AI can't handle Lime Rock on the Tatuus MSV?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by likes_simracing, Jul 25, 2019.

1. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

I am an ML enthusiast, so I like observing game AI. The AIs in rFactor2 are not bad at all, and they tend to race cleanly, give you space, as long as you also give them their car width. However, there are parts of Lime Rock that it can't handle well. Check out the video. These are not selectively plucked from random races to highlight a rare event. They are from a few races I did in a row, just to have fun with the AI. I am not AI-fast. But they annihilate themselves. So I get a podium consistently. :)

2. DanielK

DanielK Registered

Running them on 120% is bound to make crazy stuff happen sometimes. You’d be better off setting them to around 105, 106%. If they are too slow, fill your tank up, use hard tyres, slow yourself down a bit somehow, or drive a different track. If you have to run them at 120% difficulty to make it a challenge you’d better pick a different track. The newer official tracks are generally much better in that regard.

likes_simracing likes this.
  3. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

That's a good tip, thank you. I'm new to rfactor2 so still learning my way around trying different things. I got sucked into having fun watching the AI do crazy things each time I go over that hill. Same things happen with the USF2000 and USF-17, but slightly different errors and parts of the track.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The GT3 cars tend to have issues with that top of the hill corner as well. When somebody creates the AI paths, they use a certain car with a certain level of downforce and horsepower. Then when you get cars that don't fit the same parameters, they often have difficulty managing tricky sections. The GT3 cars would often drop an outside wheel off while navigating the right hander. This often leads to an over-correction and the car spins to the interior of the track, with usually disastrous consequences.
    A plan for the future, would be to create swappable AIW files that can eliminate car specific issues. (not just for Lime Rock, but every track)

5. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

I think you can create different driving lines per car if I remember correctly, I just think it would be a lot of work to do other cars. Also if you haven't tried the AIW before or would like to, this document helps greatly. https://www.studio-397.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/rF2_AIW_Creation_Tutorial.pdf

likes_simracing and davehenrie like this.
  6. Emery

Emery Registered

1) Read up on training AI. Use type 2, with WIS (wisdom) files.
    2) Most races at Lime Rock use the chicane these days because of crashes cresting the hill.