AI behavior during Safety Car phase

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Iron Wolf, Jan 23, 2017.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Hi,
    In some mods, for example F1RFT 2013 (and other), AI acts confusingly during last two laps of SC phase. Cars start to pass each other, and I saw them even pass SC itself.

Can someone clarify, if this a bug, or explain what's going on? I am always required to follow certain car, but looks like AI breaks that rule. Note, I do not have Stock Car rules plugin enabled.

Thanks!

rubennaatje and RoboCAT10 like this.
  2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Which tracks is this happening on?

3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

On unofficial RaceRfactor tracks, so it is track/mod issue? Just want to make sure - stock car rules only apply if plugin is enabled?

I was thinking maybe there's some rule I don't understand in certain vehicles (lapped?) allowed to pass SC. But what happens is that I am losing positions, so it is not lapped cars.

4. Christopher Elliott

You'll still get a full course yellow if there's a severe incident, but it shoudn't be using Stock car rules for sorting and penalties.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

BTW, @Christopher Elliott , I have an update.
    I've noticed this happens with ISI Silverstone and ISI Marussia. So, this is stock content, and probably an issue with how AI acts under FCY, and not with 3rd party track nor vehicle.

Presence of Safety Car and Full Course Yellow in rFactor 2 is one of the differentiating factors this game has, and I hope to see it improved so that it can shine and be a standard to beat :) Interestingly I haven't seen this behavior in earlier titles.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  6. AceLain

AceLain Registered

wierd... I tried FCY with IA at Lime rock park and it worked without any problem.
    I was with GT2 corvette when I tried

7. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Interesting. I was thinking about it and it occurred to me - maybe it has to do with how large grid is? Recently I've been running large grids, how many AIs you had in your GT2 grid?
    Also, is there anything in rFm file that can affect this? Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  8. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Good question... probably around 20
    And I was using the nascar rfm

9. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I've learned one more detail about this issue: AI starts to race under FCY when FCY reaches "Pits open to lead lap vehicles" phase. This happens with all content, any track, including stock content.

My player.json is fresh, so don't know what else can be wrong on my side? Hmmmm.... maybe the fact that I use 3rd party safety car? But first laps of FCY go smooth and well, as intended.

I know you guys are busy with rolling out DX11, but I hope this will get looked at sometime :) If there's anything I can provide to help figure it out, let me know.

Edit: I just recalled it happens on install with no custom SC and very little mods as well.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    RoboCAT10 likes this.
  10. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Does this behavior have anything to do with "Adjust Frozen Order" setting? It is really strange, AI drives fine for the most of FCY, but last ~2 laps goes crazy, passing SC and each other. This worked fine in rF1/GTR2, any ideas?

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I have exactly the same problems with the SC...

Stock car rules are disabled on my end.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  12. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Finally, someone confirms issue, thank you Juergen, now I know I am not crazy :) On my dev box I have almost squeaky clean rF2, and this repros with official content/official tracks. Hopefully this gets looked at in future :) Cheers.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  13. patrickkluiters

patrickkluiters Registered

I have the same with Silverstone and the URD egt mod. AI is acting weird behind the SC.

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Forgot to mention, it happen for me with stock content and addon mods/tracks.

15. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Thanks for chiming in guys, I am seeing this issue with all content, including official content, so this could be some regression.

Hopefully S397 tracks this as a bug. Flag rules/SC is one of the areas rF2 has upper hand over competition, so would be great to have that area of the game shining :)

Juergen-BY likes this.
  16. formula1996

formula1996 Registered

I also have problem with sc, before the one lap to go message they pass the SC and some AIs crash each others, some go to pass each other but they dont get penalty after green flag.

17. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Per Christopher's request, adding more info:

What happens is during FCY, without Stock Car Rules plugin enabled, towards the end of FCY phase, AI start to race each other, before Green is on. For the most part, AI follows the assigned positions correctly, the problem begins on last or one before last state transition, don't remember exactly. It repros on all the possible content

I am not the only one reporting this. I can capture the replay, but this problem is fully reproducible, and is nr.1 bug in rF2 by me, as it ruins single player races and immersion. I am positive engine is capable of proper FCY, because it works correctly in rF1 and even GTR2. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help with this bug. Thanks a lot for looking into this, sorry for being PITA :)

Edit: my (wild) guess stock car rules plugin related work leaked into the main codebase, so if I was in a shoes of someone investigating this, I'd look at changes done then SCR plugin was worked on.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    RoboCAT10 and Juergen-BY like this.
  18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I agree.

Some changes were introduced to improve stock cars (which few people use) and ruined many things for normal races:
    - the problem mentioned in this thread.
    - AI pitting early thread by RoboCat
    - Impossibility to enter pits to change tires during formation lap. You get placed again in the grid.

All these issued were introduced in a certain build in march if I don't recall wrong. They are ruining offline races and have already ruined me two online races where I would have changed the wet tires used for qualifying in the formation lap.

The reason why the code that was faulty is not reverted to the working one is difficult to understand. It should be quite straightforward.

The priority right now seems to be focused on getting cash, no doubt. Actual customers are not a source of cash so their problems are low priority.

19. Christopher Elliott

Can you please refrain from comments like that, you seem to try and get a in a jab in almost every thread, and you really know better by now.
    We're looking at a variety of issues all the time, priority is based on multiple factors. Thanks for bumping this @The Iron Wolf , we will discuss it next week.

20. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Funny you mention Robocat's issue, it is when I saw that issue acknowledged on Discord, I got inspired to push for this one once again.
    While it is a bit offtopic, interesting thing is that the rain issue seems to be somehow content related. I had perfect wet race with URD T5 Hockenhieim yesterday. Nonetheless, I agree with you it is major issue - nr.2 on my personal list :) Sounds like both are noticed and will be tracked - awesome!

RoboCAT10 and SPASKIS like this.