Added second GTX780 in SLI and performance went to crap

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by fiveohmike, Apr 3, 2014.

1. fiveohmike

fiveohmike Registered

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a second GTX780 ACX for my system. I installed it and all is well with everything except rFactor2. The performance went to less than 30FPS.

For my settings I have everything maxed.

I am running Triple screen, multiview with HDR, FXAA, motion blur ect.

I have done some searching and there seems to be issues with SLI, but I am not sure where to start.

The one thing I have tried so far that seemed to help somewhat was disabling multiview, but then the FOV gets out of whack.

Any help would be appreciated. I do not have any issue in iRacing or Asetto Corsa, but I miss my rFactor 2 :(

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

try turning down your resolution ( 900x4400 -ish ) & some graphical details, also turn one of your gpu's off so your running single gpu, reduce FOV when switiching off multiview to compensate
    keep AA to a min ( 1 or 2 multisample )

good luck

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If you have the RAM, run rF2 on a single card right now. It's the only answer I have... Disable SLI.

4. fiveohmike

fiveohmike Registered

Is this really the only option?!?!?!

I have to disable 1 card, move a monitor cable back to the first card to play Rfactor two across three screens, and then when I want to play anything else I have to undo that whole mess???????? i paid 60 bucks for that kind of crap?

5. fiveohmike

fiveohmike Registered

How can iRacing have this right, and Asetto Corsa, which isnt even released yet have this issue fixed?

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yap! Seems so!
    You could have avoid this by reading the forum before you make such a decision!
    Blessed are these who can read...

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

There is a bug in RFactor 2 that is still not fixed from RFactor 1 (and sims based on it, for eg. Game Stock Car, etc.). That bug is that in triple screen mode when you enable "multiview" the multi-GPU scaling pretty much breaks. You can see this for yourself as the minute you disable multiview but keep triple screens you get some decent multi-GPU scaling, in fact you get good multi-GPU scaling in triple-screen mode in even older ISI engine based sims like GT Legends. It's only when you enable "multiview" that things seems to mess up the most when it comes to multi-GPU performance.

8. 88mphTim

Meh, I wouldn't give someone a hard time for updating their system.

In any case, how do other sims have it working? Well, perhaps it was a focal point for their development. While we focussed on physics they might have been focussing on graphics. While we worked on the tire model, changing tracks, etc, maybe they were working on graphics. Most of our gfx work has been since build 342 really, and is not yet where we want it.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

multi gpu was always a pain for me, even the titles that bothered to support it ( usually mainstream titles )
    the performance was worse with 2 gpu's ( higher fps but less fluidity ), if I had a software house I wouldn't bother supporting multi gpu setups

will never go back to a multi gpu setup

in rf2 don't bother with multiview ( use 3 screens with muliview option unticked ) tome down resolution & some details
    no AA or minimum AA

you have to tinker with rf2 settings a lot to get decent performance

10. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

This is nonsense, guys. Our multiGPU performance is as good, or better, than anyone and has been for a while. I have tested it extensively and consistently get 90% GPU util on both GPUs, AMD and nVidia. On my test systems, AC multiGPU does not work worth a spit. pCars is OK, iRacing works very well. Perhaps you need to add some SLI bits with inspector, although I thought the current profile handled this fine. So, do not generalize your specific HW problem to rF2 overall, because it's just not the case.

11. datanode

datanode Registered

Last time I tried multi gpu I had two brand new 7800gtx's and it was expensive back then. The time I tried it before that I had two voodoo2's in sli.

Each time I give it at least 10 years as it seemed on each occasion to not work. I now give up. I have spent so much on the setups irrespective of how long ago.

This time I will not bother without concrete evidence that it is better. But even then, I probably won't bother :-( sad

My advice, if it is a new card under 14 days (or whatever it is) return it under distance selling act and upgrade the one gpu you have using evga's upgrade plan to the next gpu that is out or basically a single gpu with the most ram. I think there are more options just round the corner?

I believe you mentioned a 780 acx, just send that one back and the original exchange for a new card and use the additional money from the refund or just wait for the next gen and see where that is.

I say this because you have a 780 already, a ti is a possibility but ideally a new 6gb or 8gb card on 7 series which is either out or due shortly and even then followed by an 8 series?

Yes an ever running upgrade game but what you need is more ram on gpu for multi screens. I little more processing power shouldn't hurt from a ti, but still these are limited on ram till the new versions are released.

Act fast and get what you want ;) act fast on refund and bide your time on an upgrade.

12. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

hmm, "Perhaps you need to add some SLI bits with inspector" and how did you think that normal users can find information what SLI bits to use.

I am using 0x02402003 - AFR-SFR "SLI_PREDEFINED_MODE_FORCE_AFR2" setting in the SLI section of the rfactor2 profile using Nvidia Inspector, this seems to give me slightly higher frame rates

0x02402004 - Single GPU
    0x02402001 - 2 Way SLI AFR (Alternate Frame Rendering)
    0x02402002 -SFR ( 2 cards)
    0x02402003 - AFR-SFR
    0x02402006 - 3 Way SLI AFR
    0x02402005 - 4 Way SLI AFR
    0x02430000 - AFR2

:confused:

13. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

Hi Joe,

Whilst I think comments you responded too regarding SLI validity are over the top(I have had SLI for years and had little to no issues ever), the multi-gpu performance in rF2 is NOT fine, for me at least.

For clarification, I am well versed on nVidia Inspector and have multiple titles I play with no trouble using SLI.

Since build 494 on SLI has been broken for me and certainly a lot of others.

When I am in SLI the framerate indicator is good, displaying 120+fps, but it lacks smoothness and randomly stalls and jumps forward to catch up. It does this all the time making it undriveable and hilarious at corners lol. Previous to build 494 it worked beautifully and was as smooth as a baby butt.

I have tried driver and config variations and had no improvement. I haven't said anything till now because I can appreciate what you guys are up against complexity wise and have disabled SLI to play. When I run single card it runs great.

Also, it would be helpful to us all if you would provide the settings your test system is using under SLI and running good, will help solve problems for people potentially.

Myself I remain un-convinced, I have 3 friends running SLI on 6-series and 7-series and they are reporting similar circumstances to mine when they try and run it.

At some point I am sure a new build will sort this out, as I mostly dev on rF2 at the moment I can wait:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  14. fiveohmike

fiveohmike Registered

So you say it works, yet another ISI guy says it doesnt? After searching the forum, there are many people that have problems with SLI, but instead of helping people to alleviate the issue, ISI ****s on a paying customer. I am not sure if thats how you guys like to run Customer Support or whatever, but i guess you already have your money from me.

Practicing great customer support alleviates a lot of people frustrations, but instead of that, you get a smug answer that does not help or alleviate the situation.

Then a second ISI guy (you comes on here) and says basically "You are an idiot, my **** works", without offering any actual help.

If you guys ever need any pointers on running a customer/technical support teams, by all means let me know. I have built 2 from the ground up for successful startup companies here in the silicon valley.

15. fiveohmike

fiveohmike Registered

I totally would, but I already had one single GTX780 AXC Superclocked (EVGA). I added a second one to run multiple games at 5760x1080 at max settings/AA. I have never had an issue with any game. The issue here, is the smug suggestion from ISI that I just disable one, and run 3 monitors off a single card (cable swapping and what not if i want to play normal games) is ridiculous. The community seems more apt to providing support than ISI does.

I love to support smaller companies making non AAA dev games, but you would expect they would have better customer/technical support to try and keep customers. But the money must be raining in if they treat their customers poorly.

16. fiveohmike

fiveohmike Registered

Oh I can read just fine, however basing a decision to upgrade a system off one games poor dev team is out of the question. In this day an age, especially in the racing sim world, its known that people will be driving 3 monitors, and you think people would develop for that aspect. If this is a problem leftover from rFactor1 as some people suggest, that is just ridiculous.

Anyways, all I wanted was some actual customer/tech support, but instead got smug, condescending answers even before I went off on them. A company showing that they actually do care, even if they do not have a fix, is worth its weight in gold.

17. fiveohmike

fiveohmike Registered

And there you have it. You could have said something like:

Fiveohmike,

I hate to say it but its a known issue with SLI. We do not have a fix currently, but some people in the community have had some workarounds for it. You can search for "nVidia inspector" for SLI Bit settings. You also might want to look at thread x, y, and z. We were heavily working physics, on the tire model, changing tracks, etc to bring the best sim we could to market. Most of our gfx work has been since build 342 really, and is not yet where we want it.

I apologize for any problems this is causing but I assure you we are working on the aforementioned issues.

Thanks,

ISI

That would have went a long way...but nope, just smug answers.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  18. 88mphTim

I didn't say anything like what you seem to have taken from this thread though... as it's not exactly the case, that's why you didn't get a reply like you're suggesting would make you feel better. Not going to say something if I don't think it'll help. People who are unable to configure or have issues, may be better off doing what I said. People who can, will be better off doing what Joe said.

Apologies for an apparent "smug" answer, you'll find that I did actually defend you against smug answers given to you by others in the post you quoted. I'm also sorry that you feel getting two responses from staff, on a weekend, both concerned for your issue and both giving options, is such a negative for you. /smug

19. PMC

PMC Registered

Well firstly I don't believe anyone called anyone an idiot ,they are your words . Tim offered you the best solution he could offer , Joe informed you that with the correct system and config the SLI is fine. He also did offer some advice you could choose to ignore .

Some info on your full system might help but I imagine it's fully capable if running 2 780ti's

20. fiveohmike

fiveohmike Registered

Tim,

All I wanted was actual help. It seems to be a known issue, but defaulting to "Disabling SLI" is not help. If there are workarounds, or things that can be done, they should have been said, or how about a sticky post where people can post to? You guys rely a lot on your community to help others, as a small company should. However not even acknowledging a known in issue, doesnt show concern at all. It makes you come off as smug and that you cant be bothered.

I do appreciate the help on a Saturday, my tech teams (and even my dev teams) do the same. I want people to get support from my company the way I would like to get it from a company when I need support.

I want to support ISI and rFactor, but I just need a little help here, weather that be the nVidia inspector route or something else.

So with that said here are my results from my troubleshooting and anyone who can provide some help would be great.

1. For people who are using nVidia inspector, what settings are you having the most success with?

2. When I disable multiview, the FPS gets to a relatively accetable level, but the FOV cannot be adjusted right. Is there any know fix for this?

3. For people who are running multi GPU's, can you post a list of your settings that are working? Maybe we can get a database going of known working settings to help other people out to avoid frustration like I am experiencing. Heck id even keep the thread up to date.

Thanks,