A quasi-objective way to judge physics of sim cars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Joe, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

I've been trying to find a polite way of responding, particularly to this bit. But gave up. LOL

2. Joe

Joe Registered

Hi Guys:

Thanks for your time and comments and replies. I think all your comments in some parts do make sense. But I realized now that any further explain or argument will not lead any conclusion on this topic. I think we may just call off here (do not want to get into nasty wording war here). However, I do not regret to post this I think it is interesting topic.

BTW, if you do want to contribute to a meaningful result, you may consider being a humble yourself to watch Chris Harris video and try yourself on rF2. Then cast your vote on those three questions I have (no word, video, pic, and question please, just "Y" or "N"):

In his video as he taught three stages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LpPc8qutCA

Can you carry out these stages on at least three rF2 cars (rear wheel drive with factory default setup)

Stage 1 (Y or N)
    Stage 2 (Y or N)
    Stage 3 (Y or N)

Peace,

3. Led566

Led566 Registered

Track Malaysia NLoop
    Car Corvette GS
    Stage 1 (Y)
    Stage 2 (N)
    Stage 3 (N)

Track Malaysia NLoop
    Car Corvette Z06
    Stage 1 (Y)
    Stage 2 (Y)
    Stage 3 (Y)

Track Malaysia NLoop
    Car Panoz
    Stage 1 (Y)
    Stage 2 (N)
    Stage 3 (N)

Track Malaysia NLoop
    Car Honda NSX R
    Stage 1 (Y)
    Stage 2 (Y)
    Stage 3 (Y)

Track Malaysia NLoop
    Car AC Cobra
    Stage 1 (Y)
    Stage 2 (Y)
    Stage 3 (N)

4. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I'm not sure why factory default setup is a requirement? I wasn't under the impression that rF2 default setup was a true reflection of how the real car is setup. I may be wrong in thinking that, but I don't ever remember reading anywhere that the default setup is a reflection of a real setup (I suppose this is only valid for road cars anyway, as opposed to racing cars).

5. Joe

Joe Registered

Led566, thanks.

others, would you like to contibute this poll? If we have 10 people or so the results would be much meaningfull.

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Meaningfull?? This complete thread is meaningless!!
    And what for? That you can post on AC-forum "I have the proof: AC-physics is more lifelike then rF2´s!", or what?
    You clearly saw with videos posted from other titles (and from houndreds of rF2-vids on youtube) that your "quasi-objective way" means a sh!t!

7. Joe

Joe Registered

again please stay away from this thread. If you have no life else, troll some wherelse. if ur IQ too low to understand, go somewhere else to ****.

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

People lets get back to a normal behaviour.

9. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

With roadcars: Panoz, BMW Z4, corvette z06, Honda NSX, Cobra I was able to do all stages in similar way as chris harris, except with cobra half throttle was my full throttle.

With racecars totally different story.

10. Joe

Joe Registered

OK, thanks:
    Car Corvette Z06
    Stage 1 (Y)
    Stage 2 (Y)
    Stage 3 (Y)

Car Panoz
    Stage 1 (Y)
    Stage 2 (Y)
    Stage 3 (Y)

Car Honda NSX R
    Stage 1 (Y)
    Stage 2 (Y)
    Stage 3 (Y)

Car AC Cobra
    Stage 1 (N)
    Stage 2 (Y)
    Stage 3 (Y)

BMW Z4
    Stage 1 (Y)
    Stage 2 (Y)
    Stage 3 (Y)

Statistics from those two so far:
    Stage 1: Y=9 (90%), N=1 (10%)
    Stage 2: Y=8 (80%), N=2 (20%)
    Stage 3: Y=7 (70%), N =3 (30%)

11. Joe

Joe Registered

Car Corvette Z06
    Stage 1 (Y)
    Stage 2 (Y)
    Stage 3 (N)

Car Panoz
    Stage 1 (Y)
    Stage 2 (Y)
    Stage 3 (N)

Car Honda NSX R
    Stage 1 (Y)
    Stage 2 (Y)
    Stage 3 (N)

Car AC Cobra
    Stage 1 (N)
    Stage 2 (Y)
    Stage 3 (N)

Statistics from those three so far:
    Stage 1: Y=12 (86%), N=2 (14%)
    Stage 2: Y=12 (86%), N=2 (14%)
    Stage 3: Y=7 (50%), N =7 (50%)

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Anyone posting videos of these (partially, or completely) successful attempts? I'd be curious to see how closely they resemble the OP vid.

13. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Did this with the stock 370z, 3 years ago:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYLeIOkWFjg
    Look how quick i had to bring back the wheel, because the rear is so light, that the grip increase very quickly at the end. (also because of the caster setting)

14. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Wow. I can't remember that rf2 looked that creepy about three years ago. xD

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

15. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

The track was an old conversion from rF1.

16. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I find it very hard to go wide open throttle during over steer in any car. I can do it sometimes, but only if I get the slide perfect.

Here's my opinion, and it's not objective or quasi-objective like the OP wants, it's completely anecdotal.

I have some experience with going sideways in real life, having owned a couple of cars with decent power and limited slip diffs, plus I've driven about five or six other powerful rwd cars (Nissan s14, Nissan gtsT, things like that). In dry conditions, and with enough experience, oversteer is pretty easy to control. The front of the car is very planted, and you can feed in loads of power and play with the steering without too much going wrong. The recovery can be a bit tricky to get completely smooth. There's a small margin of error, but by no means are you on a knifes edge.

Sliding around in wet conditions is a different story. You need to be extremely precise with the throttle to prevent a spin, especially if you initiate the slide before the apex of a corner. You also need to be very exact with your steering inputs because the fronts can scrub easily.

And to me, that's what it feels like in rF2 when over steering. It feels like going sideways in real life, but when its raining. You're on a razors edge. It's too easy to loose the back end (need to be very light on the throttle), and it's way too easy to loose the front end. The front end doesn't feel planted.

rF2 feels awesome within the limits, if it felt slightly more like LFS over the limit, I would say it would be almost perfect. Just my thoughts.

17. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Same issues, date is irrelevant.
    The issues haven't changed in the FISI or DW12. Still the same 'ol.
    Just because you have a wheel that's fast enough for the physics of the game's world doesn't mean those physics are behaving properly. High-end wheel stuff doesn't mean anything. The issues have nothing to do with FFB, your wheel, or if you're even using a wheel in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2016
  19. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Took me a while to nail this slide. So much harder than it looks. (Sorry about poor quality, still learning)

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Look how the car wants to keep turning into the corner for like the first half of the slide and look at how it ends (recovers) so oddly not to mention so wobbly (left-to-right) like it's made out of jello. Also, at around the 38 second mark, try giving it full throttle - which will increase the slip angle even more - while applying more steering lock to power out of and straighten out of the slide. I bet that would be much trickier and unnatural than real-life (and sims like Assetto Corsa, Netkar Pro, and Live for Speed). Having said all that, this is one of the best slides I've seen and it still is hardly approaching natural.