a question for CSR wheel owners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ricknau, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I posted this (though edited here) in another thread but it's getting no traffic...

Has anyone tried the CSR non-Elite with rF2? How is it? I'm looking for an alternative for my G27 that doesn't cost $540. Also, is the non-Elite even available? The Fanatec on-line shop says AVAILABLE but when I click "buy it" it is not listed.

And here's another question for CSR and CSR Elite owners...

Can you decsibe how the static, car-at-rest force feels when initially starting to turn the wheel? As has been pointed out before, the G27 gives no initial resistance to turning the wheel. I feel a very definite ramping from zero to max resistance over about 1 or 2 degrees of rotation. (With a very small but definite zero resistance zone.) The same effect happens when making slight pulls back and forth when driving a straight line at speed, except of course the "max" resistance is less. I really have come to despise that behavior.

It's hard to believe my G27 has gone from being truely loved to hated overnight!

Edit: posts 3 - 17 are irrelevant to my question. The topic was taken for a joyride!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

3. Vedster

Vedster Registered

I would advice against any fanatec wheel. They may look good on paper, but quality, and support is worst i have seen around.

I had 2 Porsche GT2 wheels, first arrived faulty, replacement arrived faulty as well, and then Fanatec decided to send me CSR as replacement, guess what, that one arrived faulty as well. If you don't believe me, just check few forums, there are loads of issues, electronics going, bits of wheels falling off and so on.

You have been warned, but choice is yours

4. steve30x

steve30x Registered

Show us links to those forums? So far I have been told by a lot of people that the Fanatec wheels are good and I have seen a small few people with problems. The Logitech G25 was not without its problems too. I've sen people with the wheel stopping working after a week of use and , H-hifter not working and the paddle shifter double shifting.

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

On my third G25. First one developed a problem in the sequential shifter, where even a slight nudge would activate a gear change. Often even the table shaking slightly due to the FFB was enough to shift a gear or two. H-shifter mode worked fine though.

Warranty covered that, and I got a new one. This one developed a problem with its left paddle, and sure enough it double shifted a lot.

Warranty covered that too, and a year after I'd first bought the G25 I got my third one and it's been solid ever since, going on strong for 4 years or so.

I know I'm not the only one who's had problems with Logitech wheels, and with every type of product the people who have gotten faulty ones are more vocal than the ones who get a working product.

6. steve30x

steve30x Registered

Thats my point. Just because some people are having trouble with a product doesnt meant everybody will have problems with them. I have my G25 with five and a half years and I have never had a single problem with it but you've had two G25's go wrong on you. Does that mean you are going to say?

"I would advice against any Logitech G25. They may look good on paper, but quality, and support is worst i have seen around.

I had 2 Logitech G25 wheels, first arrived faulty, replacement arrived faulty as well. If you don't believe me, just check few forums, there are loads of issues, electronics going, bits of wheels falling off and so on.

You have been warned, but choice is yours "

On the Fanatec blog I see a lot of happy customers on there and a only a very small minority who've had trouble. One person had their CSR elite go on fire and another guys GTR2 went up in smoke. Ive seen about 5 people with problems so far. Its almost guaranteed that Vedster is exagerating because his wheel(s) have been troublesome.

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Exactly. Anyone can have mishaps, and ever since I got a fully functioning G25 I've been incessantly happy with it.

It's only as of late that I have felt any need for an upgrade, mainly because it used to be that anything better than a G25 cost an arm and a leg. Now it's only a couple of fingers. I'm very determined to get a CSR-E at some point. Might well be a year away still, but eventually...

8. Vedster

Vedster Registered

why don't you just head to fanatec forums, just google for fanatec forums, then you can go to inside sim racing forums check there as well. Scope of the problems that G25 had and Fanatec has are vastly different. Fanatec is small company, their support is not up to the task, i took many phone calls and e-mails to get things sorted.

As with any product there will be good and bad ones, i am not being dismissive and saying all wheels are bad, but after having 3 bad ones in the row, and then finding how many users have an issue as well, combined with slow support makes Fanatec purchase a bit of a gamble.

As i said, choice is yours, but do your research before you buy.......

Good Luck

9. Vedster

Vedster Registered

Not exgregating what i am saying at all, use google and see what you will find out, but your number of 5 people having problems is exgregating in the other way.

All i am saying, do your research yourself, and decide for yourself, my bad experience can only help you being more careful, but my experience is my experience, and i base my opinion on that, take it or leave it.

Need to remember not to express my opinions/experiences on public forums as it only leads to this kind of result................

10. steve30x

steve30x Registered

I've been visiting the Fanatec forums with three years , Inside Sim Racing with two years , Virtual R for three years , Bsim Racing for six months and other sim forums and websites and I cant see this huge problem you talk about. I have seen a few people with problems but most people dont have any problems with their wheels.

Its like my first experience with Intel socket 775 motherboards. The first 4 motherboards I got were either DOA or died within two weeks through no fault of my own . The fifth Intel socket 775 motherboard worked ok for a year and then stopped working for no reason. I still built a socket 1156 rig a year and a half ago. I could tell everybody to avoid Intel because of my horrible experience to. I see a lot of complaints about Intel parts too but I wont warn people away because there is more people with no problems than there are people with problems.

Sure if I get a bad wheel or something goes wrong I will wait for it to be repaired or replaced and use my G25 while waiting , if I buy a fanatec wheel.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
  11. Vedster

Vedster Registered

12. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

It's the nature of the internet, If you search for any product you will find a forum with faults saying its the worst product ever etc etc.. The people who are happy are much less vocal than the one's who are pissed off.;)

13. Frank Pabst

Frank Pabst Registered

My first 2 (!!!) Fanatec GT3RS-V2 also arrived with broken Wheel Axels, but the 3rd one is fine now.
    About the Fanatec support i can say that they are very friendly and incredibly fast, i sent a mail to support, 1 hour later i get an answer and again 1 hour later i get the confirmation that the new wheel is shipped (2 times!!!). So to know that there is a proper support is even good for the worst-case scenario imho.

I wouldn't advice against fanatec, even with my knowledge about the two DOA wheels. If you get one that is working, it's very good wheel/pedal stuff...

14. steve30x

steve30x Registered

Thank you for that. I gave up answering the other guy because he would try and convince god himself that Fanatec are the worst thing ever invented.

15. Dimahoo

Dimahoo Registered

I think Fanatec have sorted out their inital build quality issues anyway. I run a CSR here and its fine.

16. Vedster

Vedster Registered

O man, you are completely hanging over a facts that you find important to you, but let this other guy explain himself.
    I have described my experience with Fanatec, i am not trying to convince even god himself that fanatec is the worst thing ever, as you have described it.

More than anything i was disappointed with fanatec. On paper wheels are really good, but build quality is or was really bad. If you get a good wheel, it is a best wheel you can get for that money, more expensive than logi G25/27, but better as well.
    When I buy a wheel I want it to last for number of years, I had my G25 since it was launched, and Steve30x i too had faulty G25, but it did fail after one year, but all in all, they are sturdy wheels that are put together solid.

Fanatec wheels just felt much flimsier, you can feel that build quality is not on par with G25, you will know what i mean if you try Fanatec wheel.

I still do say that buying Fanatec wheel is a gamble, ok buying anything is a gamble Steve30x will say now, but i did not have 3 wheels in the row faulty with Logitech.

Would i buy Fanatec wheel again? Probably if i can get proof that their support and quality control has improved.

17. Frank Pabst

Frank Pabst Registered

I can't say something bad about their support, also from what i read in different forums, the most guys made good experience with fanatec support.
    btw. Have you ever tried to contact logitch support? good luck ;)

But in some way, i have to agree with you, it's highly annoying, when you buy a wheel set ~380€ and it arrives broken (multiple times), so it has been to me, but i didn't give up the hope and now i'm happy with my GT3RS and CSPs.
    I don't know about the build quality with the newer wheels (CSR/CSRe), i just hope they manged to decrease the DOA wheels/pedals amount...

nevertheless, mostly i recommend fanatec's over logitech's wheels (i had a g25 myself)!

18. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Ha ha cdnracer! That is the thread where i said it was getting no traffic!

The rest of you guys just hijacked my thread.

Im still asking a csr owner to do the simple exercise and report what he finds. If i still cant get related response you hijackers feel free to drive it into a ditch.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  19. Frank Pabst

Frank Pabst Registered

Sorry for this, i'm quiet now, i promise :)

20. Sabre

Sabre Registered

Ricknau, I'm subscribing to this thread as I've just assembled my CSRE/CSR wheel and pedals and I need Fanatec's settings for rf2. Btw, there's an auto-recentering box in basic windows Fanatec's driver, do you have it ticked?

Thanks,
    Sabre.