A few laps of Monaco onboard

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 23, 2011.

1. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

crossing the arms is also mentioned by Sir Jackie Stewart

2. buzard

buzard Registered

I could use some suggestions. I've never been into video work, so I'm behind the times. I can d/l and view the H264 vodeo via quicktime but I don't have anything that can burn this to a dvd. What program do I need to burn this stuff?

I'd also like to get more simracing HD videos but can't seem to find anything that's not degraded for use on you tube. Any idea where I can find any more high quality videos? Any sim is ok as long as it's good quality.

3. O11

O11 Registered

Hay, Tim. I've got a question. You mentioned you messed up some gear shifts. That sounds interesting as realistic gearshifting is something I'm anticipating a lot. How is the gearshifting simulated in rF2? Is it realistic this time round?

4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Any word on what the FOV was while driving here? It isn't terrible. I'm sure it is in the 50's vertical.

5. shum94

shum94 Registered

What about some Spa teasing :rolleyes:

PS : What's up it's Friday !

6. thuGG

thuGG Registered

To be honest, I would like to see some raing, drying trac etc. mostly!

7. Kalle Lints

Kalle Lints Registered

Another boring day without beta :p

8. Jaageri

Jaageri Registered

Thank you for a great video in my mind!
    Just what the community needs for more waiting before we get news on bbbbbbbbbbbbeta.
    GPL vibes all over my spine, so that's good. Keep up the good work.

9. Arnao

Arnao Registered

I think that Il me semble que it was thanksgiving yesterday :( so no news today :(, even this weekend :mad !!! but not sure ... Maybe :p

10. shum94

shum94 Registered

I think doing the bridge is only French lol

11. Emery

Emery Registered

Monaco never looked better in a racing sim! Now if we can just make the texture and LOD shadow flashing go away.

YouTube did butcher the sound, so it sounds like a muddy exhaust in a tincan, but the original WMV sound is muddy. It sounds more like a signal generator than a breathing race engine. There's no snap and crackle, no liveliness telling you that you're in an open car with an unmuffled exhaust terminating 2 ft behind your head. Maybe F2 really sounded this numb from the driver's seat?

The arms/glove didn't look promising on YouTube. In the WMV they're much better and you can see some texture. Still, I'd only use them in replays rather than as my regular driving view. My own arms suffice quite nicely, thank you :)

12. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

I'm not overthrilled with the textures or the bleach-white sky from most angles and the LOD difference in the mirrors is remarkable. (Are all the crowd vampires?) Still, it's a promising start.

13. NoobRacer

NoobRacer Registered

nice, staring at the 1.8gb mp4 and I can definitely stare at many more similar clips. WIP disclaimer or not, most of that is very impressive, worst I could spot really is "flat" objects, like the crowd and some trees, i.e. not 3D oh and not all objects appear in the mirrors.

BUT the clip has given me hope, all the videos of C.A.R.S. showing impressive detail vs the earlier clips of rFactor2 looking less so are in the past, clearly rFactor2 is on par or has surpassed that level, which is great news as every time I see the HUD of C.A.R.S. it brings back painful flashbacks of Shift2

What I'm most curious about right now is: Tim, what is the experience like playing it for you personally? From what I gather you've got a fair bit of sim racing experience and therefore should have a decent grasp on what is good and what is bad ... of course pretend for the moment you don't work for ISI and give an objective opinion :) tbh I expect praise regardless judging by the in-game footage.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The mirrors do omit some objects, and maybe we'll be able to set them to show everything we can see in the normal view (or maybe not), but it's perfectly normal to reduce the number of objects there - you're not looking in your mirrors to see the crowd/trees, and having them all on actually places quite an additional load on the CPU (try a poor track conversion in rF1 that hasn't turned some objects off in the mirrors and watch your FPS die).

One thing I noticed in both iRacing and F1 2011 is that their mirrors run at a lower framerate - so they look pretty as far as details go, but have an ugly stuttering look to them. I'd much prefer full-speed lower detail, though I guess full detail would be a good option for those with the power to run it.

I agree the car doesn't sound great, especially slowing down, but that may be more a reflection of the current samples being used rather than the underlying audio engine not being able to handle it. On that vid it reminds me of some CM-style games where you don't really feel connected to the engine, rather than most rF1 mods where the sound is filling your ears. Also I saw a comment saying there was too much reverb... I don't know, driving down the hill towards the hairpin section there are plenty of buildings around and I didn't notice much going on - I'd even wonder if reverb was on at all. (the tunnel should produce a cacophony, but it doesn't seem to change anything at all)

Also can't rule out 5.1 sound being on and fraps (or whatever) only capturing the front 2 channels, which might skew it pretty badly.

Would have to assume the building flickering/popping will be sorted before 1.0, and maybe the shadow-edge aliasing can be reduced without taxing the CPU too much. (looks good on freeze-frames, it's just the speckly/warbly thing that happens with motion that ruins it)

Bit disappointed with the marshall posts - that they all look the same, and that really, despite Tim's little hints about them 'watching you', they look to just be on a timed loop - as some previous pics and video suggested. Going up the hill in this vid they're sort of looking in the direction of oncoming cars on one lap, both looking into the distance (in opposite directions) on another, and on yet another they're looking at each other - 2 metres away from the 'racing line' with only a wooden horse in front of them. I'd be inclined to watch for oncoming cars & incidents myself. Maybe that'll change too? :p

Still, overall I'm happy with it. Given more development and the further input of some of the talented (and dedicated) community 'developers' I think this'll keep us going for a long time... just have to wait... lol

15. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

When isi gave you the small finger, you are prick the whole hand, isnĀ“t it? :)

16. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

The guys are working they hands of to bring you the open beta. But imagine, they all got real life. Not everything is isi releated! They do everthing to get it finished that all of you can try it out with the open beta. Keep that in mind, please!

17. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

ok Spacekid we will...

18. Arnao

Arnao Registered

"flickering/popping"

You are all in bad time. It's just flash of camera.....:eek:

Ok I go away :p

19. shum94

shum94 Registered

I hope you wont moan about our enthousiasm about next Alien (GSMF) creation :)

Hope to see you and Fonsecker deliver some nice things for rF2.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Wait, wait, what about my 'speckly/warbly'? :)

I'm sure are proper terms for these things... lol