A Plea To Track Builders

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Skynet, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Skynet

Skynet Registered

More Bumps On Tracks

Hi all

I just wanted to touch on something that i feel is important to improving the RF2 experience. Bumps and dips on the track Surface.

I want you to try something, take a good car MR01/Camaro on to a track like LR park for example and drive it off the track on to the grass, then watch a replay from various exterior angles. Drive it on to the sausage Kerbs at Silverstone and watch a replay.

What you should see is the car start to bounce wobble and move in ultra realistic ways that look almost indistinguishable from RL. I think that most track surfaces that are available at the moment are a bit too flat and lifeless. F1 circuits are some of the smoothest circuits in the world but if you take a close look at F1 cars in RL especially in slow mo there is a lot of bouncing and wobbling of chassis, tires ans suspension, i think this is missing from RF2 due to the lack of or type of bumps on current tracks. Monaco is one of the bumpier tracks in RF2 but i dont think the bumps occur in the right frequency or height to make the cars move as realistically as could be possible.

I think more emphasis on bumps will be beneficial because it will improve the feel through the FFB and the cars will start to move in an ultra realistic way. This will also enable the great tires, suspension, and the new constraints system to be shown off in replays.

This is the one thing Iracing has over RF2... not physics, not tires, not force feedback, not track quality. Just Bumps and replays that show the cars movement well.

I have to mention GSC2012. This sim had great vehicle physics, great FFB and....... better bumps, within the limitations of RF1. I think this contributed to the feel and look of the sim. I remember reading a post somewhere that talked about the limitations RF1 had in the track Topology department and how RF2 improved this area (correct me if im wrong). So my wish is that future RF2 tracks have better bumps and if necessary ISI provide tools to track builders that perhaps enable them to add and adjust bumps on the track surface easily and with great control.

Edit: For the record, i don't really care about laser scanning, i know there are some talented track makers out there that can produce amazing tracks without laser scanning.

If you think this is good, imagine how good RF2 would be with better bumps and dips...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
  2. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I absolutely agree, and it really doesn't take much work to add slight undulation, dips, and bumps to a tracks surface. With rF2's new real road requiring more resolution there are more than enough spans to just go in artistically and slightly make the surface more real. Given enough effort a track builder can art direct the way a car drives on the track and in essence make the entire experience more interesting. Adding these details in a way that makes the driving experience more realistic and tricky would add a level to rf2 only seen in laser scanned tracks.