AI Difficulty?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by me you, Jan 20, 2018.

1. me you

me you Registered

OK- so been racing Silverstone GP 1975- (the shorter track) I believe, with AI set at 70%- do pretty well- with lap times hovering around 1:14 pretty consistently (Which from what I understand is pretty good for this track? Correct me if I'm wrong? [I'm running the formula 1 car asr 2017 which has really good traction and is quick])-

When i finish I'm usually about 15-20 seconds ahead of #2 car- So i decided to try upping the AI strength to 74% figuring that should put me about even with AI, maybe a little better- But NOPE- all of a sudden AI are doing laps under 1:14, and at end of race I'm down about 30 seconds from the top car- and there is no way I can gain any more speed- AI are just crushing me at just 74% strength- How in the world are people cranking AI difficulty up to 100% and able to compete if 74% is that strong?

That seems like a pretty drastic increase in strength for just 74%. Is a 1:14 for that track slow or something? (Note, this is the shorter silverstone track- not the longer one)

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If you mean Silverstone National laps should be close to 1:00. Those were the times with McLaren 650s in WFG.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, he's referring to the 1975 layout I believe. Very different.

*And sorry, to answer the question somewhat - it's very mod dependent. You'd have to ask people who have used the same mod to find out how they find the balance. Sounds like the AI speed might be a bit off, that's a quick track so if anything should be easier to balance for 100%.

me you and SPASKIS like this.
  4. me you

me you Registered

Yes, the 1975 one- The GP version as opposed to the GT version (which i think includes the national and international setup fro the track)- I'll have to try the national one tomorrow- to see how far off from 1:00 minute i am- maybe it's just me- maybe I'm too slow to compete wit the AI at 74%- I dunno- I do pretty well on the Matsusuka track, getting around 1:49- 1:55 which isn't too bad- (watching racers online, they are getting about 1:40- 1:45 or so for that map)- but maybe I'm just way slow on the Silverstone track-

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Just out of interest: is this track workshop-content?

6. me you

me you Registered

Yes, I have only installed one non workshop track- nordlesheif or something like that

7. me you

me you Registered

I did the national and international tracks today- running about 55 for national (best lap was 51.8) and for the international track was .59 with a .58 as best lap. Again, using the ASR 2017 car. I think the GP track is just a hair longer- but I tried AI on all the maps and it's about the same, at 70% they are slower, 71% or so they are almost even- 74% or so and they are smoking my lap times- I can't imagine trying it at 100/% if I'm that much slower at 74% and doing the lap times that I am

8. me you

me you Registered

something definitely isn't right with AI on these tracks at least- set it to 98% and in 2 laps, they are one lap ahead- in 5 laps they are 2 laps ahead- they must be smashing all world records to be doing this- my laps are pretty consistent at around 59 seconds- they must be doing the laps at what? 20 seconds? Less? That's unpossible

9. bwana

bwana Registered

I’d say it’s the mod . Try using another , say the newly updated FISI and test again

10. me you

me you Registered

I dunno- just tried road alanta @ 78% AI- again- they are just smokin my times- (which are around 1:40- i know some can do the map around 1:20 or so- but still i shouldn't be lapped at just 3-4 laps in I would think? I'll have to try more tracks tonight to see fi they are all liek that or not-- so far 4 tracks are (the 3 silverstone ones, and the road atlanta one)

11. bwana

bwana Registered

Same ASR mod ? Then it points to a mod issue , most can keep pace with Ai set between 95% and 100+

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  12. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Road Atlanta I have to run about 80 something percent with v8 Supercars because the AI is so bloody quick up the straight and over the hill.

It's all mod dependant.

13. me you

me you Registered

Yes Bwana same asr mod- I will try another car in a few minutes- hopefully it's just the mod- I would ike to run the AI a little more difficult, but as it stands, at 74% it's too difficult for some reason

14. me you

me you Registered

Thanks Amillward= I'll keep trying different tracks and cars-

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

'some' - do you mean AI or real people? If you've done more than half a dozen laps and aren't falling off every lap you shouldn't be 20s behind any level of AI, in a mod with decent AI. If you're that far behind real people in the same car then you'd have to still be in the falling off phase.

If the AI is 20s a lap faster, then getting lapped after 4 laps or so wouldn't be too surprising, since the field will spread out a bit and force you further behind than raw pace would suggest. But that sort of time gap shouldn't happen with AI on 120%, let alone < 100%.

*And that Silverstone circa 1975 layout, with 6-8 corners definitely shouldn't produce wildly inaccurate times, if the AI is decent. Bear in mind some mods are built more for league use and AI is overlooked.

16. me you

me you Registered

yes real folks- I play against AUI only right now till I learn the racing better- but I mentioned some people real people can do laps at the mentioned times- My time isn't that far off from theirs- so I don't know why I'd have such a hard time against the AI at 74% roughly

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Default system works better with some combinations than with others. That's clear.

It should be noted that when the AIW of a track is created only one of the existing cars is used.

I understand that this is a key point. I would expect that some cars are preferable in terms of producing more universal fast paths. Maybe here someone could post his experience regarding this. For example I would expect that using AC Cobra to create AIW would yield a bad result.

Considering the above studio397 should provide the best of their open cars in dev mod. IMO Skip Barber is not the right car either to produce AIW fast path. Track modders not necessarily are aliens that can drive difficult cars. Hence they put a different vehicle into dev mode. This destroys standardisation. Could Studio397 @Tuttle say which car is typically used by Studio397 to create fast path? Could that car be the one included in dev mode?

On the other hand I would expect that the track learning utility is improved and made default. There are actually 3 different leaning methods. Let's analyse their results and select the best or create a new definitive one dismissing the rest to avoid actual confusion of which one to select. Make it standard so that AI use practice session to learn the track and adapt their driving considering that a different car was used to define AIW.

This is the closest to what really happens when a driver faces a known track with a different car. You know the track but you need to adapt your braking and throttling points and the driveline of course.

18. me you

me you Registered

I know the track pretty well- the AI gets me on 2 of the six corners- I am faster through the other 4, by a pretty good amount- but as soon as I put the AI up to 74%- forget about it- The AI are untouchable- (But I'm still faster in 4 of the corners)- their straight speeds are faster, their slight corner speeds are faster- and the 2 corners they are faster in, they really smoke me bad on- I guess my point is that I would expect this for say 85%-90% AI strength, but it seems a little weird that 74% I can't touch their speeds- despite the fact that I'm running at or near record track speeds- looking up that track, 1:14 is near record speeds- and I'm doing those laps consistently, sometimes getting 1:16 but mostly 1:15 and 1:14's. The AI must be getting very low 1:00's or even under to be winning by the amounts they are- Those speeds are unrealistic for this track I believe? (Silverstone GP)

19. gabrielof

gabrielof Registered

~1:20 at Road Atlanta with GT3 cars, right?
    If you're using a F1 mod it should be way faster.

20. AMillward

AMillward Registered

~1:20 in a V8, yes. Never got that quick in a GT.