AccuForce Soft-lock(?)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by RaceNut, Dec 4, 2018.

1. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I use both an AccuForce and OSW wheels (not at the same time though ;))

Thank you (dev's) for providing the OSW preset and soft-lock feature! It's so nice to have working in rF2 however, I've noticed that AccuForce users are unable to utilize it so I have a few questions:
    • Is it possible to use the OSW-preset to modify and create a profile for the AccuForce that will work with soft-lock?
    • Can the relative lines (controller json) just be transferred over to an existing profile for the AccuForce?
    • Or, does there need to be a new AccuForce Preset developed to incorporate the soft-lock feature?
    Thanks in advance for your response. :)
    Dean

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's no reason you can't use it. Don't edit the files in the Controller folder, they're a source only (changes you make can be overwritten next game update). Load whatever profile, save it to your own file for when you make changes, and you'll probably find the lines are in that file for editing. If not, just add them.

RaceNut likes this.
  3. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Thanks Lazza, I'll give that a try and report back with my findings.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I forgot to say the other option is to just edit the Controller.JSON, but since you're (sometimes) using two different controllers that might change each time anyway.

This feature isn't limited to certain supported wheels, which is actually the whole point of it. It just uses the FFB to mimic the steering-limit-stop, avoiding the need for specific wheel driver support to do the same. So any FFB wheel should work with it.

RaceNut likes this.
  5. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Since we are on the subject, can you explain a bit about the correlation between the controller.json and the custom profiles (json). Initially, I thought that the controller.json might be a template or a generic-base file but, it seems it functions as the active working FFB profile; is that correct?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@RaceNut I think that's what it is. I should probably take the 10 mins to test. When you first load up the game there's some sort of base controller.json, I always just assign my controls and make changes to that file as needed. I think when you load a profile (or detect your wheel) that profile will then get copied, roughly, into the controller.json, but I would imagine it's just that the profile is loaded into the game, and then the game outputs the current settings into the controller.json file. In doing so it should write the newly available parameters as part of its file writing process.

So if you're in the habit of loading profiles, either the standard ones or your own, I wouldn't go editing the controller.JSON as you'll lose the changes next time you load a profile. But I'd also avoid changing the profiles that come with the game, as you might/will lose your changes if you verify the game files or the game updates. If you save your own custom profiles and use those you should be fine.

All conjecture on my part.

RaceNut likes this.
  7. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

@Lazza That seems logical to me. Thank you for your response. :)

8. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Controller Jason is simply the last profile loaded when the game was exited. Unless a different profile is selected the next time the game starts the last used profile is what remains active. The individual name that may be used to save a particular profiles is not carried through into the game when loaded it just becomes controller.json.

RaceNut likes this.
  9. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Thank you. :)

10. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Update: I tried to transfer the relevant parameters over to my existing custom AccuForce Profile but, that resulted in rF2 CTD.

I then created a new custom profile by using the OSW-SimuCube Preset as a base and it works. I did have to set the Max-Rotation at 1440 degrees to have the visual-wheel match my AccuForce but, the per-car soft-lock now works as it should.

Thank you @Lazza and @whitmore :)
    Dean

Lazza likes this.
  11. whitmore

whitmore Registered

RaceNut can I ask what did you do with your SC4 profile? Did you just run the game without starting SC4 or do you have a specific SC4 profile you use for RF2.
    I ask because SC4 has the same type of settings that the JSON file is setting up (soft lock, max rotation) and it appears to me that it would be a duplication of process. There is also the base Accuforce settings that are used when SC4 is not used that are separate to the SC4 Profiles.
    My base setting is 540 deg rotation but then I use a different number of degrees for different SC4 RF2 profiles for different cars. From what I understand I would need to change my base set up to max rotation available to make use of the JSON file settings.
    Some OSW settings will not match your Accuforce
    "Steering torque capability":18,
    "Steering torque capability#":"The maximum torque capability of the wheel (in Nm, obviously)",
    Accuforce should be set at MAX 14.5 Nm
    "Steering torque filter":4,
    "Steering torque filter#":"Number of old samples to use to filter torque from vehicle's steering column
    This a lot of filtering for an Accuforce (potential loss of detail)
    "Steering torque minimum":7.45058e-009,
    "Steering torque minimum#":"Minimum torque to apply in either direction to overcome steering wheel's 'FFB deadzone' caused by friction",
    This one really worries me as the default Accuforce value is 0.005
    There is a default Accuforce controller profile that you may be better adjusting than the OSW JSON file.
    But hey if the OSW profile is working for you then hey all good.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Correct, you would set your wheel rotation to a large enough value to cater for all cars, and then let rF2 handle the soft lock as earlier. However, if you're using further enhancements with the wheel settings (to fine tune open wheelers vs GT, for example) you might be better sticking with what you're doing.

Fair point on the various rF2 profile settings that might not suit the wheel being used, well worth checking those.

13. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yeah, I'm aware that there some differences between the presets but, the FFB feels pretty good with just a few minor tweaks. I already changed the Steering-torque parameter.

I do run SC4 with a specific rF2 profile but, the soft-lock did not work prior to setting up the new rF2 json based on the OSW-preset. The filtering could be a possible issue but, the detail feels good and I'm getting some nice under-steer cues when pushing hard. I may try going through the rF2-AccuForce preset and try making some minor changes based on that but, it's far better straight out'da'box than the generic one or some other preset's I've tried in the past.

BTW, I also use an OSW-SimuCube so I have a good idea of how both systems feel in rF2. I'm currently working on fine-tuning FFB-profiles for various titles to release to fellow AF-users that are requesting them. Apparently, I got lucky and made a good impression with one of my profiles for AC. o_O:)

I might try making a new rF2-AccuForce profile to see if anything changes. I thought it used to work at one time but, it definitely didn't recently as I had been using 600 degrees of max-rotation for a while now due to the lack of soft-lock.

Update: I deleted my old AccuForce controller-profile and downloaded the AF Preset again for rF2 (for comparison); I then altered the settings as needed to match the AF-preset, minus the OSW-rotation settings for Soft-lock.
    The most significant difference was the torque-filter being 0 for the AF (actually, it is the same for the OSW). I saved the profile and soft-lock still works fine but, it now requires a lot more FFB-filtering due to the lower Torque-filter setting.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips guys; much appreciated.:)

Dean

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  14. latorre

latorre Registered

Could you put here, configuration for simucube osw? thank you.

15. Scott Vermeyen

Scott Vermeyen Registered

I can't get this to work, and I've tried about everything. Using the AF.

The steering goes crazy as soon as I get ingame, as if the wheel was being rotated all the way to each side over and over. It aIso just doesn't work at other times. Wheel rotation never matches up. 've set the Controller.json as well as created a new profile with the new settings from the OSW base. Really scratching my head here. It's a shame, I would really like to be able to switch cars more easily in VR.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  16. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Hi Scott, the results sound totally off. Have you tried deleting the DD-wheel presets and run Steam File Validation to replace them with new? Then start with a fresh OSW preset, assign controls and save with a unique name. Be sure you only edit that file, not the preset and not the controller.json; (edit only your custom save file).

Scott Vermeyen likes this.
  17. Scott Vermeyen

I have edited the controller.json file as well as my saved profile. I'll try again from scratch, will try to get a clean controller.json file.

Thanks for the help!

18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I think rF2 will save changes to the preset when you exit if you don't specify a name to save it with before exiting the game. Once that happens, it may cause issues so be sure to save with a unique name so can be sure you are editing the correct profile (json). When in doubt, delete / move the preset and download new using validation. I suspect such things have caused issues for more than a few of us. o_O:)

Scott Vermeyen likes this.
  19. Scott Vermeyen

It actually turned out to be Steering Rate needs to be at 1% and Steering Sensitivity at 0%. Hopefully someone finds this if they face the same troubles as me. Time to race! Thanks for the help.