way too early. I've been guilty of that myself tons of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

+1

18. unknwn

unknwn Registered

I have a question regarding AI braking.
    Is it possible to adjust AI so they would brake smoother? Maybe "add" ABS for AI braking or reduce maximum braking force?
    Currently AI in open wheelers like to lock tires when braking quite a lot as they use very fast and strong impulses for inputs. 10+ cars driving in a train that all consistently lock tires for very short periods looks a bit disturbing/unprofessional and also creates excessive smoke :D

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

It would be really helpfull, if we could get an actual full list, wich AI values (HDV) are allready in use. I have a feeling, that there are a lot of mod`s around, wich are using some outdated parameter and missing actual AI parameter, too...

20. FauxPo

FauxPo Registered

I know what you mean, and it took a while to get my braking distances competitive with theirs. But it's not that. If i'm the same speed as the AI over a lap then they shouldn't be braking significantly later than me. But yes they do tend to a bit because of their physics.

But that's actually irrelevant because a divebomb is still a divebomb. if the car behind doesn't have an overlap before the car infront turns in, then it's a divebomb and will always produce a collision unless the car outside gives up the corner. Which is why it's cheating. It's saying: "let me overtake you or I'll take you out". And particularly dangerous in open wheelers to the driver outside in RL. The only time it's legitimate is if there's a big difference in speed through the corners, which there isn't (mostly) between me and the AI I'm racing with. I start at the back and work my way up - because I'm *slightly* smarter than they are. :) And then after getting infront, they take me out. So you have to go through ever corner not on the racing line if they're in reach at all. Which is a miserable way of driving imo. I suppose I could set the difficulty lower so they're slower than me and go through every corner on a defensive line, but then it'd be even easier to overtake them.

I've seen a zillion incidents in iRacing and I know what their rules are and what the consensus is amongst most drivers. And what I'm seeing here is divebombing.

I guess you can get used to what they do. But I don't think it's making good habits.