A new simracing challenge craze !!1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mantasisg, Aug 24, 2019.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Airfield sound like a boring place for #nobrakeschallenge :D

2. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

but, is the handbrake allowed?

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

So no Silverstone, Top Gear, Croft, Snetterton or Thruxton then? :p

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

No, obviously it is just different system of brakes. You can't use it. The only braking is: engine braking, tire rolling resistance, aerodynamic drag, scrubbing of tires during understeer or oversteer (I guess more likely understeer in this challenge :D, oversteer is for evasive actions). You can also try swerving left to right technique by which you also scrub off speed into the slip angles and by increasing travel distance, but it may unset you from the proper turn in.

No just no parking lots, an oval is bascially a parking lot too, with heavy cambers on its ends, and runway at the airfield is also bascally a big parking lot just with a bit more serious engineering going on underneath it :D

The airfield based circuits that you mentioned are awesome choices actually.

5. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

"Then try to do best possible laptime without a single touch of a brake pedal."
    'obviously'

6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Go and do it with handbrake, have fun. Be proud about yourself.

7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Use the 2019 Williams. Not fast enough to need them.

mantasisg likes this.
  8. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

These kind of challenges don't make me proud about anything :p Just thought it would be fun to try out sometime in between serious races. Juts thought i'd ask because you only stated the use of the brake pedal. But yea, your loss.

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

How it is my loss ?

Remco Majoor likes this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just remembered something I tried years ago - assign your steering backwards. Considered a fun race in the league with everyone doing the same, but, well, obviously easy to cheat that one.

*And on a related note, when I was making and trying the headtilt plugin I discovered you could end up with an upside down view. Cue a lap or two driving like that, as well.

11. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Yesterday I ended up upside down in LFS ( I use VR) and it already was weird. Let alone if you did that while actually driving! XD I'd throw up

12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

The difference about no brakes challenge, is that it gives you useful skill - to drive fast in case your brakes fails. So this challenge is very practical actually.

Can think of way more extreme situations which it is possible to get into while racing, and to make it a challenge with a purpose of practicing for that. Slicks in the rain ? Saving fuel ?

Interestingly I just thought that no brakes challenge eventually could possibly mean saving fuel too, because of amount of coasting.