A few changes, including refund policy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Minibull, I agree on graphics. I'm always amazed when I go and look at a race replay, and have to pinch myself that no, the graphics in the replay aren't actually better than when I'm driving - I just don't notice them when I'm driving. Sure, it doesn't look like other games from recent times, but if I'm not noticing then who cares.

Graphics, whatever. Right now if you drive in rF2 (a racing simulation, in whatever state) until one of your tyres wears to 0%, it will crash to the desktop.

More tracks? Great... more cars? Er... great... graphics tweaks? Um... ok... how about the 'simple' stuff then?

I really hope we're 'surprised' by an update by around June that addresses most of the outstanding stuff. Surprised in a "well a year ago I thought this was only 6 months away but then I thought it could take years so this is kinda nice" way...

2. Seth

Seth Registered

Ok i understand you don't give a sh** at graphics why don't you play Vroum on atari ST, and i'm sure you still listen to tape not MP3, and you'r watching tv black and white caus' you don't give a sh** about graphics the important is that you have movie why watching blu-ray when you can watch a movie on video tape it's the same movie !!!! and with arguments like this why using electricity you can use Candles to have light !!!! LOL !!!
    regards !!!

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Your argument would only be valid if rf2 would be all about graphics. But it is not.

4. Minibull

Minibull Member

Wow, that is stunning. You seem to have failed to grasp the point I was trying to make. Catastrophically.

5. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Sooo Minibull...because you don't care about something, no one else should? Is that what your saying? Those that do wish to talk about Graphics should just shut up and play the game (I can't at the moment because I am not at home)

You tend to end a lot of your post with demands that we just go and play the game, and desist from posting about something you deem unimportant. This adds nothing to any debate and is just a little irritating.

The forum is for and about discussion about all aspects of the game, and we are all free to say anything we please (within the rules) about any aspect we choose. If you are happy with the way the game looks, fine, but we are not all of the same mind.

I say little about the look of the game now, I have said my piece in the past and now choose to wait to see how things look once the Art guys have done the next pass, and the other things in the pipeline come to pass. But others have things to say and should be able to say it without being told to go away and play the game. That is a little condescending. I assume you do not mean it that way but that is how some may see it.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I have no intentions of sending it to any at this time. Perhaps that is where the fear is coming from though, so thanks for bringing it up... My main chance in stance is to no longer try to talk people out of TRYING rF2 who are 'ordinary people'. I've been actively doing that when someone mails in to ask about it, etc. Now I'm going to tell them to try it, and telling them they have 30 days. Hope that clarifies, a bit?

7. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I'm really trying. :)

8. Seth

Seth Registered

as you can see i'm not the only one understanding your words in that way... just take a look at what King-of-redemption said. So maybe you did't mean that but that's what everyone can understand from the way you'r saying it.
    Regards.

9. Seth

Seth Registered

Hello TIG_green
    i know it's not all about graphics, if you look at my post i'm telling also that the work done about physic is certainly the best but i just don't understand that in 2013 we are going to play with a game that's lokking like a Game from 2010 (I refer to Ferrari virtual academy) and everybody seems to be satisfied to say you can't have both Graphics and Physics. That's completly false, for exemple Ferrari virtual academy has great physics but old graphics, they worked and develop Assetto Corsa whitch has the same evoluate physics from FVA....And they develop great graphics under DX11...So the argument You can't have both makes no sense !!! that's just what i'm saying... nothing else.
    Regards

Sorry for my bad english, i'm french.

10. 10speed

10speed Registered

There is no such correlation. Many things are still wrong since the first build and haven't been fixed. But why report them over and over again with each new build? If there was any noticeable bugfixing I would spend the time and report bugs. But that's useless I guess because progress is barely noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  11. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Fair enough. I do hope for good graphics too but not at any cost. It is all about balancing. If you do great graphics that can lead to lower fps and that again means less customers (everyone can not affort powerful hardware). It is also about time and money. We do not want spend all our money so developers have limited amount of money. And because time is money then there is limited amount of time in which developers have to get the package together...that lead to making compromises in what features to take into the game.

And your english is good enough. I am not native english speaker either if you did not notice :D

12. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

I wouldn't say we're satisfied. I for one care a huge amount about graphics, having done graphics development for the past 8 or so years. But, the truth is, graphics is easier. Why is it easier? Mostly because there is SO MUCH done in terms of computer graphics. There are a lot of resources. Also, graphics are usually easier to tack onto the game later on. Physics defines the core gameplay and the features. But pretty graphics? You can pretty much stick that on whenever you want. What ISI is really doing here is pioneering racing simulator physics, at least at the consumer level. That's the main selling point for now, and it's important for them to maintain that. I think, once the physics and gameplay are stable and complete, graphics will probably get another look. :)

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

I'm not at at trying to sound condescending, no way. And I never said that people should not care about the graphics and that only I am right. Some people will judge a game based on that, which is something we have already seen amongst the community. That is their call, they can do as they please. I would not like to play rFactor 2s physics engine on Ayrton Sennas Monaco GP graphics engine. What we have though is a good looking game, the representation of most things seems correct to me. There is not much eye candy, but it seems like that is the stuff that comes after the base has been sorted out.

What I was trying to get across was what I found interesting in that when you are actually going for it in the middle of the game, you are so focused on the driving/shooting/whatever, that it all seems to disappear. This happens to me on almost every game I play, hence the story about watching my friend gaming. Course for some the detail won't disappear, but if you are focused on the driving and hitting the apex, you wont be looking at the buildings or whatever. The part leading on from that is the physics, which is what matters in the actual driving and the clipping of those apexes. Perhaps it wasn't made clear enough that it is that I was interested in. The way stuff gets blocked out while driving.

I said that I find the graphics to be fine. Following that, I said it maybe is because I don't look at the graphics. That was supposed to give some idea as to how maybe I'm not the right judge of that. Very little of my time on track is spent cruising and looking around. If I'm not on a warmup lap looking at tyres and brakes, I'm racing, and if I'm not doing that I am in the pits looking at setup or sector times. Similarly, someone may spend all their time puttering around wanting to enjoy brilliant visuals. They will notice big issues for sure, and I never said they should just deal with it/shutup and go away. They can share their opinion like any of us do here, thats what makes the place interesting. To take issue with the idea that the game has 3 year old graphics though...forgive me for the way I interpreted that...but it's not hard to see how some would interpret that opinion as spoilt...which is then that persons opinion. Not once did I say that was wrong.
    I was quite surprised to see animated horses at Spa, trotting and grazing. I only saw them after losing control and rolling to a stop where I ended up face to face with one. That was cool to see, except that he didn't run away hollering like a nutcase as I almost took his head off...but I digress XD.

Besides, the one thing that is mega important to me is the sounds ingame, which I find to be really crucial for an alive feeling car. What impressed me with Simbins titles was how great they captured the mess of noises in a car, and the bangs and crackles, to give you what could almost be seen as an auditory overload. Anyway, this is more of my opinion though... Some play with low volume, I'm sure some play with desktop speakers. Some players may not even know what is causing these odd sounds, or even the types of engines making these certain sounds. Fine by me.

14. Knight of Redemption

Ah but by suggesting that people stop talking about graphics and just play the game you leave the impression that only your opinion is of value, I am perfectly capable of seeing chasing shadows, pop up, lack of reflections, bad colour balance, bland textures, lack of rain on screen, wipers that fly off the car and a host of other things while racing. Your opinion that the graphics are adequate is just your opinion, and I can disagree with it without telling you to stop voicing it and just go back to playing the game...yes I know you didn't say that directly, but it kinda felt that way. But that is water under the bridge, and as far as I'm concerned you have made it clear that it was not your intention to offend :)

The look is dated, there is no getting away from it, but the feel is cutting edge and that is why I don't tend to join graphics debates, many who know more than me say graphics can get bolted on at a later date, so I assume most if not all the things I find visually irritating will at some point go away. Tim has also responded on previous threads assuring that there is more to come This I can live with. Though on topic I feel removing the Beta tag before some of the more basic issues have been put right is a mistake, but hey it's not my call and anyway I may be wrong, I am not or ever have been a software developer.

Sound, yes I'm with you on that, bit of a mixed bag so far but that is not something that needs next gen or even currant gen kit to get right, that is old school tech and just needs some love and dedication to get right. I'm looking forward to surround sound being implemented. I am also one of those that find sound as important as everything else. I suppose that is it right there, all aspects need to work together to create a whole. Most of us here all want the same thing really, for rF2 to live up to expectation and for ISI to knock the ball out the park.

15. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

:)

16. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Great... They closed the only thread that i have created wich has more posts than my own posts on it.
    Now i have to spend my time on this topic wich i only understand 60% of what was written and where people understand only 10% of my posts and 90%of people wich achieve to decipher ignore what i've said and the rest 10% just disagree about.
    Just want to say to Cdnracer that the report button still working. Start to use it to give me the pleasure to see you being banned to llaugh about it. I told once if wasn't for him my status will ne " the chosen one". Now all my green dots are gone.... Chuif.... :( i want a refund for that.
    OT: This thread go to nowhere from now.. Everyone posted your opinion, nobody will change their mind, Isi still going with their buldozer way of dealing with standard users.
    Damn Cdnracer. The cause of all problems in this forum.

17. Knight of Redemption

Please, not on this thread, it will just end up closed.

18. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Lol. Ok, sorry. Don't do it anymore.

19. Knight of Redemption

20. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Hello there. How are you today? Time for you to move on me thinks. ;)