A way to increase replay physics fidelity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by o0thx11380o, Jul 24, 2013.

1. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

So I was looking through the player config file and came across the "Replay Base Fidelity="2" setting. I am wondering if by increasing this number it will improve the look the the car during replays. As it is right now the replay doesn't show all the minute physics that you get while driving the car in real time. Does anyone know about this, or how to increase the fidelity of replays in other ways?

2. pleclair

pleclair Registered

If you go to replay from the main menu, you will see replay fidelity, with it set to medium by default, I believe. Which should be 2 I guess in the plr file.

I haven't seen any difference from setting it to medium or full...

Maybe if I knew where to look, it would help, but I have no idea what it does.

What do you mean that replay doesn't use the same physics? You are implying the replay isn't exactly the same as when you drove the lap?

3. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

I believe that's true. While the car position may be the same through time, I don't think all the dynamics are stored or recalculated resulting in a lowered resolution in replay physics compared to in-game.

4. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

replay doesn't have physics, the replay is a result of scanning the realtime simulation, the scanning process has a limited fidelity and is not lossless

edit: maybe the replay files are using the physics of the engine, I don't know :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
  5. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Pretty much like that. Replay is a saved snapshot of the real time simulation from given time span. The fidelity setting allows user to select how much information from the real time physics is stored in the snapshot. Full fidelity *should* mean that ALL of the information is stored, but that is not the case with rF2. For example suspension does not move like in real time simulation, it is very simplified.

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

What about the replay you have when racing? Either by pressing R to have the 20 seconds (or whatever is set), or going to pit menu and watch it there?

Does it contains full data or is it simplified already?

I'll try to pay close attention to suspension in open wheelers next time I watch a replay!

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Good question, would like to know this also. I believe instant replay has better fidelity than saved replay.

8. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Not sure really, to me it looks same as saved one..

9. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Even in realtime I dont think the graphics represent fully the physics, I dont think any sim, or probably game for that matter does. For example in the up coming sim (that seems like its never going to actually come out by the way)

a guy noted the following:

"fairly sure the bars infront of the fuel tank (under the wheel holding up the steering column) do not bend and twist that much! and the left hander at 0:54 has much more or of a dip and crest to it in real life.. but that might just be the camera angle. other than that it looks pretty accurate.. and fun!"....

The developer then replied back and said...

"You're right about the bars not bending that much. The physics model also doesn't bend as much as this; however the number of elements that are calculated in the model is exponentially larger than what can represent graphically in realtime. Hence there's a tradeoff between what you see and what the physics model is doing, as we can only sample it in a few locations. We'll be covering this in detail during the next developer blog. Keep in mind the footage is Pre-Alpha, and it will improve".

There is only so much that the physics engine outputs into graphical data, even in the realtime graphics, let alone the replay graphics which are even less (and also less in RFactor 2 relative to other sims it seems).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013