A plea to track makers: tarmac runoff and wide kerbs.

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by R Soul, Mar 6, 2017.

1. R Soul

R Soul Registered

I've recently been getting involved in online racing, and have enjoyed it for the most part. One thing that spoils the fun is when drivers blatantly violate track limits. I understand that with real tracks you want to make them as realistic as possible, but for the sake of our enjoyment I'm going to ask you to make a compromise.

If a real track uses tarmac runoff, make your version look like tarmac if you want, but give it a gravel material name. People who cheat will soon learn their lesson, and the racing will be fair. It's all very well using penalties, but the game/track can't deal with every one, and it's not satisfying to gain positions after the race because an admin added a penalty.

Another possible compromise could be to make a 100% real version for racing against people you trust to be fair, and a "league" version for more open events, which has fake gravel, or genuine gravel so people know in advance what to expect.

With wide kerbs a compromise could be to reduce their grip, or make them higher than in reality.

Those measures would instantly ensure fair racing; it'd no longer be possible to gain an advantage by going off track, making the experience much more enjoyable.

2. wil1o

wil1o Registered

Whilst I hear what you are saying and in some ways I agree with the point you are making, I think there is another viewpoint that you have to take into account - we're sim racers. That means that we simulate real world racing as close as possible, and that includes realistic track layouts with tarmac runoff that people use accidentally (or otherwise) when they race, and like in the real world, someone looks at any off track transgressions and decides whether or not a penalty would need to be applied.

If we start to adjust tracks to prevent 'advantages' being taken we lose that aspect of our simulation, the human decision as to what went on when the transgression occurred. There are reasons why people cut corners or run wide, some acceptable and some not. But if we make it black and white then the game penalises the drivers whether the incident was accidental or not.

As long as we make clear the rule of "no more than 2 wheels over the track limits", 99% of people will stick to that and for those that don't, penalties will be applied.

W

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    apocapollo likes this.
  3. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

I agree with the opening posters idea and the point he is getting, however when i build tracks i want them as close to real as possible. The other problem is people get "run off" and or forced wide in racing, often driving through chicanes etc.. having it gravel would lose them even more time than they should have and be further back..

That said, it also placed a thought that i could include a "version" of the track with additional objects "Anticut" version, so for the leagues wishing to have an added discouragement factor, they could use that version which has the additional objects .. For example the chicane on the wharf side at wellington has a ripple strip and is flat, however adding to more speed bumps perpendicular to the track is enough to unsettle a car going full speed and have them understeer toward the wall (likely impact)... i can include these in the "Anticut" version, however in the authentic version it isnt there.. Untitled-1.jpg

4. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Instead of asking for a better anti-cut system, all track makers should make alternative tracks.

I don't buy your idea.

5. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

"Track limts" depends on what's written in your league rules.

As far as anti-cut system: The current system could use some improvements. So leagues don't have to be creative and look for alternatives.

Guimengo likes this.