A little praise for the FFB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ROON, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

It's a huge improvement over rf1 I could never catch a slide or predict it at all unless I spent days on setting up my wheel real feel ink settings the mod and the car setup. In rf2 I plugged in my wheel and haven't touched it, it's friggen great feel so connected It's great. I know how to solve the vibration problem too...stay on the track! :p

2. hoover

hoover Registered

To me, rF2 FFB is the best I've ever experienced in any sim. Sure the g25 rattles a bit during off-course excursions, but I gladly put up with that for the very natural feel the ffb provides.

Cheers, Uwe

3. theother5

theother5 Registered

Glad to see I'm not alone .... I have no issues with it at all and actually [a little tuning aside], find it great overall.

Setup Vs out of the box is always a grey area.

4. Ian Mills

Ian Mills Registered

5. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

Ok it looks like we cannot agree.

Therefore, the best way forward is AJK's suggestion that ISI provide FFB adjustment.

This adjustment facility should be another tab/button on the controller page that allows adjustment to all the parameters that are contained in the players controller.ini file complete with mouse over hints as to what the settings do.

Real Feel had in car adjustment that would be an even better option.

In short in default mode it stays as it is but if you choose to you can change the all the FFB settings :)

P.S. just seen Ian Mills post and his other comments and his post makes the need for a ISI Forum FFB section more important than ever. We need all constuctive comment about FFB in one place!

(G25 User)
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.ph...nks-to-the-FFB

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  6. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Couldn't agree more. I would love to see saveable FFB and fully working degree rotation settings per car. I get so tired in other sims having to tweak completely different settings for, say, Aussie V8's and then a 60's Mini on every swap. A really clean, usable extra page in the garage with savable profiles for FFB on a per car basis (not driver name, but general car model) would be such a nicer time saver.

Agree with this one, too! And please be as detailed with the explanations as possible per setting.

7. ROON

ROON Registered

8. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

yep

There are many issues affecting how the FFB is for people I found when I set the wheel rotation to something absurdly low like 260-300 in game then that tightened up the car and the FFB making things drivable.

The open seat modern car is god awful for FFB if not worse than some RF1 cars in terms of lack of conveying grip and aspects of the car movment , However The megan trophy car is fine and so is are the old cars and I find them very intuitive to drive with the FFB at its best when braking into a corner.

The underlying phiscs have definitely improved allot allowing the player to make big mistakes and recover them and also allowing for the player to drive more by feel or not be punished so much as they learn the tracks and car limits.

There should defiantly be a FFB GUI page in game that allows users to edit the INI file that also comes with profiles and by default is set to an acceptable profile for each given wheel when a player selects there wheel.

The FFB in the ossela car in NetKar pro is still better than the current cars in Rf2 interms of convaying what the car is doing and how to respond to it , RF2 defintly emulates the jossels you get in real cars FFB but I worry that consumer FFB wheels struggle to cope with that + convay other important aspects of the car that a sim racer cannot feel through there bum.

So In short the Sim in my opinoin would bonofit massively from these 2 things

1) controler INI in game GUI with profiles for wheels and ablity to save custom profiles

2) In game FFB UI that lets you chose profiles / ajust the FFB properties so you can turn up or down vibrate or other typs of FFB ( I know the FFB is not using "effects" like Rf1 but you should still be able to adjust the FFB feel )

The main thing to me is that the underlying physics are far more forgiving and gradual which is a huge inprovment over RF1 , You still cannot recover certain things that would be easy for a skilled driver in a real car , and there is still a lack of grip/lock in when the back end is doing a slapper (real cars tend to lock in and want to drive forwards)

All in all I think a good mod team will be able to work with the foundations and produce some very enjoyable cars even if they have to do some hacky stuff to make them more realistic.

I think ISI could do with need more art staff and dedicated graphics programmer so they can produce more track content and better graphics at a higher rate.

Also they need someone that's dedicated to the UI and not overworked doing other stuff , even if its using the same back end code the visual design of the UI is sickening and puts a downer on the Sim before you even get into it ( personally id rather they focus on core game things than UI and this is beta but im just sayin :) )

I will even redesign the UI and get it up to standard if they pay me :p even replace all the menu button sounds and work out music licensing for them if they want !

9. naifexx

naifexx Registered

This needs to be introduced in the game in some kind of way!
    It would be an immense step forward in terms of customization and gameplay.

Thanks for posting this.:cool:

10. Tripp

Tripp Registered

Many users have the problem of too much shock off the track during, or contact with the curbs of the track.
    To change this issue to proceed in this way.
    Open file located in this path (the default installation of rfactor2).
    C/documents/rfactor2/userdata/player
    search file controller.ini
    open and search for this line of text

Steering torque filter="0" (default)

is be able to modify this value up to "32"
    try lowering the value of your tests after you feel good

11. Lantern Rouge

Lantern Rouge Registered

I like the ffb too - it is a massive improvement from the original rF. As someone mentioned, there needs to be in-game adjustment for all of the settings. One thing missing in the controller file is the ability to adjust how much of the force is generated from the front/rear tires.

I still think there is not enough indication of when the back of the car is losing grip, but hopefully that can be corrected by either me getting a better feel for it or some other adjustment by ISI.

12. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

I posted my settings in this thread: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ng-noise-rattle-with-your-controller.../page4
    but anyways: here again what i wrote:

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

RF2 already has controller profiles. Don't you see the LOAD and SAVE buttons on the controller screen? Or is that not what you mean?

Members have stuff (even Tim I think) have said that they have staff for each job (someone could link the post here if they remember it?), and do not need coders to take time out to work on the UI and art staff to take some of the coding. Why would you make someone do that?

The UI seems slicker and more to the point, it may not have whizz bang flashiness, but it is smooth and fine right now (it's not the UI that is on test here) but after all, you have access to the tools... so make a UI mod and show us all how it SHOULD be done. The whole point of this game is that everything is customisable so you can change it if you prefer it another way, doesn't mean their way is WRONG.

14. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

"Members have stuff (even Tim I think) have said that they have staff for each job "

Yes they do but the art Team is very small compared to other developers I am not making the argument of moving people around I know they have specific staff for specific things for the vast majorty of development but the quality of the UI visually can only lead me to the conclusion that they don't have a dedicated UI artist and UI coder.

I am unaware of there budgetary , time constants and business remit ISI are not stupid and I'm sure they are doing things to the best of there ability my comments can only be made based on what is apparent to me.

"The UI seems slicker and more to the point, it may not have whizz bang flashiness, "

I am not making an argument for a console style Whizz bang UI quite the opposite for a game that is designed to cater to Sim racers clean functionality is the most important thing. I don't think the overall layout feature set of the current menu is that bad It "works" and could be allot worse and also allot better. But certainly visually it is very pore and lets down RF2 as a product.

I am also mindful that Rf2 is beta and the menu is not exactly the most important aspects of the game when you have bugs to fix or are still implementing content.

I Just bring it up strongly as i know when people see videos of Rf2 on you tube they will dismiss the Sim out of hand due to the interface so it makes sense to have an interface that at least looks Clean Sharp and appealing to help grab those extra sales and make the user Experience nicer for core users.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

ok.

But still... design a UI that would maybe flow better... that is what modding is all about :) Or would you HAVE to get paid to do it?

16. hurricaneman

hurricaneman Registered

I agree! Best FFB up to this date!!! I love it. Using DFGT

17. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I Have sent them an email offering to re-skin the UI , I am self employed as a designer and to do a deserving UI would cost me a significant amount of time. I also believe my work would add real value to there product so it would only be reasonable to be paid for it.

By releasing the beta they have already stolen a good few hours of my productivity :p

18. ROON

ROON Registered

Remember that this is a thread about FFB, not the GUI. ;)

19. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

it's the best ffb i've experienced to date.
    well done ISI.

20. MikeyRud

MikeyRud Registered

Yes. G25 too. All good.
    Praise that it is released. :)

Love everything so far! wow..

The User Interface is soo cool.