Add the Option join an open race

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Dobbie, May 10, 2015.

1. Dobbie

Dobbie Registered

Hello,

i´m a member of the german "Bockbierbude". Regularly we are driving some longrun-events in rF1 over 12 or 24 hours, but in only 2h stints on two servers who runs parallel in practise/race, so any time someone can join on one server.

Looking forward to rF2 events it is possible to run a whole 24h-race, but only to rejoin after disconnect. This is a first good step especially for big events, but in smaller communities with gentleman-drivers and not big organised events it is good for them not to have to be at the start and instead join later. For example that a community drive from high-noon to midnight and someone only could join at 3pm for personal reason he could driver for 9 hours overall. Otherwise he´s too late and can´t drive.

So it´s the question if it could be possible to insert some advise in the multiplayer.json to choice if it would be accepted to join race after start for new drivers or not?
    Somebody told me that it would be an problem with the skins for those players on the server because of driving with a lot temp-cars without breaking lights etc, but maybe there is an solution to load all allowed skins before starting the race or later coming drivers only could choice skins which were used by the drivers on the server...

Hope my english is good enough that i could explain what´s my question?!?

Best regards,

Dobbie

2. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

There are tools to run such long events in a practice session. I wrote one for rF1 and rF2. It does allow you (if you want) to have drivers show up later, or not drive for hours. It does not solve the issue that people who join when you're in the car show up in a temp car. Temp cars will disappear after you do a driver swap. You can of course disable temp cars, but that has a downside of causing some lag. By the way, temp cars are not just about skins, they're about not having to load the whole 3D model.