Add car procedure

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by a25box, Nov 6, 2018.

1. a25box

a25box Registered

Hate to bother you guys again but...if it is only a .mas file that is downloaded, such as in the case of the Coca Cola 962 of Bob Akin #5 (full red car) on RaceDepartment, how is that installed? I took several guesses but couldn't get it. Thanks.

2. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

The most important thing you need to learn is how to create a virtual ride. If the video I linked didn't help, try finding another one.
    Once you create a virtual ride the game will generate all the folders you need and the .rcd file so more than half the work is done.
    After that, whether it's .dds or .mas files, the procedure is the same.....you just delete the old skins, replace with the new ones and copy the name of the new skin (including the extension) in the rcd file in the skin line.
    Use the Holbert files I gave you as reference or look for others in your Settings folder.

3. a25box

a25box Registered

Thanks... the .dds and .mas files are interchangeable to the process, then.
    OK, thanks very much.

4. a25box

a25box Registered

Well...I did it over and over and struck out trying to follow your Al Holbert example.
    Went to Copenhagen 962, create dir, reload.
    Put in alt_Bob_Akin_Sebring_85.mas file into COPENHAGEN01 next to existing file, went to tuning of that car and only have variants of copenhagen and alt (not alt_Bob_Akin_Sebring_85 of the .mas) . Left it on alt. I also tried it without any alt_.
    Hit create and filled out the info, hit accept.
    It is not listed.
    Went out to its folder and updated the .rcd to show skin=alt_Bob_Akin_Sebring_85.mas.
    Tried even renaming the .rcd (from a number.rcd) to Bob Akin.rcd (like your Holbert). Put the alt_Bob_Akin_Sebring_85.mas into the Bob Akin created folder (trying to copy how you put .dds files into the Al Holbert folder), Noticed your .dds files within Al Holbert do not start with alt. Removed alt, tried again, did not go...changed back. Does not show as variant with .mas file and does not show up on list.
    I've tried to describe...please help if you can. Thanks.
    Could you send me the done Akins folder like you did the Holbert?

5. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Come on man, it's not that hard lol
    I assure you this won't be the last time you'll want to put a skin in the game so you should really learn how to do it. Read my first post once again (the one with the video) and follow it step by step until you get it right.

In the meantime, a work around....download another Porsche skin at RD that has the correct format (folder and rcd file).
    If you can see that one in game, it's all good....then just do what i said earlier starting from here -delete the old skins, replace with the new ones and copy the name of the new skin (including the extension) in the rcd file in the skin line-

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  6. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

@a25box regards the mas, for now just open the mas2.exe through the launcher or through ...rFactor 2\Support\Tools

open the mas file you have, select all the files inside and extract them, so you will have all the dds files instead a mas, which is more or less a zip file. Then follow what fsuarez is suggesting you.

7. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

The mas is not the issue here. Mas or dds is totally indifferent. He's getting it wrong somewhere else in the process. Unpacking it just adds one more step but yeah, if you want to do that, you can too

8. a25box

a25box Registered

I hate to say this...followed both of your suggestions and the Coca Cola red Akin car #5 does not get on the play list.

First, the workaround...followed fsuarez79's instructions and downloaded the Pepsi Porsche 962 from RD. Placed the "Lammers" set of rcd and folder in the MAK folder and it shows up on the list fine. So...I took copies of both the successful Jan Lammers.rcd and its Jan Lammers folder renaming both to Bob Akin. Then I took all guts out of the folder and put in the new .dds files from the extracted Bob_Akin_Sebring_85.mas (Krusti meathod, though I also did it with .mas). Then I opened the Bob Akin.rcd file and edited the guts to point to skin: Bob_Akin_Sebring_85.dds (using the Lammers and Holbert rcd as examples). All perfect as in the original Lammers set that worked. Went to the car list- red Coca Cola car not there on list under Bob Akin or Coca Cola -just not there.

Went the regular route: Picked Copenhaguen 962 in tuning. Hit create dir, hit reload, wait til it comes back ,exit rf2 and go to the folder Copenhagen01 just created in MAK. Put in the 4 Bob Akin .dds. Went into rf2 selected same car Copenhagen tuning and only variant options are copenhagen and alt (nothing starting with Bob) In case, I went back out and renamed all dds files to start alt_. Went back in rf2 still no show in variants. Went back and renamed them all without the alt_ again because neither the Lammers nor the Holbert dds files started with alt_ in their successful folders. Went back to rf2 and picked only variant option which is not copenhaguen (option being the alt). Proceeded to Create, put in all info, accepted, hit back and car not on list. Went back to MAK folder and noticed a new Bob Akin folder and a 9.rcd. Remembering that the previous fsuarez79 Holbert package had the dds files in a folder named Al Holbert instead of Copenhagen01, I further copied the dds files into the new Bob Akin folder. Additionally, I edited the 9.rcd guts to reflect skin: Bob_Akin_Sebring_85.dds. Went to rf2...Coca Cola 962 not there !

I'm thinking the disconnect is that the proper dds skin is not picked up in "variants"

9. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

You were doing just fine but seriously tho, I never said to make a copy and rename anything to Bob Akin, that's where it went wrong. If there's already a mod using that same name it won't show up. Had you simply followed the steps and left it as Jan Lammers it would've worked just fine.

As for the method of creating the virtual driver, it's not the Copenhagen01 folder where you need to put the skin, it's the folder with the name of the driver you chose when you enter the info. You can actually delete the Copenhagen01 folder. In this case again, i think the issue was just the name of the driver. And you don't need to rename anything to alt_
    Anyways, here it is....I renamed it as Bobby Akin.
    Keep practicing with other cars and try to understand the logic behind it, there's not anymore I can do to help. I think you're nearly there.

https://mega.nz/#!2SBSxIoD!hDHuRDZwH-mUkqRoleXsMD1Y1ClJ2hoanj-YFlqPjnw

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  10. a25box

a25box Registered

Thank you fsuarez79 !
    I was really trying to follow the process, not have you do the work for me.
    As we see, I had to make some assumptions comparing things and I wrongly renamed the folder.
    Thanks for your help !