Advice for a beginner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rowly, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Rowly

Rowly Registered

Hello,
    Please be gentle, I’m new here. I hope this post isn’t a meme…
    Could you point me to some beginners guides, it’s all a bit of a minefield.
    FFB, The working of Liveries and Graphics.
    I started Sim racing a couple of years ago. I went with iRacing. I’m used to it and it’s ways. I enjoy painting liveries.
    I downloaded RF2 some time ago but couldn’t get things to work so I abandoned it.
    I tried it again recently and managed to get my 20Nm small Mige wheel and modded TLCM pedals to work.
    I took the Skippy out around Oulton Fosters. The FFB felt very light on the straight. I appreciate the FFB is different but are there things I can do to tweak it in the Sim?
    I have a pretty good PC, not high end at all Z590E; i9 11900k s1200; 32GB DDR4 RAM; RTX 2060 Super.
    The wing mirrors appeared quite low res, should/could I improve this?
    I like “owning” a car by painting it for me and others to see, that way I drive respectfully. In iRacing we use a 3rd party. How do liveries work in RF2.
    Thankyou for taking the time to read this.
    Rowly

2. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Hello and welcome to rF2!!

There's a literally boat load of things to learn and research. I'm still learning things after....3 years is it now?

Some people have been here since the dawn of rF.

Anyway, skins, never done it myself, but see the guide;
    https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/

There is no Trading Paints, which isba massive shame, as it would be an awesome addition.

Rowly likes this.
  3. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

I wanna help you, but you want so many different information at once that it would take to long to compile all the links...

What I recommend you to do, which is the same I did when I started on rF2 in 2015 and it keeps working for me until now is: google: "forum studio397 xxxxx" or "rFactor2 xxxx" where xxx is the info you wanna, probably most of the questions you will find an answer this way.

An alternative option is to enter S397 discord and use "CTRL + F" to find for any info in the entire discord history.

Other alternative is to access the User Guide in the S397 site, but it stills lacking a lot of info there yet.

Ricardo Diz and Rowly like this.
  4. Rowly

Rowly Registered

Thanks guys, I guess, as you said, it’s a bit of a deep dive. I have tried googling stuff (I managed to het my triples working) but I had to go through loads of YT videos to get there.
    I might give the Discord a go thanks.

5. green serpent

green serpent Registered

What wheel are you using? If it's a lower end wheel then removing the deadzone around the centre can be a bit of a nightmare. Honestly going from belt/gear driven to DD is night and day, and you begin to realize that the problems you had with the ffb are often just the hardware limitations rather than the ffb (imo anyway).

A couple things to consider though:

-In rF2 the feeling of the ffb has a lot to do with caster angle. If you want a heavier/tighter feeling ffb than increase the caster angle in the car setup.

- in the ffb settings, increase the 'minimum torque'. This will amplify the weaker ffb signals and might give some more feel of the low end forces (ideally this should be kept fairly low - the better the wheel, the lower it should be).

- In your wheel's software profile, give it some friction or "dampening". This is not really the "purest" solution because it 's not coming from the game, but it can help the wheel have a bit more weight around center.

- Just increase the ffb multiplier. Some cars just generally have light ffb because of less weight over the front tyres, steering geometry or whatever reason. If you increase the ffb but find that the signal is too 'peaky', add some smoothing. Try not to go overboard and have the ffb signal clip though.

Hope this helps.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

green serpent likes this.
  7. If it comes to painting there is the possibility to have
    • alternative skin
    • custom skin by using team car functionality
    • making a skin rfcmp
    The last one is described in the post as mentioned but may cause most problems ... I have done a couple of videos concerning painting, but they are German language (only the very basics I have done in english):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFHp1FDr-TxmThCova3Eb7CiuN2DgjKK3
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFHp1FDr-TxlqRwTF-mWExJuxWcZCd9un

If you would like to have other people see your livery you need to use the team car functionality, I think.

Concerning mirrors: if you have done a default installation and changed anything later on it is as it is ... and I think mirrors depend a bit on the car (mod) your are driving. Also you can press "3" and it will add virtual mirrors on top of the screen (press it once more to see the options).

Most of the guides / documentation around is outdated so you need to figure things out by yourself or you need to ask and search as mentioned ...

Rowly likes this.
  8. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

As suggested, try increasing "Friction" to add general weight to the steering. This can improve the steering in a couple of ways. One is to remove any loose or notchy feeling around center. Another is to replicate the mass and friction inherent in real car steering systems.

"Damping" is most useful to avoid wheel oscillation and control an overly responsive wheel. This setting tends to be even more impactful in rF2 for taming harsh wheel movements. Combined with "Friction", these settings are key to finding a natural and satisfying ffb experience in rF2.

I don't think "Slew Rate" is available for SimuCube1 systems but, it is very useful for limiting wheel speed, especially during off-track terrain excursions or crash scenarios.

rF2 ffb-smoothing is another setting you can try to remove some of the harsh or notchy effects but, I prefer to rely mostly on the wheel driver settings and have a few different profiles available, depending on the car I'm driving.

9. Bernat

Bernat Registered

My advice would be: you can change a lot of things but that doesn't mean you should. Refrain from doing everything you're told to. Settings not available in the UI aren't officially supported and can break between updates or for some mods.

Try something other than the Skippy. Unlike other sims, rF2 has different level of forces depending on the car. Some have more weight in the wheel, some less. You can customize it with the ffb multiplier, but isn't it better when every car feels different?

The rearview mirrors can have a big impact on the performance. I don't know if there's a way to increase the detail. The distance clipping can be changed though. But you need to edit configuration files and some track mods can set their own clipping range.

10. Rowly

Rowly Registered

Thanks Guys.
    I ended up just raising the car specific force to 120% and that felt much better. I’ll have a look at my wheel driver software and check for clipping.
    Coming from iRacing I’ve heard a lot about the Ffb, and whilst it’s different, it’s easy to understand what’s happening to the car. There’s a lot made of the feels but I have to say I love the Brrr on kerbs. I run LFE but kerbs through the wheel do feel right(?)

11. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

You can use TinyPedal to see the clipping bar info in real time, search for it in this forum.

12. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

The Tatuus cars are a nice beginner car too. Good handling and a very natural feeling ffb (I have a 20nm mige too. Most cars for me I need to use 50% car specific multiplier).
    I was using a bit of friction or recentering force but it created an issue when making and sharing team setups. Mine were too oversteery for other people due to the friction.
    Michael Hoyer has done some good guide videos on the game management.