Activation

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Rogenator, May 17, 2014.

1. Rogenator

Rogenator Registered

Hey Kwik I have no clue how to get more activations? I thought getting life time rf2 that I wouldent need to.

Lost in cyberspace Roger

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

3. Ricky

Ricky Registered

Hello, borrow this thread a bit.
    I won a lifetime key in a league and cant activate the key. This message I have had for a while now as you can see, but rFactor2 works just fine though.

NOTICE: Your rFactor2 online subscription EXPIRED on 2014-03-25

Do you have any suggestions?

4. Rogenator

Rogenator Registered

Hi Ricky I had to have the folks at rFactor renew my activations. I also have a life subscription, but they only give you so many. Just email them at rfactor central.

Roger

5. Rogenator

Rogenator Registered

Hi it me again Tosh has a link see his post!! Roger

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

A lifetime key is used to buy lifetime, not to update a standard purchase you obviously had/have.

7. 88mphTim

I know you are sorted now, but it tells you how in the same message it tells you that you're out of them. Did you not get that message in your launcher?

8. 88mphTim

rFactor Central is nothing to do with ISI. :)

9. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Registered

Shame on you for implementing this draconian DRM in your game.

Now I can't play at all. I've already sent the begging letter off, and will no doubt have to wait, what, days to play the game?

If I'd known there was limited installs/activations, I would not have bought the game at all.

Maybe you people will learn one day that this sort of thing only encourages people to attempt to crack the game.

Very angry.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Why are all your activations gone? I've installed and reinstalled rFactor 2 a million times and I think I've only used 1 activation, maybe 2. You shouldn't have to keep reactivating every install/reinstall, you're supposed to save the credentials file.

11. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Registered

I didn't know about that. I didn't see anything in the launcher to tell me about saving any credentials file.

It's not really any of isi's business how many operating systems I have on my computer, or how many times I format and reinstall.

12. MJP

MJP Registered

There's a 'soft limit' of 5 activations before you need to email them. AFAIK you only need to activate if you change the CPU/Hard drive or MAC address. As Spinelli said 'what are you doing that requires you to keep reactivating'?

Saving the credentials file (just your login file) isn't necessary but backing up the .rFactor folder (Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming) which contains your name, login and activation files isn't a bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
  13. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Registered

Well when you install the program, you have to activate to turn the program from a 'demo' into a game where you can install other tracks, don't you?

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

In a word: No
    Sounds like you're downloading the demo and activating every time you reinstall or something.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It is ISI's business when people 'lend' the game to friends who then use it without paying for it. Surely you can understand a system like this (which isn't exactly a hardship; like others I've had rF2 for 2.5 years and I think I've used 2 activations) helps them to actually be paid for their product.

This is obviously important to you. Why did you not make yourself aware of the activation and reactivation process before spending money on the game? The rfactor.net site has two pages pertaining to rF2 you should have looked at before buying it: "Try/Buy rF2" and "Help" which has FAQ including several relating to activation, use on multiple machines, backing up your activation info, etc.

You can't go buying things then complain when it's not what you assumed it would be without actually looking into it. Even consumer law doesn't help you there.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The demo can be used to activate if you want to try before buying. Once you have bought the game though, you should never have to download and activate a demo again.

On the official ISI rF2 website downloads page, there is a link to download 2 different installs - a "lite" install that is just the core game but without any cars or tracks, or a larger install which comes with a few cars and tracks. Download one of these whenever you wish to reinstall :). No DRM issues, no using up activations, no having to email any companies. Just install and play like any other piece of software :) .

I thought you had to backup and then re-use the files/folder
    Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming in order to not use your activations up, but according to MJP, above, you don't even need to (I guess it just goes by your email address and password login info). But like he said, it's still a good idea to back it up just in case - computers being computers and all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  17. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Registered

OK, I see. thanks. It really isn't very clear. I don't understand why they let you turn the demo into the full game, if it can cause issues like this.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

because you only do it Once from Demo to full game, that's why!

19. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Registered

There's no set way of doing it. It's not my fault their game is a convoluted mess.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's not their fault they cant wipe your arse for you :rolleyes: