Advice to buy new race wheel+ pedals

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by muzikant, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

muzikant likes this.
  2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    muzikant likes this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

To get that simplicity wheel up and running ready to race,you could be looking at another £400 on top of that price,there’s no wheel or padle shifters included.

That 7nm wheel is a great option though,most will never use the full power of the higher powered wheels

muzikant likes this.
  4. patchedupdemon

Great great set of pedals,but you can get the same functionality for just over a third of the price with the protosimtech pedals.

Shipping anywhere but the USA will add about another £100-150 to the price though

muzikant likes this.
  5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I think it was the PT1 I was looking at but waiting list, batches, waiting waiting, blah blah blah. Not a good business model in my books.
    Heusinkveld, ordered and in my Australian hands within a week. :cool: Winner winner chicken dinner.

6. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Never been sorry getting the protosimtec 2 years ago zero problems company much more mature now.

ADSTA and patchedupdemon like this.
  7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Ahh, good to hear then whitmore.

8. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

2 months waiting list

9. muzikant

muzikant Registered

thank you for your time and explanation. I can appreciate it!!

10. muzikant

muzikant Registered

Heusinkveld is in my country.. for me is a better deal

patchedupdemon likes this.
  11. muzikant

muzikant Registered

I am going to consider all options. Maybe all too pro. would also like to have something out of the box. no fanatec pedals for me.
    does someone experience with Thrustmaster tc-pc wheel I hear good things too

12. muzikant

muzikant Registered

13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Something to remember, good quality equipment that is built to last holds its value much better than mass produced throwaway plastic toys.

patchedupdemon, muzikant and mesfigas like this.
  14. muzikant

muzikant Registered

Agree but out of the box gear.. will be nice. I hear a lot of problems with updates after updates with fanatec gear

15. patchedupdemon

I agree,but even quality equipment are also toys :)

16. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

What makes the HE pedals expensive here in the USA is the shipping cost but, I purchased a used set of HE-Pro's and added the HE-Ultimate Clutch for more clutch force. These are superb and versatile pedals, very well built with excellent service to boot. I wouldn't hesitate to recommended them over any of the Fanatec's or any other set really. If you want a Hydraulic Brake system, then the HPP Simulation pedals are extremely popular and the craftsmanship makes them a work of art.

For a wheel, one of the OSW SimuCube kit's would be great and some say the new SimuCube firmware combined with a high-resolution encoder is performing close to the Bodnar system; I don't know but, I've used both the AccuForce and OSW SimuCube with a small Mige extensively and now prefer the OSW over the AF due to the new SimuCube FW. Either system can be had for around $1000 without all the bells and whistles and used converted Fanatec wheels can be purchased pretty reasonably. It's hard to beat in terms of the most bang for the buck imo and the initial setup seems more complicated than it really is. Some of the kits are very close to being turn-key.

The AccuForce's strength lies in it's tuning versatility through SimCommander imo. There are some titles that just don't provide very good FFB through the game-settings and having the ability to use telemetry-based FFB can transform any title with decent physics into one with very good FFB. I much prefer SC4-FFB over Dirt Rally / Dirt4 FFB - no contest. Obviously, the AF's 13nm of torque can be a limitation but, I find it's enough in most cases. The OSW's have more punch and can better represent cars with very high downforce better and have the ability to magnify grip-level feel far beyond the average wheel.

Direct-drive wheels are expensive but, all good things are and the amount of enjoyment I get out of them makes them a bargain in the long run. What it does to enhance my Sim-racing experience is hard to describe without sounding like a TV sales commercial but, for anyone sitting on the fence about buying one, I'd say go for it. :)

ekki and muzikant like this.
  17. patchedupdemon

I would say say to anyone wanting to buy a dd wheel,Try one if you can before you shell out all that money,you may find yourself trying to justify and convince yourself the purchase was worth it

I agree with the poster above about the accuforce,that’s the only one I’d buy,because of simcommander,it’s essential for games like iracing where the ffb is poor and lacks tuning options

Just to clarify,I’ve tied an osw,accuforce and bodnor v2 I think it was called,and to me the accuforce was the best because of what I said above.

I’m not saying dd wheels aren’t better than the belt drive wheels,all I’m saying is,some people overplay just how much better they are when it comes to gaining you time on track,and the amount of added immersion.

They are better than gear driven wheels in every area,but not by as much as some would have you believe.

After hearing all the jazz about them on iracing forum,I was left disappointed when I got to try them

But then if you like to geek out on gear and can afford it,then go for it

muzikant likes this.
  18. muzikant

muzikant Registered

Agree... in march I have trying a bodnar.... maybe the ffb is to much o_O for all the things.. Simracing is just a hobby... a good one for sure. How is the compartible with RRE .Ac..Rfactor with dd wheels. A lot of technical stuff settings before you can doing a race... how is the support?

19. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

It can take some time to become attuned to the subtleties and dynamics of the DD-systems. My first hour or so with the AccuForce really wasn't very good. It took time to find the settings that worked for me and to understand what I was feeling through the wheel, when the FFB-signal was clipping and what not to do.

Having long term experience with both wheels has also helped me recognize what works better and why but, it took some time to get past the point where I just wanted to explore what was possible with FFB. It almost became a hobby in itself.

Everyone is different - especially when it comes to FFB preferences so, your mileage may vary but, I strongly believe it can make us better Sim-racer's, certainly through consistency - if nothing else. The fact that it increased immersion for me so much kind of makes it priceless and combined with my current hardware, well, it's just freakin' awesome! :D:)

muzikant likes this.
  20. patchedupdemon

I tired them all at a performance car expo,that also had a huge sim racing section,I’m sure it was the company owners that were displaying their wheels,I used the Bodnor with iracing,the accuforce with rf2 ,and the osw was with rf1 deriviative,I’m sure it was stock car extreme,so I’d just assumed the wheels were all set up correctly

Was an anamzing day,williams f1 and McLaren were there,Williams had about 12 cars from their current f1 to the old f1 cars,got to see bottas and massa

McLaren had their young driver program their,running rfpro on ten systems,I had a race against ten other people with the skippy at Silverstone,I came first lol,but the others were obviously not used to driving with wheels and pedals.