Ability to have player's car use "old" tire model?

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by blakboks, Nov 15, 2013.

1. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Sorry if this is a duplicate "wish" (although, it's actually more of a question); I did a quick search, but didn't notice anything. I'm curious if it'd be possible/plausible to allow mod teams to continue to only use the "old" tire model instead of the new one. From the sounds of it, it seems as thought this is holding back a lot of mod teams from creating rF2 mods. I don't dabble with car modding, myself, so forgive me if any of this seems naive (because it probably is :D ).

I understand that the AI are already using the old tire model (or a modified version of it?). Which, I believe, means that mod teams already need to create the data for, anyway. So, it seems to me like it would be plausible to have a check/switch or something to allow the player to use the same tire model if the new one isn't present or something.

Perhaps, this way, mod teams can prototype their tire models with the old model, and then bring that data into the new tire model (idk...like I said, I haven't really touched car modding at all, and don't know if this would even work); and/or perhaps even release using only old tire models.

Just a thought :D.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just picking up on this (and I appreciate you've admitted you're not sure how it works), the old and new models are coming from different directions so you can't really translate stuff across that way. The rF1 model is more along the lines of defining how a tyre behaves, whereas in rF2 you're defining how it's constructed (which the game then models to work out behaviour). Some of the individual lines sort of translate in concept, but that's about it.

Also, anything that a mod team could glean this way can be done in devmode, because you can switch between the models there :)

3. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

ISI provided so many tires by now allready that covers most of racing series. If modders excuse is about tires at this stage than its really bad excuse and even if some tire is not provided yet, the current ones in some parts can be updated to own needs.